Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Very long waiting lists, at least around here. A minimum of two years. And those waiting lists tend to prioritize single mothers over two parent families.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:43 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingOnTheCheap. View Post
I guess you missed 50% of my post??

People like us have two cars. They have only one. You cannot sell a car then buy a good one on the cheap that fast, not to mention you don't even have wheels to go look at buying the second car. You are without wheels to go to the Soup kitchens too. It's a bit dangerous.Not to mention....Good deals don't come around that often.

It's usually wiser to keep the reliable car. At least you are ensured your survival by driving yourself to soup kitchens and the food stamp office. To the ER in an emergency and so on. It's best poor folks have a nice car, or they are truly screwed. When applying for a job, youd be surprised how many look out the window to see the car you drove off in. No one wants to hire homeless people.

People need to understand the logistics of being poor. I've been there. We also had a nice car and weren't unwise enough to part with it. After getting our health cleared up, it was used to work and pull ourselves out.
WTH? You're defending the panhandlers because they only have one car? My parents only have one car, and they don't beg on the street.

Honestly, you virtue-signaling liberals are all talk. Just look at what came out about how little all the rich Democrats give to charity.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I just wonder how these folks get any money. Who carries cash these days? That and they are usually in a location that makes it very awkward to stop and cause traffic to back up behind you.

I won't lie ~ I have in the past given them money but I have since quit. It does seem like a scam to me.

It kills me when they have little kids with them. I'm sure the kids love standing out in the cold being used as props.
What really bugs me is when they come right up to you in a store and hand you a card that says "I'm deaf....please give money." That is right in your face and requires you to take action to say no and return the card. At least when they stand in the corner, you can drive by.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Having a nice vehicle doesn't equate to having money for food. It is usually inherited. Either way, they don't have 2 cars like us where they can sell one and still have transportation to obtain basic necessities. Sorry she stole some food, sadly, when you are destitute, that is likely a habit developed to survive. So nice of you to ensure they were not hungry, good for you
SHE STOLE CANDY! Stop making excuses for criminals simply because they're poor. There is absolutely no jusrification to steal candy.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think a lot of it is just virtue signaling. The police have been very public and very clear NOT to give money to these beggars, particularly those who are snarling traffic. I can't help myself, I will and do say something if I see anyone handing cash to a scammer. They are enablers to a real societal problem now. If no one gave money, the panhandlers would go away. They are aggressive enough that I almost maced one. If no one gave cash to that guy he wouldn't have been out there harassing people.
There are 4 to each major intersection here like a job. I see one guy get "off work" and walk into his apt right behind his "office". He's been scamming people for years same spot.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:09 AM

54 posts, read 35,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
WTH? You're defending the panhandlers because they only have one car? My parents only have one car, and they don't beg on the street.

Honestly, you virtue-signaling liberals are all talk. Just look at what came out about how little all the rich Democrats give to charity.
I said nothing of the sort.

I stated some facts from personal experience of being poor and reasons why it might be bad idea to sell the one reliable car they have for a less expensive one. A mini van is perfect for a family.

If the car is reliable, it is usually best to keep it. It's your transport to soup kitchens, food stamps, jobs etc.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:11 AM

54 posts, read 35,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
SHE STOLE CANDY! Stop making excuses for criminals simply because they're poor. There is absolutely no jusrification to steal candy.
I stated what I feel was her reasons, when you are poor and stealing is your only survival, it starts coming too easily. It's habit.

Now just take a few breathes...in and out.

I find these discussions get heated because dirt poor people who haven't sunk quite as low, get offended.
They think all situations are or were, their situations not seeing the entire picture.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:22 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
I stated what I feel was her reasons, when you are poor and stealing is your only survival, it starts coming too easily. It's habit.

Now just take a few breathes...in and out.

I find these discussions get heated because dirt poor people who haven't sunk quite as low, get offended.
They think all situations are or were, their situations not seeing the entire picture.

It appears to be projection on your part, livingonthecheap.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Maybe if you quit the snide remarks you'd learn something yourself

Take your own advice then let me know how it worked for you

unlike you i read the whole post, and unlike you i applied some reading comprehension as well. our marine didnt call CPS, he said he would, and then he FAKED a call to CPS, at which point the woman took off.

Quote:
I guess you missed 50% of my post??

People like us have two cars. They have only one.

are you sure? perhaps she had two more at home, that are in equal condition. you know of only one car that she had because she used to to get out of the place to avoid having her children possibley taken away, and being found out to be fraud.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:11 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Go back and read and you will feel foolish. I was responding TO the attack
What attack? The person you claimed "attacked" you merely told you to read the whole post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies