Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Here is where it gets quite murky. At precisely what moment does a fetus (or a zygote) become a "human" such that it has "a right to life"?

I struggle with the abortion issue because I see both sides of the argument as being meritorious to a degree.
Presence of consciousness is the only usable metric that doesn't set up all kinds of self conflicting/defeating logic in actual real world application. Even then you have to content with bodily autonomy rights.

Heartbeat is a stupid metric, entirely derived from emotion and magical thinking, that makes no sense and is not consistent with our existing treatment of situations such as brain dead people in vegetative comas, ect. When someone talks about heartbeat as a metric of being classified as a person with full rights you already know they are coming from a place of emotion rather than logic.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
But that doesn't apply to women in your mind, right? THEIR basic right to life doesn't matter?
All that matters to them is the fact that the women committed the "sin" of having sex out of wedlock or when they weren't ready to procreate.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM

603 posts, read 442,759 times
Quote:
Here is where it gets quite murky. At precisely what moment does a fetus (or a zygote) become a "human" such that it has "a right to life"?

I struggle with the abortion issue because I see both sides of the argument as being meritorious to a degree.
I too struggle with it because a lot of pro-choice arguments are essentially well founded and a lot of pro-life arguments are quite obviously based on pure religious beliefs.

I feel they fail to address the central issue ... in fact really the ONLY issue which is the one you have raised.

It’s scientifically proven that a split cell with unique DNA is created the moment of conception and this for me is the telling moment.

Therefore pretty much all arguments however well founded become secondary to that.

It’s quite awful because people are often in extremely difficult circumstances and it’s natural that you would want to help them.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:

That's why I don't support late term abortions except in the cases of rape or incest.

I don't feel that any government, fed or state, should take any part in limiting abortion in the first 3 months.

It's bad policy, and it's bad for the country that we are slipping backwards like this, almost solely based on fundamentalist religious zealots making their last stand against progress.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
The risks of pregnancy and childbirth are the same regardless of the status of the gestation being wanted or unwanted. It’s reasonable to accept a certain amount of normal average risk as part and parcel of the gestation of the child.
It would not be reasonable to expect anyone to be subjected to extreme risk hence my views on the self defense argument.

If a child is wanted a woman is accepting the risk. If not and denied abortion, you (and everyone who supports anti choice) is choosing for her. Are you really unable to discern the difference?

Maybe I should be able to choose what risks you take with your body based on my beliefs?

Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
I too struggle with it because a lot of pro-choice arguments are essentially well founded and a lot of pro-life arguments are quite obviously based on pure religious beliefs.

I feel they fail to address the central issue ... in fact really the ONLY issue which is the one you have raised.

It’s scientifically proven that a split cell with unique DNA is created the moment of conception and this for me is the telling moment.

Therefore pretty much all arguments however well founded become secondary to that.

It’s quite awful because people are often in extremely difficult circumstances and it’s natural that you would want to help them.
So I am assuming you are completely against all forms of euthanasia or "pulling the plug" on brain dead individuals as that would be the only position logically consistent with the bolded belief.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 AM

603 posts, read 442,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Got it. You’re anti choice when it comes to the right to control one’s body. Your empathy is, frankly, meaningless.
Control your body all you like .... EXCEPT when controlling your body kills someone else.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
All that matters to them is the fact that the women committed the "sin" of having sex out of wedlock or when they weren't ready to procreate.
I guess they think women should only have sex when their husbands say they should.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Control your body all you like .... EXCEPT when controlling your body kills someone else.
You mean except when you believe it’s wrong.

If you really care about saving babies then you’d be ok with every man in every state that bans abortion being forced to get a vasectomy. It’s more effective than female sterilization, the pill or an IUD. If you want kids someday, just bank some sperm. No big deal.

There, I just solved the problem of abortion. I believe this is a great idea. If I trample on your right to choose what happens to your body be comforted by my empathy for you and know I’m just doing it based on my beliefs.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
You should not be forced to do donate blood or organs and you are not.

A pregnancy is a basic biological process and not equatable to donation of tissues.

A gestating child has a right to life that takes precedence over and above the mothers rights until the point of the full admissible legal self defense argument. Before that threshold is met the gestating child’s rights as the defenseless party are paramount.

I feel great empathy for those who are suffering an unwanted pregnancy but that doesn’t mean I can support murdering an innocent child as a means of alleviating their difficult circumstances.
So my blood is not circulated through the umbilical cord to provide nourishment and remove waste? That waste is not processed out using my kidneys? The calcium from my body is not leached to provide it to a fetus? My heart doesn't have to work harder to pump blood to the fetus thus putting a strain on it? My internal organs are not pushed completely out of place to accommodate a fetus?
Maybe you should explain how my body is not used to the doctors who explained the whole thing to me when I was pregnant.

A gestating child has no more right to use my body that a living breathing person does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies