Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A girl in my sociology class did a report and showed that more non-black girls would rather date 50 cent, Nelly, Jay Z then black girls of the same age group. I don't remember what the survey's point was overall but it had something to do with interracial relationships - most likely because the girls was in one herself and she made sure the results went along with whatever theory she was providing.
Were other examples of Black men given, or only these guys? That's a very narrow focus to use if that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM

145 posts, read 435,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
Were other examples of Black men given, or only these guys? That's a very narrow focus to use if that's the case.
No I took the survey it was quite stupid if I remember, it had something to do with based on looks and what we assume of their personalities - if they had no money who would we date, only have sex with, pursue relationships with, have children by a bunch of rubbish really. Brad Pitt, Justin Timberlake, Heath Ledger, Jet Li, The Rock, Lance Armstrong, Mark Walberg and some others were on there. I'm going to dig through my room and see if I can find it. But I felt the survery was stilted, aside from will smith she only chose rappers - no athletes, no politicians, no nothing. And she picked the most hard core rappers. I think she was trying to justify something in her own personal life. She was shocked that only 8% of black females stated they would have a relationship with 50 cent - maybe because being shot at or robbed on a date isn't fun.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 PM

739 posts, read 830,478 times
I think it has become a cultural thing. The hip hop/rap music is very disrespectful, these kids don't have parents who give a damn or exercise any control over them, they aren't afraid of the police or anyone else in a position of authority. I saw this first hand when I took a sabbatical from my real estate development career several years ago and helped plan one of the largest Habitat for Humanity projects around. I got fed up trying to deal with these kids, jumped in my Mercedes and drove back to the rich, white side of town!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I am very in touch with the black community and I think that starting now black leaders should focus on their own community instead of giving so much power to everyone else around them. Who cares what other people do. People are tired of seeing one racist incident blown up on the media when there are 300,000,000 people in this country. Who cares? Especially when this doesn't represent the majority of white americans. The doors have been opened in recent decades for blacks to get make a good living for themselves. Just ask the growing number of middle class blacks who did it.
This is how some of these black leaders gain their power and fame. They must brand the enemy, create/expand/spin the war, and create a following that does not feel good about themselves and is full of fear. There is a lot of money and fame to be made in this country on fearful people and it is not a black only enterprise.

The time of uplifting messages ala MLK seems to be fading or getting pushed to the wayside.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
...they aren't afraid of the police or anyone else in a position of authority.
Apparently not. Long story short, last week I twice encountered this girl (and her boyfriend) on my way home who threatened me (on two separate nights)---simply for looking at her. Both times I tried to ignore her, but being called "b****" by her riled me up. We exchanged words. The second night I encountered her she threatened me again, and spat on me. Never in my life has anyone spat on me.

The police were called, but the kids got to them first and the police took their side of the story. All they (the police) did was condescend to me, make fun of me, and the female officer threatened to arrest me (simply for trying to give my side of the story). The kids walked away smugly laughing at me. The female police officer dismissed me, saying that we "sistahs" need to learn how to get along. And when I said "That girl's trash," I was told, "Don't call her trash. You may need to help her one day." It made me sick. I've never been threatened with an arrest or spat on in my life. There's a first time for everything, but there are things that should never happen.

So now I have to take a detour coming home from said hobby, and I have some friends who'll give me rides if need be. These hoodlums get away with that behavior because the police let them. Criminal behavior is rewarded for "keepin' it real." The female police officer (also Black) wrote me off as a "siditty princess" (I could tell by her demeanor).

I had an angry rant about this ghetto culture in another thread about this. It'll take me a long time to get over this recent incident dealing with ghetto people.

(I reported this incident to a list serv. There were other incidents of [sadly] Black youth harassing people. One woman emailed me about hers. I said "I'm sorry that happened---not all Black people act like that." Why am I apologizing for the actions of these idiots? I did nothing wrong!)

Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,423 times
What is a "siditty princess"??

It sucks that happened to you. If the cops don't have the balls to deal with them, we're in for a long hard road to seeing things change.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
What is a "siditty princess"??
Stuck-up Black woman. Of course, because I wasn't finger-waggin' and acting like a dumb-ass, my POV was dismissed.

What does it take for the police to intervene? A stabbing or a shooting? I tell you, it's ridiculous. I feel like anytime I leave the house here in DC I'm asking for trouble. Though there are good things going on with DC, there are too many bad. It is really time for me to move on and find someplace else.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Stuck-up Black woman. Of course, because I wasn't finger-waggin' and acting like a dumb-ass, my POV was dismissed.

What does it take for the police to intervene? A stabbing or a shooting? I tell you, it's ridiculous. I feel like anytime I leave the house here in DC I'm asking for trouble. Though there are good things going on with DC, there are too many bad. It is really time for me to move on and find someplace else.
I cant blame you for a second. I live 10 min away in Alexandria and seeing a young black male like myself getting shot on the news every morning in DC and PG or seeing these DC girls in gang fights is depressing and demoralizing. These DC kids who cant afford private school dont have a fair chance. The illegals take their jobs, the yuppies gentrify their neighborhoods and throw them out, Fenty, O'Malley, and J Johnson keep selling them BS. Uggh the DMV!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
(I reported this incident to a list serv. There were other incidents of [sadly] Black youth harassing people. One woman emailed me about hers. I said "I'm sorry that happened---not all Black people act like that." Why am I apologizing for the actions of these idiots? I did nothing wrong!)
I would have taken your "I'm sorry" as a comfort, a simple fact that you feel bad someone else had to suffer, not an apology. You certainly had nothing to apologize for and no reasonable person would expect you to. Being able to express sympathy is a human trait that can help us bridge the gap.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Alanboy, please. Your post is condescending to another level. Yeah, blame another group of people for the problems a community faces. This time it's the "illegals" or the "yuppies" or can't afford private schools. Numerous people face the same problems and come out the other side. It's easier to blame others than to look at the problem head on.
_____

This is in response to the comment about black kids thinking white dolls are prettier.

This is not a phenomenon of the black/white skin colors. Almost all cultures feel this way. Asian women use skin lightening soaps, etc. to lighten their skin. Equatorial women try to look lighter because they buy into the marketing ploy that lighter is better.

It happens within the black community with lighter and darker skin tones.

Part of the law of EEOC enforcement, is age, race, sex, religion, national origin and COLOR. Yes, this has been a phenomenon for some time.

It is nothing new, many people want to be what they are not and fall prey to marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies