Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times

Advertisements

The problems with "inner city black youth" are many and varied. Here are a few of what I think are "major" problems and my suggestions on how to remedy them.

1. Single Mothers - Black women need to stop having children out of wedlock. Black males need to learn about birth control. This doesnt happen to asian or white youths nearly as much as it does black youths. Having a single parent in the household will more times than not yield problem children. No more "baby daddys", black female youth need to fix this.

2. Extremely poor grammar - There are too many parents, grandparents and cousins who say "I be...", "Yall fenda....", "Im is....", "let me ax you something....", etc. Learn to speak and write ENGLISH no ghetto slang. Black parents must understand that this is the one of the greatest gifts they can give to their children - the gift of literacy and knowing how to speak correctly.

3. Having "reverend", "paster", the "church" or sports figures as main influence - This is no longer the 1960s blacks and the media MUST stop looking to people with religious backgrounds as "leaders" because they are NOT. Again, this falls on the responsibility of black parents to help their children find role models who are educated and succesful, not Reverend so-and-so or Paster so-and-so or sports figures. Black youth need to find positive role models who are intellectuals not those that preach or those than can have highlight reel dunks.

4. Calling blacks to want to better themselves as "Acting white" - This is one of the stupidest things in the world. This is what less educated poorly spoken blacks call those who are educated and use correct grammar. This somehow is ingrained in the fiber of young black culture that if you want to speak correctly, write correctly or pursue intellectuals endeavors you are "acting white". Isnt this just "acting normally"? Its a tool that some people use to try to prevent others from becoming more successful than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Another thing that the youth needs to do is to stop dressing in attire that is known "gang attire". Huge baggy pants that hang so low that you can see the underwear. Dont dress like a thug and you will probably not be treated like one.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
The problems with "inner city black youth" are many and varied. Here are a few of what I think are "major" problems and my suggestions on how to remedy them.

1. Single Mothers - Black women need to stop having children out of wedlock. Black males need to learn about birth control. This doesnt happen to asian or white youths nearly as much as it does black youths. Having a single parent in the household will more times than not yield problem children. No more "baby daddys", black female youth need to fix this.

2. Extremely poor grammar - There are too many parents, grandparents and cousins who say "I be...", "Yall fenda....", "Im is....", "let me ax you something....", etc. Learn to speak and write ENGLISH no ghetto slang. Black parents must understand that this is the one of the greatest gifts they can give to their children - the gift of literacy and knowing how to speak correctly.

3. Having "reverend", "paster", the "church" or sports figures as main influence - This is no longer the 1960s blacks and the media MUST stop looking to people with religious backgrounds as "leaders" because they are NOT. Again, this falls on the responsibility of black parents to help their children find role models who are educated and succesful, not Reverend so-and-so or Paster so-and-so or sports figures. Black youth need to find positive role models who are intellectuals not those that preach or those than can have highlight reel dunks.

4. Calling blacks to want to better themselves as "Acting white" - This is one of the stupidest things in the world. This is what less educated poorly spoken blacks call those who are educated and use correct grammar. This somehow is ingrained in the fiber of young black culture that if you want to speak correctly, write correctly or pursue intellectuals endeavors you are "acting white". Isnt this just "acting normally"? Its a tool that some people use to try to prevent others from becoming more successful than they are.
You pretty much laid the foundation for reality. This guy is a realist. Don't flame this guy. I think you've said what a lot of people have been thinking of saying.. reason they haven't is the almighty race card. Race card= win the game.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks. This is why we have forums for open and HONEST discussions. Too many people are afraid to say what is on their minds or are afraid to actually offer solutions to problems.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
I grew up in a neighborhood that was very racially diverse....about 50/50. This was many, many years ago and, believe me, the AA kids I grew up with had a reason to complain. Their dads could have a college degree and they still ended up working in the foundry because there were no other jobs for AA men. But the funny thing is that the majority of those kids did very well in school, were very polite, and have gone on to have successful, good lives. But here's the thing....their dads were in the home. And their dads kept the family straight. I well remember that all a teacher had to say was; "We'll have to have your father come in for a conference" and the kid would straighten up so fast it would make your head spin. But then we had the well-meaning "war on poverty" where the government provided families with checks each month ONLY IF THERE WAS NO FATHER IN THE HOME and the destruction of the AA family began. Soon it became well known that all you had to do to get a check was to have a baby and get rid of the baby's daddy. So, while I was growing up, 90% of the AA families were two parent families, now it is almost reversed. And we ended up with a lot of single, very young mothers raising children without a father. And we wonder why kids are acting as though they have no structure, no discipline, and no guidance?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Another thing that the youth needs to do is to stop dressing in attire that is known "gang attire". Huge baggy pants that hang so low that you can see the underwear. Dont dress like a thug and you will probably not be treated like one.

It has nothing to do with thug life, it is urban wear for this generation if you know anything about fashion. No!! They should not wear this attire to their job interviews or anywhere else where a particular fashion statement is demanded. As long as I do not see the crack of their behind and the underwear is fashionable I am fine. Would I personally wear this style, no-but it is what it is and they like it and the merchants are making money!!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I grew up in a neighborhood that was very racially diverse....about 50/50. This was many, many years ago and, believe me, the AA kids I grew up with had a reason to complain. Their dads could have a college degree and they still ended up working in the foundry because there were no other jobs for AA men. But the funny thing is that the majority of those kids did very well in school, were very polite, and have gone on to have successful, good lives. But here's the thing....their dads were in the home. And their dads kept the family straight. I well remember that all a teacher had to say was; "We'll have to have your father come in for a conference" and the kid would straighten up so fast it would make your head spin. But then we had the well-meaning "war on poverty" where the government provided families with checks each month ONLY IF THERE WAS NO FATHER IN THE HOME and the destruction of the AA family began. Soon it became well known that all you had to do to get a check was to have a baby and get rid of the baby's daddy. So, while I was growing up, 90% of the AA families were two parent families, now it is almost reversed. And we ended up with a lot of single, very young mothers raising children without a father. And we wonder why kids are acting as though they have no structure, no discipline, and no guidance?
This behavior began during slavery times. Black men did not abandon children in Africa. That was shameful and lowly and did not represent the true nature of a man. The man was sent away from the family in America, his proper duty was to be seed spiller. When his seed was spilled to bring forth children, the white man sent him away to another plantation or possibly to his grave. This is what I speak to when I talk about how black men have always felt here in America. They were taught to not have any obligations to family. White men thought it was fine, so why shouldn't they follow the ways of the Master?? This should not be their cop-out and it a poor one must I say, but he was not given any significance as a man, husband, or father in our land and now everyone expects for him to meet our expectations???

White men, welfare checks, and black women have taken care of many black men in this country. This statement has not been made to dishonor him as a man, but to tell or speak to what has happened regarding his manhood here in America. White men it would do you good to go and speak to them to hear and see how they feel as a man here in America-you will get some insight on what it feels like for them-those who feel worthless. Keep in mind that many will not blame you-many times today they blame the black woman-unfortunately!! This is why I say we have to many issues to address within our own race. We do not have time to dwell on issues such as slavery, we are losing to many of our men to focus on something that does not exist any longer.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
As a Black 34 y/o man I am totaly lost for words as it relates to black youth. There is not a day that goes that I do not see black youth acting like animals and being disrespectful. I don't know who's worse the boys or the girls. It is no secret as to the way thwey act.
You are about my age (will turn 30 soon) and as I get older I start to look at the same age group you do and just shake my head. The language, lack of responsibility and respect...and the attitude problems seem to sprout off in younger and younger kids these days!

How much of this is promoted by pop/hip hop/hollywood culture? Celebs acting like brats, drinking underage, doing drugs, going to jail, spouting off at the mouth? Add to that a nation wide trend of kids spending more time with peers at school than at home with parents..there is not a one size fits all solution but something's gotta give.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 PM

374 posts, read 231,395 times
Quote:
As a Black 34 y/o man I am totaly lost for words as it relates to black youth. There is not a day that goes that I do not see black youth acting like animals and being disrespectful. I don't know who's worse the boys or the girls. It is no secret as to the way thwey act.

I have never seen anything like it before in my life. I guess when 70% are born to single family homes this is the end result. Please don't come in this thread blaming whites and racism. I am sick of it. These bad kids are the REAL terrorists. I am not as concernd about Bin laden killing as i am about black youth. Not all black youth but a hell of alot of them!!!

Before someone says it I'll say. I know white kids are unruley also but nowhere near this black youth. I mean i see it every single day. On occassion I'll see white kids acting out but I will say they are always respectful towards adults.
Well, that's what you will see in a hood that is stricken with proverty. You are a product of your envirnonment. Now, not all black people live in the ghetto. Also, what is the percentage of black kids that act like that...very small. It only takes a bunch to ruin it for the rest of the people. Now, living in proverty, in the ghetto, surrounded by crime, despair, lack of opportunity....makes young folks angry, and hopeless about their futures...so they have I dont give a F*** attitude. There is a reason for everything. Things don't just happen for no reason. Next time when you see those black kids acting up, don't say "damn those black kids are animals", say to yourself, my god...I can just imagin the type of life they must be living. And if you are black and this is going on in your community...instead of complaining about it....become a role model for those children. Come up with activities in the neighborhood like bball games. Volunteer in a youth program. Become a mentor.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,722 times
Quote:

I have never seen anything like it before in my life. I guess when 70% are born to single family homes this is the end result. Please don't come in this thread blaming whites and racism. I am sick of it. These bad kids are the REAL terrorists. I am not as concernd about Bin laden killing as i am about black youth. Not all black youth but a hell of alot of them!!!

Before someone says it I'll say. I know white kids are unruley also but nowhere near this black youth. I mean i see it every single day. On occassion I'll see white kids acting out but I will say they are always respectful towards adults.

So you have about 4 posts in here that are just simply..."anti-black" plus this one where you openly state that black kids are REAL terrorists. Judging from your previous posts I can tell that you either have a problem with your own race or you are just lying about your race. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 04-14-2008 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies