Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:51 PM

57,215 posts, read 26,166,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Mitch at 77 is a youngster in Democratic terms. Feinstein got re-elected at 85 for another 6 year term. He's not going anywhere.
Grassley is 85

Politicians are like the weather, everyone likes to complain about them but they keep getting reelected and we wonder why our government isn't responsive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Grassley is 85

Politicians are like the weather, everyone likes to complain about them but they keep getting reelected and we wonder why our government isn't responsive.
I asked him in 1982 to help me with my claim against the Air Force's rotten new system, its AFR 400-28. His staff told me that he wouldn't help because I wasn't one of his constituents. I think he silently helped because a year later I got a 500% settlement on my claim. Even that, though, wasn't enough to cover my damages caused by the Air Force.

I was able, on my own, though, to get the GAO to shut down all existing service contracts operating under AFR 400-28, and to get all of them up for re-bid under MIL Standard 105 D. It cost the military a ton.

I was told at that time, that the GAO was the enforcing arm of the US Congress, that insured what the taxpayers paid for. During my claims with the Armed Forces Board of Contract Appeals, there were Colonels and Generals that ranted at the GAO that the GAO was not the proper forum for my claims. The military wanted my claims to be resolved by the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals - They figured they would have won, there.

I have always known that Senator Grassley was an honest man with integrity.

I don't think the GAO works, anymore, though. Otherwise, my claims against the NIH would have been settled by now.

The NIH employed both the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals AND the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals to avoid its responsibilities. The NIH spent a lot of money to evade its responsibilities.

Grassley, Oh Grassley, Where Art Thou?

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 05-05-2019 at 05:41 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 05:23 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,560,687 times
Mitch is a RINO.
Doesn’t Kentucky have any true conservatives with integrity and a spine?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
As much as I detested seeing the result, I must admit that McConnell's handling of the replacement of Antonin Scalia with Gorsuch was masterful. That was a master strategist and political operator at work!

To recount, Scalia died in Feb. 2016. Obama wanted to replace him with Merrick Garland, which would have shifted the balance of the court from 5-4 conservative to 5-4 liberal. That would have been an all-important shift.

McConnell, in accord with the Constitution and Senate rules, refused to give Garland a confirmation hearing, gambling that the GOP would take back the white house in Nov. He gambled, and against all odds, he won.

He faced massive pressure from President Obama and Democrats, but he never backed down. Have to respect and admire that...

Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Mitch is a RINO.
Doesn’t Kentucky have any true conservatives with integrity and a spine?
Kentuckians aren’t interested in a true conservative. They want a man that talks the talk of a so called true conservative, but he has to keep bringing home the pork while pretending that he really doesn’t.

It’s a poor state. Dirt poor in huge swaths of it. The last thing they want is a true conservative that would cut off the welfare. After all, they don’t see themselves as welfare recipients. “Those other people “ (blacks, Hispanics, illegal immigrants) are welfare recipients in their mind.

McConnell fits the bill.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:25 PM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
The poster you are quoting is one of the most racist posters on this forum and is showing geographical discrimination in his post just like he does in North Dakota posts.
He has something against Kentucky and North Dakota?

Old 05-05-2019, 10:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
He has something against Kentucky and North Dakota?
Well doesn’t everyone?

Old 05-05-2019, 10:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Between his and his wife and contacts they have unlimited resources and power...they don't need to be popular. All they need is the backing of people who count, like the election supervisors, sec of state in ky and other such folks.

I don't see where he or Rand brought home much bacon. If they did, KY would be advancing in all the important metrics quicker. Chances are they also have low turnout.....let me look.....yes, less than 50%.

Mitch is terrified because turnout is trending higher....and, if more people vote things won't go well for his ilk.

https://prospect.org/article/voter-t...nell-terrified
Wonder if Bevin's unpopularity will help drag down McConnell...but even Bevin isn't necessarily going to be a goner.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,455 times
I predict that Mitch McConnell who dubbed himself "The Grim Reaper" will not even run in 2020 because too much sh_t is going to hit the fan between now and then. He is a cruel and hateful man.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:45 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
He hasn't faced a tough reelection since 2008.

He last beat Democrat Alison Grimes who ran a bad campaign in 2014. Why?
As bad as McConnell is, the democrats are worse. I'd rather see McConnell, or Trump for that matter, than a identity politic playing big government democrat. The republicans are bad but the left is an absolute disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies