Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Throwing millions of people from the middle class into poverty has consequences. Drug abuse is one of them.
This is true...except I would add that many of those people have always been in poverty in one sense (KY and WV), but others are newly minted such as many from Ohio and the Midwest.

Another "little problem" of unregulated Capitalism. Why pay a worker $20 or more an hour here when you can pay $2 in Mexico? Basic economics.

But there is more to the current epidemic than just those former middle class white folks. There is the bigger picture realization of the failure of our system to address most all modern problems. There is, frankly, a lot of ignorance...and it's not ignorance that desires to leave ignorance behind. It's ignorance that glorifies itself.

There is no cure for that except for the Empire to fade even more.

If I was unemployed and living in a trailer in the hills of KY I'd probably want to do a lot more opiates too. It takes away much of the pain of living.

Many people don't think these things through, but there was very good reason a guy like Rushbo became an opiate addict. That is, he probably could not have done his job (hate radio) because the disconnect between reality and his BS was so great that a normal person could not bridge the gap. But if you take enough pills it all settles into place.

When an opiate high beats a life high, opiates win. There will be no fixing of this problem except in individual mindsets. Meanwhile, many patients that truly are in pain will be treated like toddlers by doctors who not have the state and Fed government breathing down their necks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 08:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The vast majority of this happened under GWB....I'm not saying he "did it", but that the history of Perdue Pharma and the Florida Pill Mills and Ohio, etc. happened in that time frame.

The Gubment was too tied up in other things...like wars....to care much about domestic issues. In fact, domestic issues were largely ignored. It was all about the warmonger and money...and, hey, there were 100's of BILLION made from selling the "legal" opiates. It was a regular party......

You'd have to build a wall around doctors, big pharma, chemists and everyone else in the USA responsible for all of this. Heck, just one family was responsible for probably 50% of it (the Sacklers)...and they got hospitals and Art Galleries named after them and all kinds of awards.

Ain't Capitalism grand? After it gets done selling you the pills to kill yourself with..and corrupting the doctors, pharmacists and others...THEN, it tells you all to fight among yourselves about keeping brown hard-working Christian refugees out!

Even George Orwell couldn't make up fiction with this much ignorance.
The tobacco industry did the EXACT same thing decades ago...they lied about how addictive their products were and encouraged people to use them...but unlike opioids, they were allowed to continue selling their deadly products unrestricted!

Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
This is true...except I would add that many of those people have always been in poverty in one sense (KY and WV), but others are newly minted such as many from Ohio and the Midwest.

Another "little problem" of unregulated Capitalism. Why pay a worker $20 or more an hour here when you can pay $2 in Mexico? Basic economics.

But there is more to the current epidemic than just those former middle class white folks. There is the bigger picture realization of the failure of our system to address most all modern problems. There is, frankly, a lot of ignorance...and it's not ignorance that desires to leave ignorance behind. It's ignorance that glorifies itself.

If I was unemployed and living in a trailer in the hills of KY I'd probably want to do a lot more opiates too. It takes away much of the pain of living.

Many people don't think these things through, but there was very good reason a guy like Rushbo became an opiate addict. That is, he probably could not have done his job (hate radio) because the disconnect between reality and his BS was so great that a normal person could not bridge the gap. But if you take enough pills it all settles into place.

When an opiate high beats a life high, opiates win. There will be no fixing of this problem except in individual mindsets. Meanwhile, many patients that truly are in pain will be treated like toddlers by doctors who not have the state and Fed government breathing down their necks.
Good post. A lot of truth there.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:

Overall, this is a good post.

"There is, frankly, a lot of ignorance"

Truer words have never been spoken.

"Many people don't think these things through"

Also very true, although money and corruption are just as responsible as ignorance for much of modern society's ills.

"he probably could not have done his job (hate radio) because the disconnect between reality and his BS was so great that a normal person could not bridge the gap"

Why did you have to go there? You ruined your otherwise great post by interjecting your own version of "hate" rhetoric, based not on reality but on politics. Both sides of the political arena are so guilty of this that reality is so obfuscated that it cannot win, and it's been that way for quite some time now.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Throwing millions of people from the middle class into poverty has consequences. Drug abuse is one of them.
The typical heroin addict is a white male in his early 20’s with a long history of poly substance abuse for recreational purposes.

Heroin is an equal opportunity destroyer.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Overall, this is a good post.

"There is, frankly, a lot of ignorance"

Truer words have never been spoken.

"Many people don't think these things through"

Also very true, although money and corruption are just as responsible as ignorance for many of modern society's ills.

"he probably could not have done his job (hate radio) because the disconnect between reality and his BS was so great that a normal person could not bridge the gap"

Why did you have to go there? You ruined your otherwise great post by interjecting your own version of "hate" rhetoric, based not on reality but on politics. Both sides of the political arena are so guilty of this that reality cannot win.
Well, that's really the same thing!

Whether one is rich or poor...if their life is somehow filled with inner or outer pain, they will seek a remedy. You seem to agree this is relevant for the "Rushbo listener" who loves ignorance and sits in his trailer with opiates, yet don't see that it also fits people much higher up.

Good drugs make it much easier to do things. Heck, much of the German Army ran on opiate/meth (or similar) combos. I read tales of German tank men...they did superhuman stuff fueled by these pills. No way they could have done what they did without them.

A separate discussion is whether the use of substances - be it coffee, booze, opiates, weed, uppers, etc is "good" or "bad" in general. I happen to believe things are OK in moderation and actually can enhance life.

But most of us would agree that folks who do 10X or 20X the normal doses on a regular basis often become detriments to society and economics (the OP of this thread).

Don't take it personally. Heroin, opiates and even weed (the word Assassin comes from Hashish, which would be smoked heavily before the deed) have been used to allow people to do things they would not normally do.

"mid 16th century: from French, or from medieval Latin assassinus, from Arabic ḥaÅ¡īÅ¡ī ‘hashish-eater’"

Old 05-04-2019, 10:46 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:

Whether one is rich or poor...if their life is somehow filled with inner or outer pain, they will seek a remedy. You seem to agree this is relevant for the "Rushbo listener" who loves ignorance and sits in his trailer with opiates, yet don't see that it also fits people much higher up.

Good drugs make it much easier to do things. Heck, much of the German Army ran on opiate/meth (or similar) combos. I read tales of German tank men...they did superhuman stuff fueled by these pills. No way they could have done what they did without them.

A separate discussion is whether the use of substances - be it coffee, booze, opiates, weed, uppers, etc is "good" or "bad" in general. I happen to believe things are OK in moderation and actually can enhance life.

But most of us would agree that folks who do 10X or 20X the normal doses on a regular basis often become detriments to society and economics (the OP of this thread).

Don't take it personally. Heroin, opiates and even weed (the word Assassin comes from Hashish, which would be smoked heavily before the deed) have been used to allow people to do things they would not normally do.

"mid 16th century: from French, or from medieval Latin assassinus, from Arabic ḥašīšī ‘hashish-eater’"
See? That's more like it. You left politics out completely, and commented only on reality, facts, logic, and intelligence. It worked, and your points were successfully communicated.

I don't take it personally. I was kind of hoping you would have taken my post personally, though, in an effort to point out that you are more politically-driven than you realize, and sometimes it taints your otherwise well-grounded logic.

IMHO, of course.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:21 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,072 times
Quote:

"mid 16th century: from French, or from medieval Latin assassinus, from Arabic ḥaÅ¡īÅ¡ī ‘hashish-eater’"
Not just Germans but the US as well speed was given out like candy to assembly line workers and soldiers..the historian victor Hansen off-handily mentions his father a b-29 pilot struggling for two years to overcome his amphetamine addiction..i just watched a documentary on Peyton place and the early fifties created a new medical condition called disgruntled housewife in which a million pounds of tranquilizers were prescribed

Old 05-04-2019, 03:39 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
The opioid crisis cost the U.S. about $37.8 billion in state and federal taxes between 2000 and 2016, according to a recent study by researcher at Penn State University and published in the journal Medical Care....

Wonder why we never heard of Obama doing anything about this?[/quote]

Like so many other things, obama just didn't care.............

Old 05-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
Not just Germans but the US as well speed was given out like candy to assembly line workers and soldiers..the historian victor Hansen off-handily mentions his father a b-29 pilot struggling for two years to overcome his amphetamine addiction..i just watched a documentary on Peyton place and the early fifties created a new medical condition called disgruntled housewife in which a million pounds of tranquilizers were prescribed
Dr . Feelgood pumped up JFK and MANY other Americans.....it was all fully legal.

Sure, even today, Military has "go and no-go" pills.

Valium was the "little yellow pills" or "mothers helper" referenced by the Stones. But diet pills (speed) were also given out like candy. When I was 12 years old and just a little "husky", the doctor actually gave them to me!

A lot of this is really nothing new. My wives GF was on Barbituates for decades.....lots of them! Seconal and Tuenol and such were extremely popular. One could even buy them on the street by the 100's. Cheap.

Elvis was someone an example of a man of his time...what with all the drugs. You needed uppers to get going, tranqs for anxiety and then sleeping pills and other downers to come down.

It would be difficult to measure all the abuse of all these substances in the late 50's and 60's because data and surveys were not taken as much as these days. But anecdotes and familial experience tells me that a vast percentage of the country was doing something or another. There was no "drug war" tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies