Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:47 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
He was one of the very few R's in the last generation who occasionally rented a pair of balls long enough to vote for the Constitution over his party. Not surprised that none of you are capable of understanding that.

Which is why my answer to the OP's question is "zero". There is not a single living Republican that I admire or respect in any way. There are a few who every now and then, aren't quite as despicable as the rest of the bastards, like McCain for example - but still, I hate 'em all. You might as well ask me who was my favorite member of the Manson family, or my favorite Nazi.
Name a single Democrat of recent memory who has had "a pair of balls long enough to vote for the Constitution over his party." There aren't any with the possible exception of Joe Manchin and his vote for Kavanaugh.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Since I cannot stand either party I can list both
Sherrod Brown for not forgetting Joe Sixpack.
Jimmy Carter terrible president. EPIC human.
Senator Coburn for possible budget cut list hitting everyone

T310 for being the only one on the right I have seen to have the guts to say what many on the right think. Poor people who cannot afford health care do not warrant it if paid for by others. I disagree, but others make stupid crap up about payment plans and charity will kick in for the majority... (Uh yea... NO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
John Kasich. I can appreciate a moderate democrat.
Thank you for the example of how far right the GOP has gone.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Joe Manchin seems like a pretty decent guy, as does Jim Webb. However I really don't know that much about their policies.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:39 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Trump didn't build that. In fact with trade war talks he could ruin any gains that have gone up during his presidency. Just look at the market with his renewed talks of Chinese tariffs. Not that China isn't a problem, but we live in too much of a globalised and interdependent economy that putting tariffs and economic isolationist policy like Trump is peddling (though in his own business he isn't) is cutting off the nose to spite the face.
So you are saying Trump should not raise taxes? Since when has that been a Democratic position? I thought that there was a concern about the deficit?

Old 05-07-2019, 06:51 AM

623 posts, read 233,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Great Warrior Warren because of her heroics at the Battle of the Little Bighorn.
LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The only Dem I can think of at the moment is West VA's Joe Manchin. He will vote in the best interests of his constituents who are Trump supporters. At least he did the few times I noticed. He needs to switch parties and become a Repub because I dislike these RINOs and DINOs because they are playing both sides. Pick one!
I do like Manchin...I have heard he is considering running for Governor of WV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Tammy Duckworth
Steve Beasher
Jim Webb
Jimmy Carter (if I ignore his presidency)
Bob Kerrey
Webb I do like as well...the rest I was either too young to remember or just don't remember them because they weren't from my area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So you are an anti-Semite. Thanks for letting us all know that!
Anti Israel is not Anti Semite but thanks for the narrow minded view of your bigotry.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:21 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Name a single Democrat of recent memory who has had "a pair of balls long enough to vote for the Constitution over his party." There aren't any with the possible exception of Joe Manchin and his vote for Kavanaugh.
A vote for Kavanaugh has nothing to do with Constitution over party, if it did, you would label every Republican as horrible on that issue.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
If you would have just paused before rushing in headlong to attack Trump you would have noticed I didn't write that Trump built that.
I wrote that he helped engineer it.
It is ludicrous to suggest that the economy and stock markets are doing so well in spite and not because of Trump.
In any event this is a thread about finding qualities to admire in political opponents - there are lots of other opportunities on here to display your partisanship.
And I don't say that Trump really did engineer the economy or stock market. The main economic policies he pushed is a lower corporate tax rate which many companies still are able to pay less in taxes under the legacy tax rate. Now they just pay even less. The other is the economic isolationism that the anti-globalist realize.

As for my comments about Trump, I'm sorry but there is little I find admirable about him. I did 14 years ago when I was dumb. The only good thing he did was create the initial WrestleMania weekend events with the WrestleMania 5k runs and biceps and bagels brunch. And that is entirely apolitical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you are saying Trump should not raise taxes? Since when has that been a Democratic position? I thought that there was a concern about the deficit?
No we should not increase tariffs as that is cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:37 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
I've grown to like Trump quite a bit... he was the right classically liberal Democrat, at the right place, at the right time!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Bill Clinton

Even though I didn't like him that much personally, his policies did help set the U.S. economy on fire while he was President.

You absolutely have to give him credit for that.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Admire? That's a tough word to put to a Pol...I know too much!

I would say Bloomberg, but he dropped out of the GOP.

Our own GOV in MA. (Baker) seems a good guy, but the vast majority of Righties would call him center-left and a RINO...or worse!

I wouldn't use the word "admire", but those like Kascish would make the "adequate" levels.

Most of the good Republicans have converted to Independent. IMHO, the older line of New England and Middle-Atlantic Republicans were decent. Those would be - in the old days - called "radicals" by the "conservatives" of the South.

Many Republicans could be decent human beings OUTSIDE of the realm of current politics. But it is much more difficult to do so while brown-nosing or enabling Authoritarianism and lies/swamp/deception/etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies