Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:30 PM

197 posts, read 98,060 times

Advertisements

If I go Tokyo I can get a true "cultural" experience because its people are 99% Japanese and I can get authentic sushi everywhere. Would Tokyo be better if it were more "multicultural" and there were Mexican and Italian restaurants everywhere? I don't think so. Yet we think that Western cities would be better the more we erase their distinct culture? I heard liberal politicians in NYC are trying to ban hot dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 12:34 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Cultures change overtime. The US has always been a beacon for people around the world to come to.

My neighborhood has been hispanic since my dad was a kid. It's slowly becoming full on hipster..

Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Tokyo was more fun when Godzilla used to visit.

I prefer Houston, Texas over Dixon, Missouri.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:19 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,124,578 times
I don't know if they are incoherent, but they are garbage concepts.

China and Japan, 96% Han Chinese and over 99% Japanese, respectively, are the second and third economies in the world. Conversely, the best examples of "diversity" would be the Middle East and the Balkans, both of which are virtually allegories for failure.

Europe has thrown in the towel, to one degree or another, on Multiculturalism, with countries such as Italy openly kicking out immigrants, and even the Chancellor of imperious leftist Germany admitting that "mutlikulti" has been a failure.

How long can America hold out when the center is being eroded? We shall see.

It is not that some "diversity" is inherently bad. But it is not inherently good, either. There must be some force towards assimilation, which is what is NOT happening in Western countries. There is every evidence that too much multiculturalism is a disaster in the making.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
What should be promoted is tolerance, not diversity.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What should be promoted is tolerance, not diversity.
Except tolerance has been hijacked by the Left to now mean "to put up with".
Ex: When I was in my early teens and snuck out at night in my mom's car, when caught, my parents should have been tolerant.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:32 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,873,089 times
Modern Diversity is a misappropriated leftist phrase.

The traditional concept of diversity was different groups and different backgrounds all came here bringing their unique experiences and skills and assimilated in the melting pot.

Now it has been morphed into something completely different. People are encouraged and welcomed to not assimilate and to be their own sub culture. College now teaches that instead of a melting pot America should be a salad (one group is the croutons, another the lettuce, a different group the tomato etc)where each group stays different and unique but combined make up a whole. I think that idea is idiotic and cultural suicide but that's another debate on another thread.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:34 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

The traditional concept of diversity was different groups and different backgrounds all came here bringing their unique experiences and skills and assimilated in the melting pot.

Now it has been morphed into something completely different. People are encouraged and welcomed to not assimilate and to be their own sub culture. College now teaches that instead of a melting pot America should be a salad (one group is the croutons, another the lettuce, a different group the tomato etc)where each group stays different and unique but combined make up a whole. I think that idea is idiotic and cultural suicide but that's another debate on another thread.
Indeed-

The most "diverse" nations are the least prosperous.

Multi-culturalism does not unify, but divides a nation.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:46 AM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

I couldn't agree more. A country that has lost its core identity has lost its heart and soul and just becomes a mutt nation.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times
Do you find it at all ironic that when the Left holds up a nation as a role model of health and prosperity they always choose a Scandinavian nation like Denmark, Norway, or Sweden that are vastly made up of homogeneous people whose families have lived in that country for centuries and hold a similar set of values and world view?

I'm not saying that is the ideal situation at all, just pointing out the hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies