Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Tons of pieces of classical art have been painted over in deference to Christian sensibilities? Do you care to give some examples? It's true that some of the nudity in Michelangelo's "The Last Judgement" in the Sistine Chapel were painted over at the request of one prudish cleric. But that is the only example I can think of. Western painting from the time of the Renaissance on down has contained quite a bit of nudity. There has been no large scale Christian movement to cover it up.
There was literally a large scale movement to cover it up, called the "Fig Leaf Campaign." But it's occurred on a smaller scale on and off since the Renaissance, depending on the mores of the times and places, and the individual views of the people who came to possess various pieces of art.

I'm not up for an art history lesson today, but there are hundreds if not thousands of examples of nudity being covered in art out of deference to Christian mores of the time. If you're interested, here are a few articles to get you started. Of course, they focus on only a handful of the most famous examples, but if you start to dig into it you'll find plenty more.
https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...rdo-censorship
https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-...atholic-church
The Prude Nude: Censorship and Cover-Ups in Art | Alberti
The Censorship of Nudity in Western Visual Art - The Blackbird Review

Of course, when not content to censor art, it could also just be destroyed wholesale:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeldenstorm
https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...william-museum
Quote:
This recycling, discovered by the Fitzwilliam Museum’s Hamilton Kerr Institute, is also likely to have saved the panel from Puritan iconoclasts in the English civil war, who destroyed a lot of art that had survived the earlier purge. [...] Estimates say up to 97% of English religious art was destroyed during and after the Reformation.
Then there's the modern day incarnation of the fig leaf, which is the pixelation blur. We simply accept this as normal broadcast standards, which makes me wonder why it's so outrageous for an art gallery to put up a curtain, but quite ordinary for CBS to fuzz out a Modigliani. While this isn't specifically denominational, I think one'd be hard pressed to argue that these broadcast standards aren't primarily a product of US religious and cultural sensibilities, which are predominantly Christian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=YkJS0IzZREk

I'm certainly not saying the people protesting SKU's work are right or justified. What I am saying is, you know, glass houses. Maybe the outrage should be against censorship in general rather than about Islam in particular.

Last edited by Frostnip; 05-06-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 04:28 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
tell the damned muslims to g to he!! if they dont like art work. there have been art works that insulted the christians and jews, and on one wanted them taken down.
Want to rethink this response? From the same source as the OP, here's a woman arrested for paintings she had in her own home. She faces jail time.

Woman arrested in Poland over posters of Virgin Mary with rainbow halo

Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Coward ****bags.

But they would be happy to display a cross smeared in feces or a painting of the virgin Mary being gangbanged. They would lecture us that good art is supposed to offend, and put the hand out for government grant (yeah, I get that it is London, but same thing here and there).

I hope no one ever, anywhere, ever goes to this gallery again.
You couldn't pay me to visit the Saatchi Gallery, whilst in terms of a lot of modern art I very much agree with the sentiments of youtuber Paul Joseph Watson.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-07-2019 at 05:12 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 05:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
How would that look? Would the people who are concerned about this supposed to dig out their forum posts (wherever they were posted) from 15+ years ago?

#WhataboutingFail

They would look like the hypocrites they are because there's nothing to dig up.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:21 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, I don't have a link because it happened many years ago. But thanks for calling me a liar.

P.S. snopes is run by a couple of leftists.

Which does nothing to refute what they say.

If you really want to start claiming truthful or not by political leaning, let's look at the thousands of lies Trump has told in 2 years and say anything rightists say is false until proven otherwise.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:25 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Yet **** (urine) Christ gets all the world in arms protecting it.

Irony

Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Yet **** (urine) Christ gets all the world in arms protecting it.

Irony
The Saatchi has already hosted a Andres Serrano Exhibition.

Andres Serrano - Saatchi Gallery

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies