Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And the reward? Well, 1300 or so Tory politicians will now have way more time to tend to their gardens and other hobbies. Labour expected a win, and in comparison, I guess it could be argued they got one - they only lost 80-some seats. The UKIP got themselves a kick in the fork as well, and that couldn't have happened to a bunch of nicer people.

The Liberal Democrats, on the other hand, picked up 700+ seats. Incidentally, they're pro-EU.

May of course describes the outcome as a massive victory for Brexit, although she doesn't exactly outline why.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/03/torie...years-9410729/

It'll make no difference on a national level, of course. But - interesting, none the less...
Sorry, but you have drawn a conclusion at complete odds to reality. I thought I was reading a CNN press release for a second there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 05:46 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I asked my Brexiteer friend about the LibDem wins since I don't totally understand the UK system. I'm posting his reply for others here who would like to know:

Only a few Conservatives or Labour would have gone for Lib Dem actively. Remember these are local Council elections that have no direct effect on national actions. Neither could the Conservative or Labour votes in that sense, but the mass votes against and spoilt papers [I think he means deliberately defaced ballots] and abstentions of the normal Cons votes, throwing out excellent people who have actually been doing an excellent job for years, known and appreciated by their constituents who still threw them out, meant something as a huge message to the national Conservatives. That is the difference. The Lib Dem wins mean little - the Cons losses mean a LOT!

Old 05-05-2019, 05:52 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
EXACTLY! The same as the Pubs being handed their asses in the house!

People are waking up to the political BS!

Get them out! Get rid of the losers who act like they are the other party!

We are witnessing something that will be life changing. People are done with lip service.

Are you kidding? The GOP mid term losses were the best in modern political history. Trump did far far better than Obama. And he gained in the US Senate. That's only happened 2X other times in the last 65 years. Given the amount of money the Democrats spent, it was a devastating showing for them.

You guys are in a tremendous state of denial.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I asked my Brexiteer friend about the LibDem wins since I don't totally understand the UK system. I'm posting his reply for others here who would like to know:

Only a few Conservatives or Labour would have gone for Lib Dem actively. Remember these are local Council elections that have no direct effect on national actions. Neither could the Conservative or Labour votes in that sense, but the mass votes against and spoilt papers [I think he means deliberately defaced ballots] and abstentions of the normal Cons votes, throwing out excellent people who have actually been doing an excellent job for years, known and appreciated by their constituents who still threw them out, meant something as a huge message to the national Conservatives. That is the difference. The Lib Dem wins mean little - the Cons losses mean a LOT!

Keep in mind, this election was for local offices. It WAS NOT for control of the Parliament. For the moment, the Tories along with their DUP allies still control the Parliament, and Teresa May is still the PM.

It was a devastating loss however for the political status quo. People are furious on both sides that Parliament didn't deliver what the voters had voted for. And that failure rests squarely on the head of Teresa May and her party.

When they do get to having a general election, I expect that the Tories will be out of power or radically changed from where they are now. It's the only reason that May still clings to her seat now instead of another confidence vote that would collapse the goverment and force new elections.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What an asinine thread title. The Tories were punished for not delivering Brexit as promised, not because they were in favor of it.
That’s one way to read it. Another way to read it is how the Tories showed their incompetence on the Brexit issue. England was the only part of the UK that wanted Brexit. They forced it on the rest of the nation. Brexit was not only dumb, but extremely poorly thought out. The Conservatives had no idea what to do. On top of everything else, they’ve now rekindled Scottish desires for independence, and Northern Ireland residents are apoplectic over the idea of having to erect a hard border with Ireland per EU rules. The future of the United Kingdom lies with Europe...not some phantom alliance with the United States or some stupid notion that they can resurrect their old empire and start up the East India Trading Company again. Britain is no longer a big player anymore, and British nationalists need to get used to that fact.

They won’t get anywhere listening to Nationalist American wackos whispering nonsense in their ears.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
...England was the only part of the UK that wanted Brexit. They forced it on the rest of the nation. .
Incorrect. Wales voted 53% to leave. Only Northern Ireland & Scotland voted to stay. The rest of your post? Nonsense of you telling 18M people they don't know anything about their country.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Incorrect. Wales voted 53% to leave. Only Northern Ireland & Scotland voted to stay. The rest of your post? Nonsense of you telling 18M people they don't know anything about their country.
Wales? LMAO....stop it.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:33 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And more people in Scotland voted for Brexit than voted for the SNP at the last election.
This idea that the country is bring held to random by right-wing Little Englanders is risible.
Just read this hysterical outburst from a woke Irish hack.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/u...ions-1.3881728

Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wales? LMAO....stop it.
What's funny about Wales, it's got twice the population of Northern Ireland, only 2M less than Scotland.

If you're giving a toss about Northern Irelands vote, you can't ignore Wales vote, or if you don't care about Wales vote, you shouldn't care about Northern Irelands vote.

Oh and point of fact. The hard border between Northern and Southern Ireland is entirely on the demand of the EU on Southern Ireland. It's the reason Theresa May's 'plan' is a dumpster fire, because the UK cannot agree to it.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:07 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What's funny about Wales, it's got twice the population of Northern Ireland, only 2M less than Scotland.

If you're giving a toss about Northern Irelands vote, you can't ignore Wales vote, or if you don't care about Wales vote, you shouldn't care about Northern Irelands vote.

Oh and point of fact. The hard border between Northern and Southern Ireland is entirely on the demand of the EU on Southern Ireland. It's the reason Theresa May's 'plan' is a dumpster fire, because the UK cannot agree to it.
It's not about population, it's about the fact that Wales are so "cucked" by England (as some right-wingers say), they don't even have their own football league (NI, is ballsy enough to field a team that plays Irish football, and Welsh teams suffer at the bottom of Premier League), the language last time I went there was pretty much dead, and Wales is a "meme" of a country. Great people though, but the statistics nationwide are now grouped as "Scotland", "Northern Ireland" and "England and Wales". In ten years they might as well remove Wales from the official name (UK), because it will be as unique as Cornwall (Which used to be it's own culture) is today.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/7...inion-of-it-is

I know you don't like vice, so I specifically chose this article to show left-wing media is about the only group who don't think Welsh language and culture is dead/dying.

I think this is likely what desertdetroiter was trying to say when he mentioned Wales, "It's basically Western England at this point" and could be omitted from the UK. Hence the fat that the Welsh voted with the English means nothing, it' the English voting with the English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies