U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM
 
49,020 posts, read 21,127,109 times
Reputation: 13995

Advertisements

Sanctuary cities are not only protecting criminal aliens but they are also protecting those who are in our country illegally but haven't yet been convicted of a crime. Neither group should be protected from ICE.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2019, 10:55 AM
 
4,478 posts, read 1,768,228 times
Reputation: 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What a joke. Note the omission. Florida will not do E-Verify.

In other words, they LOVE their immigrant workers and consumers, but to gin up certain elements of the GOP base they will make proclamations.

If you (righties) can explain to me right here....in this thread...why the FL. legislature did not institute E-Verify with heavy penalties I am all ears!

But you can't. Because you know the truth. The GOP interests need that cheap labor. It's the reason why FL keeps their min. wages low and why 46% of the residents aren't making it.

Yet...the very same Gov. will declare that "things have never been better". Is he really saying that this 46% is something to be proud of?

When my wife was an elected official her cohorts just loved to pass all these "declarations".....constantly. None of them meant anything...all "patriotic" claptrap. In fact, most of it was warmongering....being as our county and much of the state was controlled by Lockheed Martin, etc.
Wow you sure get worked up over nothing. This is specifically addressing the procedures between federal and local LE. Has nothing to do with employment. I agree they should make it mandatory, but doesn't make sense in this bill. By the way, I'm sure you already know, everify works half of the time since it doesn't catch illegals using stolen identities. It's funny how when they do something you guys always resort to pointing out what else they're not doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM
 
34,242 posts, read 13,096,483 times
Reputation: 12951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sanctuary cities are not only protecting criminal aliens but they are also protecting those who are in our country illegally but haven't yet been convicted of a crime. Neither group should be protected from ICE.
You are spot on. Good job !!!

Glad to see you weren't distracted by off topic comments and posts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Long Island
45,827 posts, read 18,899,482 times
Reputation: 11039
Anyone know the specifics of the bill, holding periods, increase in LE resources? Sounds like he is pandering, what are the FL sanctuary cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
35,605 posts, read 21,925,035 times
Reputation: 22072
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
another rising star in the Republican Party. Why don't the Democrats have any credible candidates?
Well, they have AOC to look forward to when she grows up. Oh wait-the world will have ended by then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM
 
34,242 posts, read 13,096,483 times
Reputation: 12951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Anyone know the specifics of the bill, holding periods, increase in LE resources? Sounds like he is pandering, what are the FL sanctuary cities.
There is accountability for those who want to defy immigration law. Accountability is something we don't often see in gov.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/flo...-sign-into-law

The legislation would require local officials to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainers for undocumented immigrants who are arrested or convicted of a crime, exempting crime victims and witnesses. It would ban local governments from enacting sanctuary policies to protect those immigrants from deportation and require them to notify ICE when an inmate subject to a detainer is released.
No Florida city or county currently has a sanctuary policy. But Republicans said it would ensure respect for federal immigration laws by preventing local and state officials from refusing to comply. Under the bill, the governor could suspend officials who defy immigration laws and they could be sued by the attorney general to force compliance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Status: "What a long strange trip" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: 89434
6,608 posts, read 4,104,295 times
Reputation: 4731
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
another rising star in the Republican Party. Why don't the Democrats have any credible candidates?
Because they're too busy trashing Trump. The entire democrat platform is orange man bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
8,288 posts, read 4,928,774 times
Reputation: 6841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Such baloney - all smoking mirrors -and propaganda -
"Smoking mirrors" LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Long Island
45,827 posts, read 18,899,482 times
Reputation: 11039
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
There is accountability for those who want to defy immigration law. Accountability is something we don't often see in gov.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/flo...-sign-into-law

The legislation would require local officials to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainers for undocumented immigrants who are arrested or convicted of a crime, exempting crime victims and witnesses. It would ban local governments from enacting sanctuary policies to protect those immigrants from deportation and require them to notify ICE when an inmate subject to a detainer is released.
No Florida city or county currently has a sanctuary policy. But Republicans said it would ensure respect for federal immigration laws by preventing local and state officials from refusing to comply. Under the bill, the governor could suspend officials who defy immigration laws and they could be sued by the attorney general to force compliance.
Providing holding facilities was an issue with Miami and other locations in addition to the occupation of LE while they escort to prison for minor traffic infractions. Does the bill provide funding for all the additional resources.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 12:01 PM
 
18,094 posts, read 16,369,776 times
Reputation: 25191
Good, I am 100% for this.

Every level of law enforcement and government should cooperate fully with each other, no matter the laws being enforced. If there is a federal warrant out for a murder suspect, I fully expect local police to detain and transfer this person over, just as I expect the FBI to detain and turn over someone to local authorities if there is a warrant. Being illegal should not get any special privileges from this cooperation that a citizen or legal resident would never, ever get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top