Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:17 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Get the education and or training? Yes but college admin and professors want these kids to pay for their pensions, of course they are going to support gov't intervention because it means more money for them.

The ridiculously high college fees putting these kids in debt before they start. How in the hell are these kids supposed to get ahead? Greedy colleges are the problem, and gov't and is not the answer. Every time I've seen gov't get involved to fix a problem they end up making it worse (easy money and greed)
Who said anything about getting the gov't involved?

One can go the community college route and two years a public university and costs are lower. And you don't need to complete everything in 4 years. If it takes 8 years to get that degree and you go to night school and pay for it with a full time job who cares how you get there. Or go blue collar and become a plumber or electrician. Or become a firefighter or EMT. Or get your real estate license.

Point is get off your behind and do something. And stop blaming others for one's situation. Life is not fair and not everyone starts out equally in life. But everyone can succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 09:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Who said anything about getting the gov't involved?

One can go the community college route and two years a public university and costs are lower. And you don't need to complete everything in 4 years. If it takes 8 years to get that degree and you go to night school and pay for it with a full time job who cares how you get there. Or go blue collar and become a plumber or electrician. Or become a firefighter or EMT. Or get your real estate license.

Point is get off your behind and do something. And stop blaming others for one's situation. Life is not fair and not everyone starts out equally in life. But everyone can succeed.
If everyone did this, jobs that require a degree would pay minimum wage. Your example works for the individual, not for tens of millions working people.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
I don't know, I'm still working my shovel ready job

Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Get the education and or training? Yes but college admin and professors want these kids to pay for their pensions, of course they are going to support gov't intervention because it means more money for them.

The ridiculously high college fees putting these kids in debt before they start. How in the hell are these kids supposed to get ahead? Greedy colleges are the problem, and gov't and is not the answer. Every time I've seen gov't get involved to fix a problem they end up making it worse (easy money and greed)
Plumbers, electricians, welders, HVAC , don't require a college degree and make excellent money. Real estate inspectors, appraisees, realtors, car salesmen, don't require a college degree and make good money.

People lie about college degrees being the only way to get ahead. Trades, sales are both career choices that dont require college degrees. Ive made 6 figure salaries since getting out of the military in the car business and now in real estate. I don't have a college degree. But i do have a great work ethic. Putting in 12-14 hr days was the norm for about 12 yrs. And i don't use drugs, but used birth control religiously to make sure i didnt have any unplanned kids.
Making good life decisions goes a long way to reducing poverty.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:09 AM

59,043 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Didn’t Obama once say Trump would need a “magic wand” to deliver on his promises to boost U.S. economy”
That 1% GDP was the new norm. Obviously the incompetent pin head Obama had no clue regarding the forces that drive the free market economy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lar...nomic-recovery
"Larry Kudlow fires back at Cory Booker's claim Obama deserves credit for economic recovery - Do you agree:

Considering Kudlow's VAST experience in the economics and finance, I think I'll take what he says over booker's ANY DAY!

"Lawrence Alan Kudlow (born August 20, 1947) is an American financial analyst and former television host serving as Director of the National Economic Council under President Donald Trump since 2018.[1] Kudlow began his career as a junior financial analyst at the New York Federal Reserve. He soon left government to work on Wall Street at Paine Webber and Bear Stearns as a financial analyst. In 1981, after previously volunteering and working for left-wing politicians and causes, Kudlow joined the administration of Ronald Reagan as associate director for economics and planning in the Office of Management and Budget.[2]
After leaving the Reagan Administration during the second term, Kudlow returned to Wall Street and Bear Stearns, serving as the firm's chief economist from 1987 until 1994. During this time, he also advised the gubernatorial campaign of Christine Todd Whitman on economic issues. In the late 1990s, after a publicized battle with cocaine and alcohol addiction, Kudlow left Wall Street to become an economic media commentator – first with National Review, and later hosting several shows on CNBC.
Kudlow returned to politics in 2018, serving as Gary Cohn's replacement at the National Economic Council."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Kudlow

"Cory Booker-After graduation, he served as staff attorney for the Urban Justice Center in New York and program coordinator of the Newark Youth Project.[14] In 1998"

After that he became a politician.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Booker

Old 05-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, economies always recover after recession.

Sometimes there is a double-dip effect, but in the end, what goes down, comes back up.

What is very different about the Obama recovery is the slow rate of recovery.

To have never had a single year of 3% GDP growth when coming out of a sever recession ought to be embarrassing.

The strength of recovery tends to mirror the severity of the downturn, so sub-three percent growth following such an extreme crash indicates fundamental problems.

Once recovered, economies tend to plod along in unremarkable fashion until the next recession hits.

That the now recovered economy is accelerating is a very rare phenomena.

The lowest income earners are seeing an annualized pay increase of 4.4%, and all wage tiers are growing.

This is the best news working Americans have had since the 1960s.
"To have never had a single year of 3% GDP growth when coming out of a sever recession ought to be embarrassing."

Obama promised, "If I can't fix the economy in my 1st term, I DON'T DESERVE a 2nd", yet he ran anyway!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Booker might be right

"Cash for Clunkers" and Solyndra unleashed economic prosperity like never seen before

I HOPE you are being sarcsstic considering BOTH programs were complete FLOPS!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The statement is self evident.

If Cory Booker said it, then exactly the opposite happened.

Larry Kudlow is correct.

Let's get real here. The hapless community agitator's big solution was to borrow a Trillion dollars from the Chinese. Spread the money to political hacks, and use the money to buy all the used cars and crush them. Obama never held a real job or created a real job in his life.
Most of the money went to FEDERAL agencies. And we KNOW how "efficient" they are!

https://www.businessinsider.com/obam...-street-act-12

Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Booker is saying things have been tough for the past 4 decades for lower income people which includes 16 years of DEM presidencies and countless DEM controlled congresses. The reality is people lacking education and training are always going to struggle no matter who is in Washington.

The solution is to get out of poverty in my opinion is simple. Get the education and or training to acquire a marketable job still and you will no longer be in poverty. And stop playing the blame game for being poor. If you are poor in this country its your own fault.
"The solution is to get out of poverty in my opinion is simple. Get the education and or training to acquire a marketable job still and you will no longer be in poverty. And stop playing the blame game for being poor. If you are poor in this country its your own fault"

BINGO, we have WINNER!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:35 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, economies always recover after recession.

Sometimes there is a double-dip effect, but in the end, what goes down, comes back up.

What is very different about the Obama recovery is the slow rate of recovery.

To have never had a single year of 3% GDP growth when coming out of a sever recession ought to be embarrassing.

The strength of recovery tends to mirror the severity of the downturn, so sub-three percent growth following such an extreme crash indicates fundamental problems.

Once recovered, economies tend to plod along in unremarkable fashion until the next recession hits.

That the now recovered economy is accelerating is a very rare phenomena.

The lowest income earners are seeing an annualized pay increase of 4.4%, and all wage tiers are growing.

This is the best news working Americans have had since the 1960s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would give Obama credit for getting the economy going but Trump is keeping it rolling right along despite the Left telling us he was going to destroy it.

How much credit can we really give any President for the economy? It is a living breathing thing that moves along under its own power until someone gets in the way of it to trip it up.

We all know that people still give Obama credit for the upswing and we all know who will get the credit when it crashes in its natural cycle. Obama=Good Trump=Bad.
My 11 year old could have gotten the economy going after that recession. I kept waiting for Obama to do something, ANYTHING.....a jobs program? He did NOTHING. I heard Ben Bernanke beg Congress to enact some fiscal policy so he didn't have to do what he did. But nope. Nothing. The ONLY thing Obama EVER wanted to do was raise taxes on the rich. He was useless. And it's not like they didn't tell him for years he needed to cut regulations and taxes. And boom. The second Trump does it, the economy takes off. Like I said, my 11 year could have figured this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies