Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 07:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
LOL....how brave of you...I despise pitiful snowflakes that report things...its why I have 3 FB accounts...In fact my main comes off ban tomorrow...thank goodness...Never gonna shut me up though.
Well, bully for you?

I'm shocked that one or more of your FB accounts are banned, though. Keep fighting the good fight, ORION, you're making a difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I know right? It's not like a bakery not making a cake or anything.

What protected class was violated by FB's actions?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
But it's not really that simple, my friend. We're not just talking about Facebook. Look at what happened to The Daily Stormer. They were essentially banned from the internet. No one would host them, no one would offer site security, etc. All of the major tech companies collectively refused to work with them. They had no means to create their own platform. And why? Because they expressed an opinion that others were uncomfortable with? That should frighten everyone.

That's closer to being allowed to use the street, but being banned from going into any store. And using the street means walking, because all of the stores have agreed not to sell you any gas, or even put air in your bike tires. And you can't just build your own store because the real estate brokers and contractors won't work with you either. Do you see what I'm saying?

Who the hell is the Daily Stormer?

So, what's your solution - big daddy .gov steps in and forces companies to do business with people they don't want to? That doesn't sound very conservative to me.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
But it's not really that simple, my friend. We're not just talking about Facebook. Look at what happened to The Daily Stormer. They were essentially banned from the internet. No one would host them, no one would offer site security, etc. All of the major tech companies collectively refused to work with them. They had no means to create their own platform. And why? Because they expressed an opinion that others were uncomfortable with? That should frighten everyone.

That's closer to being allowed to use the street, but being banned from going into any store. And using the street means walking, because all of the stores have agreed not to sell you any gas, or even put air in your bike tires. And you can't just build your own store because the real estate brokers and contractors won't work with you either. Do you see what I'm saying?
They didn't “collectively†refuse to work with them. Their views are repugnant to the vast majority of people. I would not want to provide them MY platform, if I had one. These other owners all feel the same way, individually. It is not a conspiracy.

But that is the way the free market works. That is why bigotry is bad for business. No government entity should have the right to tell a person what they can and can’t say, but the market can. And if you force me to provide them a platform, aren’t you violating MY free speech? I don’t want any part of the things that they say, so now you are going to force me to broadcast their voice against my will?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
It's a little disingenuous to say "that's how the free market works" when those who carry the market signals simply cut off those signals on a whim. The market was already working by determining the popularity of the messages and the ability to monetize them before those signals were terminated. Once again, the signal carriers are perfectly free to do that -- IF they are willing to give up the legal protections of being mere communication conduits and assume the liabilities of being content publishers.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 AM

903 posts, read 583,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Ridiculous. We get most of our information now through Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc. What are we supposed to do, start our own giant social media company if we don't like them?

Based on other responses, I wonder if this was sarcasm. Because that is exactly what you should do if you don't like them.

cd :O)

Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Who the hell is the Daily Stormer?

So, what's your solution - big daddy .gov steps in and forces companies to do business with people they don't want to? That doesn't sound very conservative to me.

So, I Googled Daily Stormer - oh, boo-hoo. Some neo-Nazi site that advocates for genocide against Jews and denies the Holocaust can't find someone to host their website?

Good riddance. Also, I noticed that he has claimed Alex Jones as an inspiration. Not surprising.

If that's the best your "slippery slope" argument can produce, it's even more pathetic than most.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Exactly, we never see left wingers quoting, praising, or cheering Farrakhan. As a matter of fact, the only ones who mention him are Trump supporters. As far a Jones, he is quoted, quit often as gospel, by numerous Right-wingers in here.
lol riiiight

A racist defending the Leader of the Nation of Racists. The left supports these racist scumbags. The right has nothing to do with them.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
Think about what kind of person advocates for those kinds of people.. I am no longer responding the 8 here who have shown they carry similar feelings...That kind of hatred deserves no public platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So, I Googled Daily Stormer - oh, boo-hoo. Some neo-Nazi site that advocates for genocide against Jews and denies the Holocaust can't find someone to host their website?

Good riddance. Also, I noticed that he has claimed Alex Jones as an inspiration. Not surprising.

If that's the best your "slippery slope" argument can produce, it's even more pathetic than most.

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Should FB be muzzling people? No. That's the difference between the left and the right.

As for Laura Loomer, someone should've thrown a net over her long ago. No one cares what you're saying when you act like this:

https://www.wibc.com/blogs/chicks-ri...my-life-ruined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies