Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 03:24 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The US has been screwing with Iran since the 50s. It started with assassinating their first elected president and installing a US-puppet dictator. It continued through shooting down an Iranian civilian jumbo jet with 290 civilians.

The US has done nothing but breath constant threats to Iran since they deposed the puppet dictator. At this point, the US has directed that Iran simply die and has asserted that the US won't stick to any agreement made with Iran.

Iran has done nothing to Americans beyond their own backyard--where Americans didn't need to be anyway.

The US: "We're going to screw Iran any way we want."
Iran: "Stop screwing us"
US: "Oh, now you've done it!"
I agree we need to get the hell out of the middle east, but you can't stand down when threatened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 09:15 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I agree we need to get the hell out of the middle east, but you can't stand down when threatened.
We are not in a school yard. The United States has not been threatened, although the US has threatened Iran.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:15 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What are you talking about there are 186 nuclear power plants in Europe, more than double what we have.
Germany is on course to go nuclear-free. I don't know about anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
And shale gas deposits in Europe are not like here. Only France and Poland have decent deposits. Yes France banned it but its legal in Poland just not producing good results. The UK does fracking but again their deposits are not that big.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...able_shale_gas
Other countries such as Bulgaria are being put under pressure not to allow it. It doesn't have to be 100% but the civilized world would gain much bargaining power if the Arab world and Russia were not important to energy security. I don't mind buying from them but I want the civilized world to be in a position to let them self-destruct if that's what they are intent in doing. Objectively such battles as the Houtis in Yemen are senseless and create little but human misery.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:28 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Germany is on course to go nuclear-free. I don't know about anyone else.

Other countries such as Bulgaria are being put under pressure not to allow it. It doesn't have to be 100% but the civilized world would gain much bargaining power if the Arab world and Russia were not important to energy security. I don't mind buying from them but I want the civilized world to be in a position to let them self-destruct if that's what they are intent in doing. Objectively such battles as the Houtis in Yemen are senseless and create little but human misery.
Allow me.........

France derives @80% of its electricity from Nuclear power and is the WORLDS leading net exporter of power. The only reason any EU country can do away with their nuke plants is because they can lean on France's nuke plants for grid stability.....Germany in particular relies on France for this.

As side note nearly 20% of France's nuclear fuel is from recycled sources.....

Old 05-18-2019, 10:08 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
We are not in a school yard. The United States has not been threatened, although the US has threatened Iran.
Apparently, you're incapable of grasping the concept:

The costs of not implementing this strategy are clear. Failure to meet our defense objectives will result in decreasing U.S. global influence, eroding cohesion among allies and partners, and reduced access to markets that will contribute to a decline in our prosperity and standard of living.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.defense.gov/Portals/1/Do...gy-Summary.pdf

Read it and study it over and over and over, again and again and again, until you completely grasp the concept.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The costs of not implementing this strategy are clear. Failure to meet our defense objectives will result in decreasing U.S. global influence, eroding cohesion among allies and partners, and reduced access to markets that will contribute to a decline in our prosperity and standard of living.

[emphasis mine]

Read it and study it over and over and over, again and again and again, until you completely grasp the concept.
I have personally written such documents during my Air Force career.

The purpose of such documents is for the Defense Department to rationalize doing what politicians have committed us to do.

The Defense Department, as an agency of the Executive Branch, does not ever make a statement about what the president or the Congress ought to do. They will only rationalize what the President and the Congress has mandated that they do.

That is a concept you don't grasp. The defense objectives are based on the political objectives, but the political objectives are not necessarily grounded in realism, and can change from season to season.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:39 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

[emphasis mine]

You are not grasping the concept. These people are living in an alternative reality, in which schmoozing in U.N. corridors = world peace.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Best thing to do is gas all of the ME area and call it a day ray.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:49 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
I have personally written such documents during my Air Force career.

The purpose of such documents is for the Defense Department to rationalize doing what politicians have committed us to do.

The Defense Department, as an agency of the Executive Branch, does not ever make a statement about what the president or the Congress ought to do. They will only rationalize what the President and the Congress has mandated that they do.

That is a concept you don't grasp. The defense objectives are based on the political objectives, but the political objectives are not necessarily grounded in realism, and can change from season to season.
You're right, he does not grasp the concept. We are not going to get any "reduced access to markets", how the hell is that remedied by bombing Iran? We produce more natural gas than most of the world and have plenty of oil from our barbaric "friends" the Saudi's. Iran is embargoed, thanks to our heavy boot on the economic throat of the rest of the world.

But if the DD puts out a memo that we have to bomb Iran "or else", well, some sheep take it as the gospel truth, without any ability to read between the lines.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:54 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The late Anthony Bourdain did one of his shows in Iran. He met a lot of western leaning folks and obviously had a good time. Interesting country.
An even better (and more recent) documentary about Iran was broadcast by PBS Frontline 9 months ago. It was by New York Times Tehran Bureau Chief Thomas Erdbrink; he's a Dutch journalist who has lived in the country the last 17 years and speaks fluent Persian, so he knows the country much better than Bourdain and can speak with Iranians directly without a translator. You can watch it here:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...man-in-tehran/

It's 4 hours and divided into two parts, so it runs a little long, but if you're interested in getting more insight into contemporary Iranian society, then it's very much worth watching, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies