U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 PM

18,094 posts, read 16,363,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I live in Ft Lauderdale (the air-show kicks ass - just got back from there), and unlike you, I know there are no sanctuary cities in FL. Easy "promise" to keep.
Oh, I know there are no sanctuary cities in Florida, however, there should not be any, and the state passing this will quiet down the talk about creating such things, like here in Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So you want local LE to build extra facilities and have LE spend hours locking up illegal immigrants on minor traffic violations rather than fighting real crime. How long do they have to hold them until ICE shows up, 10 days a month and where are they putting them. These are sheriffs in major cities that think this is a bad idea for many reasons but DeSantis knows better, just more political grandstanding by a political hack.
There is none of this now even with no sanctuary cities in Florida, so I have no idea where you think all of a sudden the need for this stuff will happen.

But even if so, yes, I am all for it. If more facilities are needed, build, build, build. The word needs to get out that if you are illegal, do not come to Florida.

But seems you have zero issue with local authorities holding US citizens wanted by the feds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is no issue in FL this is what is known as a solution looking for a problem. Maybe we need a resolution on Big Foot in the Everglades.
Many cities were starting the talk of creating a sanctuary status, I know here in Miami there was more and more talking of it.

If it is not such an issue, then why you or anyone even cares if it gets passed then?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 11:29 PM

18,487 posts, read 5,732,889 times
To quote Diamond and Silk: Sanctuaries are for birds.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:00 AM

34,230 posts, read 13,087,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Technically, but the overall effect is the same.
Same like being vested is the same as not being vested.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 AM

45,779 posts, read 18,882,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
She is still wrong when she said, "Florida will not do E-Verify" Post #6 this thread.
On that she is 100% wrong. as are you with the 100%.

As I have shown they did it through EO.

As per your link, there are two states that have passed it. Why is burden on the GOP when they don't control all the other 48 states ? Its not. The democrats don't want it either.

Its a ridicules topic to begin with when so many states have failed to pass it or improve it so it could get passed, and was never intended to be the topic of this thread. It doesn't matter what party is in power E-Verify never gets any traction. Its nothing more than a peeing contest between GOP & Dems.

On the other hand states passing bans on sanctuary cities/states is catching on and more than two states have passed legislation. See the link its from the Communist News Network so lefties should approve.

These states have banned sanctuary cities
https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/08/polit...ans/index.html

At least seven states have banned sanctuary cities

More than 80 bills related to so-called sanctuary policies are pending across the country, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
Just looking at the Texas law SB4 it has been ineffective and is still being challenged. They cant even define sanctuary city except in vague terms, what is complete cooperation with ICE. Texas is suing some of the cities and the cities are suing Texas, it bad legislation and just created a legal mess.
If they really wanted to do something they could put some teeth in E-Verify enforcement but refuse to take action, much easier to pander to their constituency with this sanctuary city nonsense.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:38 AM

45,779 posts, read 18,882,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

There is none of this now even with no sanctuary cities in Florida, so I have no idea where you think all of a sudden the need for this stuff will happen.

But even if so, yes, I am all for it. If more facilities are needed, build, build, build. The word needs to get out that if you are illegal, do not come to Florida.

But seems you have zero issue with local authorities holding US citizens wanted by the feds?

Many cities were starting the talk of creating a sanctuary status, I know here in Miami there was more and more talking of it.

If it is not such an issue, then why you or anyone even cares if it gets passed then?
If they don't have a problem then why pass the law.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:52 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,262,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
She is still wrong when she said, "Florida will not do E-Verify" Post #6 this thread.
On that she is 100% wrong. as are you with the 100%.

As I have shown they did it through EO.

As per your link, there are two states that have passed it. Why is burden on the GOP when they don't control all the other 48 states ? Its not. The democrats don't want it either.

Its a ridicules topic to begin with when so many states have failed to pass it or improve it so it could get passed, and was never intended to be the topic of this thread. It doesn't matter what party is in power E-Verify never gets any traction. Its nothing more than a peeing contest between GOP & Dems.

On the other hand states passing bans on sanctuary cities/states is catching on and more than two states have passed legislation. See the link its from the Communist News Network so lefties should approve.

These states have banned sanctuary cities
https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/08/polit...ans/index.html

At least seven states have banned sanctuary cities

More than 80 bills related to so-called sanctuary policies are pending across the country, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

That EO is only for state agencies and their contractors. The Legislature doesn't have the guts to implement full E-Verify and they never will.
Personally, I hope all states ban sanctuary cities. The idea that a city harbors and coddles criminals should alarm everyone.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 AM

73,521 posts, read 40,758,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Oh, I know there are no sanctuary cities in Florida, however, there should not be any, and the state passing this will quiet down the talk about creating such things, like here in Miami.
It doesn't sound like you knew it. You also probably didn't know that Miami used to be one, but then decided against it. It is better to let the cities decide on their own, rather being forced into things, but I guess you believe in the big brother mentality.

Besides, you dont actually have to declare to be a sanctuary city, when you can just run things your own way. Cities will not honor the ICE demands when they start running out of funds trying to comply. That was the reason why Miami was a sanctuary city in the past. It became a financial burden on Miami taxpayers. They actually told the feds they dont mind complying if the Feds helped with the cost. At this time they (you) are forking out the money for it.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 AM

20,975 posts, read 6,846,511 times
Well, if anyone had any doubt as to what the GOP in FL is up to....

THEY PASSED A MEASURE THAT WOULD MAKE IT HARDER TO HAVE CITIZEN BALLOT INITIATIVES!

Yep.....UNLIMITED tens of millions for them to run for their offices, NO money for the environment (even tho voters approved), rolling back the ex-Felons voting...and, of course, much more that you will find out about later.

You see, to them the citizens are a pesky thing...the GOP wants to dump poo, dioxin (paper mills) and other such things into the waters and develop everything with no limits. That's all they want...in addition to cheap labor.

The Right tells us "if you don't like laws, change them". Then, when the People attempt to do, the RIGHT gets in the way of it. Even when they have lots elections or when they have won them by tiny margins (all the while controlling the Sec. of State and the elections processes).

To those who side with the GOP: At least be honest with yourself. It's about money.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned before, they came up with SQUAT for fixing the environment. Now...today...large brown blooms are reported in the Gulf Bays. They smell so much that many tourists and locals are avoiding the area and waterspouts.

"Only" 1.7 Billion gallons of sewage have been spilled in Sarasota alone. Fisherman are claiming that the billions of dead fish and other organisms have now sunk the bottom and are decaying...causing this new "brown" blooms.

Everything is great...according to Desantis. And...I see why he things so. His corporate Masters are very happy with subverting the Will of the People. If they can just get another election or two out of it....that makes it all worthwhile.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 AM

41,442 posts, read 22,553,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My goodness.

Now we have to go to True or False........

T or F

Florida requires private employers (landscapers, ag, service, hospitality, etc.) to use E-Verify and if they do not...or if they are caught hiring illegals, the penalties are swift and stern.

T or F

Florida requires private employers (landscapers, ag, service, hospitality, etc.) to use E-Verify and if they do not...or if they are caught hiring illegals, the penalties are swift and stern.

BOTH are F - False based on every piece of evidence that can be found...including words from the mouths of Texas and Florida pols and business leaders.

But you claim something otherwise. You cheer some BS declaration but have nothing to say about all this illegal activity that could be stopped in a heartbeat.

T or F

The last several presidents made E-Verify mandatory.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 AM

47,268 posts, read 20,409,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What a joke. Note the omission. Florida will not do E-Verify.

In other words, they LOVE their immigrant workers and consumers, but to gin up certain elements of the GOP base they will make proclamations.

If you (righties) can explain to me right here....in this thread...why the FL. legislature did not institute E-Verify with heavy penalties I am all ears!

But you can't. Because you know the truth. The GOP interests need that cheap labor. It's the reason why FL keeps their min. wages low and why 46% of the residents aren't making it.

Yet...the very same Gov. will declare that "things have never been better". Is he really saying that this 46% is something to be proud of?

When my wife was an elected official her cohorts just loved to pass all these "declarations".....constantly. None of them meant anything...all "patriotic" claptrap. In fact, most of it was warmongering....being as our county and much of the state was controlled by Lockheed Martin, etc.
Please save us the fake outrage.

The DEMS controlled ALL 3 branches of the fed, the White House, the Senate AND the House. Why DIDN'T THEY make e verify MANDATORY throughout the country?

Why haven't the DEM controlled cites and states made e verify MANDATORY?

Why is it ONLY dem controlled cities/states have sanctuary cities/states?

Hypocrites, to he core!

"People in glass houses should NOT throw rocks!"

Typical lib, take NO responsibility for your OWN actions THEN want to criticize the other side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies