Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:50 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

I heard driving for Uber is a cra* job.

By the time the drivers factor in their gas, time, wear and tear (critical) on cars, there is not much left. I think the turnover rate for Uber is quite high. Once you realize that Uber is making all the money, not you.

On an hourly basis, the median profit was $3.37 per hour, with 74% of drivers earning less than the minimum wage in the state where they operate.

They also found a median driver generates $0.59 per mile of driving but incurs costs of $0.30 per mile; and almost a third (30 per cent) of drivers were found to incur expenses exceeding their revenue or to be losing money for every mile they drive.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/02/mi...or-lyft-sucks/

At the end of the day there are a certain amount of fixed costs [for drivers],” says Tluszcz. “You have to buy a car, you have to get insurance, you have to pay for gas… And if you as an intermediary, which those platforms are, are taking an increasing amount of commission — 10%, 15%, now 20 in most of their markets — and then you’re using the price of the trip as a way of beating your competitor… then you as a driver are sitting there with basically all of your fixed costs and your income is going down and frankly the only way to cover your costs is to spend more hours in the car.

So what does the study tell us about the ride-hailing business model? “It tells us that it’s a s****y place to work,” says Mark Tluszcz, co-founder and CEO of Mangrove Capital Partners who has described the gig economy model as the modern day sweatshop, and says his VC firm made a conscious decision not to invest in gig economy companies because the model is exploitative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Uber & Lyft driving is what you do when you are so unqualified you can't get anything else. This "strike" will be about as successful as a democrat trying to beat Trump in an election.
LOL! I like it.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:12 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
All driving professions are going bye bye, this is just speeding up the process.

I do think Uber pulls fast ones on their drivers and customers. I have taken Ubers in cities with flat rate per mile pricing much higher than what the driver was getting.

On one trip I paid 45 dollars to get across the city, while chatting with the driver we talked about their pay and if its worth it (its a side gig for him). My Uber App states the driver gets 75% and Uber 25%, so the driver should have taken home $33.75. But the driver was actually paid $21 something instead of why my app stated.

So there is a concern that Uber is scrapping off driver pay to fund their expansion. I'm not sure what you should do other than quit or strike, they are independent contractors.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
All driving professions are going bye bye, this is just speeding up the process.

I do think Uber pulls fast ones on their drivers and customers. I have taken Ubers in cities with flat rate per mile pricing much higher than what the driver was getting.

On one trip I paid 45 dollars to get across the city, while chatting with the driver we talked about their pay and if its worth it (its a side gig for him). My Uber App states the driver gets 75% and Uber 25%, so the driver should have taken home $33.75. But the driver was actually paid $21 something instead of why my app stated.

So there is a concern that Uber is scrapping off driver pay to fund their expansion. I'm not sure what you should do other than quit or strike, they are independent contractors.
Do the drivers have to pay any taxes, fees, etc?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I have friends with STEM PhDs in San Francisco who make less than that.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
$28 is something you EARN to make that much. Driving a car takes zero professional skills/college educated/trade educated work.

used to be if you wanted to make more, you worked and earned to get it either thru working your way up out of a dead end job, and/or getting more education/skills/experience.

$28 is not owed to you, special snowflake who thinks they can just demand/be entitled to it.

Same with working at fast food.. Although standing on your feet all day waiting on customers CAN be hard work, but still, you are to get what you are worth.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Do the drivers have to pay any taxes, fees, etc?

Yes, the driver are independent contractors so they pay the full 15% income tax on earnings. They also cover all their own expenses as well. All other fees are suppose to be covered in the 25% that Uber collects, which wouldn't be much if any. The driver is doing the leg work and paying the actual transport cost.

I think its a crappy job but better than flipping burgers.
If you don't mind the wear and tear on a car and don't want to have a boss, then go for it. Not something I would do.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
What is it with conservatives and their love for dirt cheap labor? It's like they want to kill the middle class and turn them into serfs that scrape by at a subsistence level. That'll turn American cities into shantytowns.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You need to have a talk with your friends then, maybe they should have become plumbers if they can't make more than $17 an hour there's something very wrong

Old 05-09-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

They are doing it wrong. Big problem I have with my Brilliant interns is their communication skills, or lack there of. Hard to sell yourself when your uncomfortable talking to other humans.

We give them somewhat of a pass in the Medical field, maybe not so lucky in the Tech world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies