Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:18 PM

88 posts, read 97,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The midnortheastern states are now becomming perfect with mild winters and summers that arent burning hot! I was afraid itll be too cold and others were warning me I wont like the cold but now that I see its not even freezing, it wont be a problem for me to relocate to Oil city(45 high, 35 low!)
I'm sorry but you are being totally naive and ridiculous. Because it's not that cold THIS year up here, you think it's becoming milder. WTF? Winters can be worse one year and better the next, but it does not mean that Oil City or wherever doesn't get cold. Just don't be ridiculous. You'lll still need heat...and yes, you need to push it above 50 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 01:58 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
No offense to folks who believe in global warming, I don't buy into it at all. Chew on this one, 2005 30 hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean, in 2006 1 tropical storm!

Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 PM

153 posts, read 711,285 times
Thumbs down ...

I tend to think most people who believe in global warming are nuts People are attempting to understand global weather patterns using approximately 150 years of gathered data, since there was very little recording before that. So basically they are trying to explain 1 million years of weather with 150 years of data. It just won't work. I think humanity has a bit of an ego problem to think that we could have such an effect on the weather short of nuclear war. I'm sure we have an effect, but I would argue it is MUCH smaller than we think it is.

As for this particular years weather - as the guy on the weather channel says it is "classic El Nino weather" and since there is an El Nino going on in the Pacific, I think that's pretty accurate

So don't go moving to the midwest thinking the cold and snow will never come back. You'll be sadly disappointed.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:24 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
The heat is terrible in WPB, FL. 85 degrees in my room!

To put it short, the southern states and other countries at low latitudes are becoming too warm to comfortabily live unless you have a/c 24/7
If you feel that way, you probably should move north.
Even I have no need for heat most of the time during our northern summers.
I would find 85 F indoors a little excessive, but I could comfortably handle 84 F.

I kinda thought to myself it might not enviromentally friendly me living here, but if you need A/C most of the winter it's definitely not eco-friendly you staying there. (or at least a burden to the local power grid)

I believe that the earth is warming. However I will not buy into all the propaganda.
I believe we're contributing to it, but I also believe that most of this could be a natural cycle.
(ergo, it's not our responisibility to try to stop or reverse it)
Copius amounts of greenhouse gases are emitted from volcanos, natural forest fires and wars around the world (ie. bombs).

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-19-2006 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2006, 05:40 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJohn View Post
True but if you move north you may get flooded by a melting glacier.
Just something to think about.

No glaciers in Oil city and im not moving so far north that ill be in tundraland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Well if you don't have A/C and ceiling fans it will be hot and stuffy, same goes for up north in PA come July/August.

Why do people move here and complain about the heat?

If the house comes with a/c good. If it doesnt and I need a/c ill just buy a window unit and install ceiling fans. The good thing is it gets cool at night in higher latitudes. Ive been to the northeast twice for summer camp and I was shivering at night, sweating in the day(mid 80s F) Its still alot cooler than Florida. The summers are nice and mild up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Well the earth will be cooling soon but if this "global warming" is right, Oil city will be the next spring break hot spot!

Oil city isnt considered a tourist city and thats great. I dont want thousands of tourists walking all over, I want a quiet life with low costs of living and good climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
Florida was ALWAYS hot. Global warming has caused, so far, about a 1 degree avg temp increase across the US. Global warming has NOT made a difference in heat yet. It's ALWAYS been hot in Florida and the south. Yes, even in these months it can be hot.

I remember Florida being cooler when I was a little boy. The heat is insane and unrelenting now! We have only had one "real" cool day a couple months back, was like 45 degrees and a record too! Its been at least 70 degrees and sometimes over 80 everyday! Some people like it really hot but I want cooler weather so I dont need a/c! Id say its 10 degrees warmer today than it was 100 years ago.

Quote:
I'm sorry but you are being totally naive and ridiculous. Because it's not that cold THIS year up here, you think it's becoming milder. WTF? Winters can be worse one year and better the next, but it does not mean that Oil City or wherever doesn't get cold. Just don't be ridiculous. You'lll still need heat...and yes, you need to push it above 50 degrees.

//pics.city-data.com/w1/lha19073.png (broken link)

I can live with a low of 12 degrees. It rarely gets below zero. Some people like you dont mind a little cold. Isnt it like 50 in Delaware now when it should be 25? In fact I want to visit Oil city in the middle of winter, I bet I can handle the 20 to 30 degree temperatures itll be when I visit. I cant find affordable housing in warm climates and even if I did, ill suffer from the heat instead of the cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
I tend to think most people who believe in global warming are nuts People are attempting to understand global weather patterns using approximately 150 years of gathered data, since there was very little recording before that. So basically they are trying to explain 1 million years of weather with 150 years of data. It just won't work. I think humanity has a bit of an ego problem to think that we could have such an effect on the weather short of nuclear war. I'm sure we have an effect, but I would argue it is MUCH smaller than we think it is.
So don't go moving to the midwest thinking the cold and snow will never come back. You'll be sadly disappointed.

Volcanoes are natural, deforesation and burning fossil fuels are man induced global warming. We have much more of an effect than you think! Just look at the weather maps! Its the middle of winter and yet its above freezing in 90% of the USA and even in parts of Canada!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:10 PM

88 posts, read 97,894 times
Quote:
Its the middle of winter and yet its above freezing in 90% of the USA and even in parts of Canada!
sorry, technical correction, it's not winter yet at all, it's still fall. It's widely been reported that December will be mild here, then January and Feb will bring snow and cold air. Point is, no, it's not really usually "mild" winters.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Quote:
Florida was ALWAYS hot. Global warming has caused, so far, about a 1 degree avg temp increase across the US. Global warming has NOT made a difference in heat yet. It's ALWAYS been hot in Florida and the south. Yes, even in these months it can be hot.
THANK you!!!
Sorry NAH - you're a cool dude & all but you're freaking. If anything, the LOWER temps that we get on occasion down here are the "freak" weather!!!
Also, global warming creates cold AND hot. The earth heats, the ice melts, the wind is cold...But weather is CYCLICAL!!!!!!! "Global warming" is the same thing as saying weather patterns. That would be like everytime it were spring, saying "you see? here we go again...!" I won't even say any more because it's just too ridiculous.
But as for the south, the weather we're getting now is TOTALLY NORMAL for down here! Ever take a look at a MAP?!
Come on people - get real! FL is TROPICAL!!! That's like saying HI is too warm! PALEEASE!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
You think it was cooler before? Yes it was a lot colder in the 70's but in the 80's it was quite hot. In fact, in 1985 I remember the day the temperature hit 100 at my parents house. Someone's going to have to get the temperature data from the past and compare it to later years. Also remember that you sweat less when you're a kid than as an adult. Of course when you are closer to death you feel the heat less, and the cold more. Perhaps that's why retirees love heat.

Be aware that the weather this month is not "normal" but within the cyclical variations of a strip of land sticking out into the ocean.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:43 PM

153 posts, read 711,285 times
Quote:

Volcanoes are natural, deforesation and burning fossil fuels are man induced global warming. We have much more of an effect than you think! Just look at the weather maps! Its the middle of winter and yet its above freezing in 90% of the USA and even in parts of Canada!
I disagree. Sure they are man made, but there is no way to prove they are linked to the "global warming" fiction.

The Weather moves in cycles, some cycles can take thousands of years (ice ages), some can be yearly (the four seasons), and some can be lunar (monthly).

In the 1700's there was a massive cooling of the climate according to history, and in the 1500's there was a massive warming, very similar to the one we are experiencing now. In the 1970's you'd see news stories about a global cool down, now in the 00's you see stories on global warming.

All weather is on a cycle, and I think that the current trend is part of that cycle. I think you take mother nature for granted, and place to high of a value on what we can do. Many people of science forget the cardnial rule of science - Occam's Razor - the simplest explaination is usually the right explaination. So are we to believe that emissions from cars, cows, spray bottles and human perspiration are causing the "global warming" or is it much simpler to explain this as part of the global weather cycle?

Both answers are plausible, but I'll side with the weather cycle argument since it is the simpler of the two, and it is far more documented (that this is a weather cycle) than "global warming."

Old 12-20-2006, 12:06 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
And ill go with the facts and what scientists are saying about global warming.
Oh how I wish I was in Oil city with its mild 45 degrees in the winter
here its over 80 and im sweating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies