Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 03:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
He's correct but he's a statist scumbag so his answer isn't to abolish the government or even the connection it has to big tech but to impose more government intervention (he rambles about laws and the Constitution which is fictional nonsense).

I mean...there is no such thing as a private business because the State exists or the belief in it among nearly everyone. When I give my opinion on this topic I always say "private business" and I'm technically wrong. Sure, you've got me. But...

I'm talking about in theory. All businesses should be private. And in that paradigm as long as you don't infringe upon the rights of others you own your mind, body, and fruits of your labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
snoop.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...and-instagram/

Old 05-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
As Uncle Bully's video pointed out, there are technically no private companies under the paradigm of statism. Where I differ with the creator of that video is that there should be no State welfare to big tech (no State at all but I digress)...not a ruling by the State on whether social media outfits are publishers or platforms under U.S. law (Easter Bunny law) as that guy does.

So Team Red and Team Blue will just chase their own tails on this one...per usual. Both want the State to feed them, burp them, and change their diapers...they just differ on how it should be executed.

In theory though, only individuals can own something and those individuals have every right to associate with whoever they please. Let the unbridled free market rule the day. That's something neither team is ready to embrace.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
This would be an interesting argument to hear a couple of judges or lawyers have. If Facebook is merely an avenue to share thoughts and opinions, then I would think free speech is protected. If they are not, then they need to promote themselves as something else. Walking a very thin line now in this country when we let MEDIA organizations decide who gets censored. Scary chit!
Facebook never promoted itself as a 'thought sharing' outlet. They always marketed as a place to share with family and friends. They never suggested that it should be anything more.

This is not scary at all. They can create their own sites -- the internet is a big place...find their niche. Facebook and Twitter aren't it.

Somebody needs to create something else where they won't control who says what where.....

Funny -- folks seem to have real issue with Facebook controlling who posts what where -- but we are all on a site that the rules are pretty strict.

And Trump is very clear and specific tonight -- he's not worried about Farrakhan being banned -- just the conservative thinkers.

If that's not disgusting -- as President of the USA not talking about what is best for all Americans -- just worried about his base.

Then yes you have lost sight of what this country was suppose to be.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
If a baker can refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple, then Facebook can refuse to serve a customer....

Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If a baker can refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple, then Facebook can refuse to serve a customer....
Are you for both having full property rights and freedom to associate minus government regulation as well as any voluntary business dealings with the government?

That's the only consistent approach to this issue IMO.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:38 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Default FB bans three right wing and one left and calls them all "Dangerous"

Facebook Bans Right-Wing Figures Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos
The bans mean that both platforms are erasing all representation the conservative pundits have had over the services. Other figures getting booted include black nationalist Louis Farrakhan, white supremacist Paul Nehlen, and conspiracy theorist Paul Joseph Watson.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/368132/fa...ilo-yiannopoul

Personally I can understand Alex Jones and Farrakhan. But to ban them not for what they have posted on FB, but that they also posted ELSEWHERE and that was enough to have them banned. If I dare post anything that supports what P. J. Watson says I could easily be banned also.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1042015002/

Most reporting on this topic has focused on the banning of conspiracy-monger Alex Jones from many social media platforms. But the censorship drive goes well beyond Infowars. Conservative author Doug Wead published a detailed analysis showing how Google systematically stifled his content from being available on Youtube and in Google search results. John Hinderaker writes how Google did the same to Dennis Prager and his Prager University videos, and when Prager went to court over it, Facebook piled on and reduced the reach among his 3 million followers to zero. And a confidential memo by Media Matters from 2017 detailing how major social media platforms can collude to eliminate “right-wing propaganda" and "fake news” was recently exposed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1042015002/

Facebook said it was going to remove the accounts, fan pages, and groups affiliated with these individuals on both Facebook and its sister site, Instagram, after it reevaluated the content that they had posted previously, or had examined their activities outside of Facebook, the company said. The removal also pertains to at least one of the organizations run by these people, Jones’ Infowars. (Emphasis added.)

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...rrant-concern/

Is this what will become of this once great country? To silence "Everyone" that makes you feel uncomfortable? When will feelings no longer be used to try and destroy intelligence?

Old 05-04-2019, 01:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Would you want someone to come on your property and shout from the rooftop of your house all kinds of vile, hateful stuff you strongly disagree with? I hope not. Until the government starts banning stuff, I'm not concerned what Facebook does. It's their property. We're supposed to have property rights.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:59 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Good, it is about time. Hopefully all social media platforms will ban those idiots. And before someone shoots "free speech", the government is not banning them, Facebook is. You don't like it then get off FB! By the way, someone needs to tell Trump what free speech means.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:03 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
It's all fine and dandy until it's you they decide cannot have a voice on their platform. But hey it's their show and I don't need a ticket. I can search for crap I want to read myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies