Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 12:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am sure there are other ways as well. I mean, all of that tariff stuff is illegal from the WTO's perspective anyway, so the Chinese might not limit themselves to tariffs. Makes me wonder, if China is so bad, why not file complaints with the WTO, which is responsible for those things? WTO fines can be quite hefty...

We've done that in the past countless times. It takes years to resolve and everyone ignores the rulings anyway. By then, the damage is done and the fines are a pittance relatively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 01:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
The swine thingy is spreading in Europe as well.
Time to become vegetarian :-) It's healthier, anyway.
i hadn't heard that. which country/countries?

Old 05-10-2019, 01:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Yeah, privately controlled by the government.

Also, communism and capitalism are the products of the West
No, private and publicly traded companies just like in the West. BBK for instance, one of the biggest manufacturers of cell phones and consumer electronics.

Weird statement. Official communism was the idea of a German philosopher, yes, but that has nothing to do with the West. Communism had been used long before that in many societies, just not under the name communism. Just like democracy existed before ancient Greece.
In fact, in my view China is not much different from the way it was 2000 or 1000 years ago, i.e. a strong state and a lot of state and private economic activity and trade. Society has also changed little since then. Chinese culture is surprisingly robust and consistent, which can be a good or a bad thing. China never was like the West.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i hadn't heard that. which country/countries?
There was a report on that just last night on the evening news. Eastern Europe, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, etc.
The Iberian Peninsula (where I live) is so far not affected, but who knows for how long in view of all the trading within the EU...

Old 05-10-2019, 01:13 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
There was a report on that just last night on the evening news. Eastern Europe, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, etc.
The Iberian Peninsula (where I live) is so far not affected, but who knows for how long in view of all the trading within the EU...
all of those places? i can find nothing to that effect on the news. there's a single WaPo story about it reaching Europe but it's paywalled.

African swine fever is really horrible, like pig ebola. 100% mortality rate.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We've done that in the past countless times. It takes years to resolve and everyone ignores the rulings anyway. By then, the damage is done and the fines are a pittance relatively.
I don't agree. Airbus and Boeing are not happy about the billions of dollars they might have to pay soon.

After all, the tariffs against China are an ideological tool, not a financial one. The deficit is not really the problem, anyway:

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/05/tr...a-trade-again/

Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
You realize your hypothetical decline in growth from 6 to 4% is a 33% drop in economic growth. That is significant. Chinese company leveraging is at all time highs, the Chinese government tried a small deleveraging maneuver in January. They will need to do more soon, too. Margin buying of Chinese stocks by Chinese investors is up - 5.62B USD in February - another sign of addiction to growth.

China could not afford, hardly survive with a 33% decline in economic growth. Regime change would be in the offing.

Quote:
It might slow China's growth a bit in the short run (like, from 6 to 4%), but not more than that as demand increasingly comes from within the country and from other countries. China (like many other countries) faces much greater unemployment challenges from automation than from reduced US demand.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:52 PM

I don't think so, the Chinese would not blame their government, to the contrary. It's not Venezuela.

Growth is expected to go down with or without the tariff mess as they are transitioning their economy.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
all of those places? i can find nothing to that effect on the news. there's a single WaPo story about it reaching Europe but it's paywalled.

African swine fever is really horrible, like pig ebola. 100% mortality rate.
Yes, it seems to be nasty.

I wonder if the US are behind the spread of the virus in China, like they supposedly were in Cuba in 1971:

CIA Link to Cuban Pig Virus Reported - SFC1/10/77

Old 05-10-2019, 02:03 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Trade war is a fake battle that the dotard started so he could crow about how he solved it. Wouldn't be the first time he tried such a stunt.

Only problem is the Chinese don't care about the short term. If America wants to raise prices on the goods which they import, China is not going to stop them.

So Trump is now left in a quandary. His gambit failed, and now he looks foolish except to those who believe that raising prices (tariffs) by $100 Billion (his figures) is somehow punishing China.

Kudlow spouted every day for a month about how great the negotiations were going. Except they weren't. Now China is here to "negotiate" and the whole mess has been kicked down the road for a month. The only war which remains is how America (well, the WH) is going to get themselves out of the mess they created.

I am reminded of "what if they started a war and nobody came"? That pretty much sums it up. Trump tried to muscle China, and they just stared at him like he is a fool. And to add insult, Kim fired a few missiles just to further muddy the waters. Think China had anything to do with that little charade to throw the dotard off his game (whatever that might be)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies