Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM

29,962 posts, read 11,544,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And I have watched countless times someone in front of me buying the absolute worst food not paying with an EBT card.
I often see men shopping alone their baskets containing nothing but frozen dinners, snack cakes and soda. I assume they are single.
Someone paying with their own money can do what they want. It is a big issue that so many people make poor choices and spend more money on prepared junk food than they would with healthier meals made from scratch but again its their money and they have that right to do what they choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So how much of your money pays for medical care due to food choices of food stamp recipients?

Billions every year are spent on CHIP coverage. And there is an epidemic of childhood obesity and other health problems from poor eating habits which adds to that cost. Which includes a lot of kids on CHIP. So do the math. Healthier kids have less medical problems.

If someone does not want to be told what they are allowed to get for free they can get a job and buy whatever they choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Precisely. They've been doing that old switch aroo with the funny money since I can remember.

I have been in line at Dollar General when a total stranger behind me offered to buy my stuff on his EBT card for half the amount back in cash. Imagine how often this happens among people who know each other.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:45 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,009,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But if you think handing them cash what can I say. You seem to be more concerned with how you think the moms are perceived than what is best for their kids.
Yes, I think cash is better than SNAP benefits and I will attempt to explain why with a real life example.

I was trying to help a single mom with two kids find a job so she could get off of public assistance, she received $530 in SNAP benefits and $383 TANF cash, she had no housing subsidy. The cheapest place she could find to rent was a weekly motel for $500 a month. That meant that in addition to every penny of her $383 cash she still was $117 short of being able to pay rent. She also figured she needed $30 for bus fare and $40 for diapers. Unless she was going to start doing robberies she needed to get that $187 by selling food stamps, so she would find someone to buy them for 50 cents on the dollar. To get the cash she needed she had to sell $374 of her SNAP benefits. That left her with $156 in SNAP benefits so she got by as best she could and would hit up the food banks twice a week.

So how did that micromanagement of her benefits help her? Please explain that to me because for the life of me I don't see it. If she had received the cash equivalent of SNAP and TANF she would have had $913 for rent, food, transportation and diapers. If she failed to feed her children or care for them, that's an issue for Children's Protective Services.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,316,989 times
So, all poor people are fat?

Lot of stereotyping here.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,603,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Local grocery chain has 4 cases of soda ( all major brands) on sale for $10, this week. This happens about once a quarter. Consumers stock up. Common to see people with 2 carts of soda in the check out lanes. The local store sells thousands of cases during the sale. SNAP is not prevalent in my neck of the woods.
Well, those are all future patients of the diabetes and obesity docs there......so I guess it's good for capitalism...but bad for health.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,316,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Let food stamp folks buy what they want. I don't care what they eat. it would be a nightmare to decide what is junk food. I consider most pre-packaged, fast food, and frozen meals junk food! many would disagree.
I agree. What one person considers "junk food" is what another person considers a necessary part of their diet.

I eat cereal and bread and there are people who consider this "junk food."

Old 05-09-2019, 03:54 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,009,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So is it that people are stupider? Mountain Dew has been around a long time, why now an epidemic. I used to see a lot more soda and candy commercials before obesity became a big problem.
He uses the term "mountain dew mouth" to describe any child with rampant caries caused by any sugary soft drink. He said it's not restricted to any particular income level or other demographic. According to him it's due to crappy parenting, parents put soda in a sippy cup to keep the kid shut up, the more soda they give the child the more addicted to sugar they become until soda becomes the only thing they want to drink.

He did his residency in Kentucky and he said that he would treat teenagers who had been pulling their own teeth out with their fingers and had lost so many teeth that they were in need of full dentures before they were 18. He's in Nevada now and said that while it's not as widespread as it was in Kentucky it's still horrible, that kids come in with so much decay that they need numerous crowns or extractions.

He thinks all sugary drinks should be outlawed but we all know the likelihood of that happening.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,603,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So is it that people are stupider? Mountain Dew has been around a long time, why now an epidemic. I used to see a lot more soda and candy commercials before obesity became a big problem.
When I was younger liter bottles weren't even a thing. Even when they first came out they were never cheap.

It's all about price....as well as availability.

Even the simplest decisions...I walk in the 7-11 and want a soda. A single soda is $1.39 but they will sell me 2 for $2.

A REWARD is offered for being less healthy.

Combine that with the known facts....Air Condition and perfect heating make it so that people don't burn as many calories, most service jobs are less taxing in terms of calories, people don't stand up to change the channel nor do they walk to the kitchen to answer the phone.

Put it all together and then you have obesity.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, I think cash is better than SNAP benefits and I will attempt to explain why with a real life example.

I was trying to help a single mom with two kids find a job so she could get off of public assistance, she received $530 in SNAP benefits and $383 TANF cash, she had no housing subsidy. The cheapest place she could find to rent was a weekly motel for $500 a month. That meant that in addition to every penny of her $383 cash she still was $117 short of being able to pay rent. She also figured she needed $30 for bus fare and $40 for diapers. Unless she was going to start doing robberies she needed to get that $187 by selling food stamps, so she would find someone to buy them for 50 cents on the dollar. To get the cash she needed she had to sell $374 of her SNAP benefits. That left her with $156 in SNAP benefits so she got by as best she could and would hit up the food banks twice a week.

So how did that micromanagement of her benefits help her? Please explain that to me because for the life of me I don't see it. If she had received the cash equivalent of SNAP and TANF she would have had $913 for rent, food, transportation and diapers. If she failed to feed her children or care for them, that's an issue for Children's Protective Services.

Your example is interesting but there are churches and some charities that will help with temporary housing. I ended up evicting someone from one of my properties. It was a couple with a kid. The guy had trouble keeping a job, had a good one when I rented the place to him. After a year of paying the rent he got fired and went the church route. Ended up paying the rent at the last minute three months in a row because he got a church to pay it. Then ran out of churches and time. And this was in Texas.

I don't know how that works where you are but someone gets a church to get them in the door somewhere they don't need to pawn their foodstamp money.

I think making more cash available is opening up more cash is opening a can of worms. I get that in this case it works but I am not sure you are always getting the truth as a case worker. People say what they have to in order to keep the benefits coming in. I heard this all the time from my ex.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:02 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,655,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthca...ary-drinks-ban

Let’s hope this bill passes, it’s the only real way to curb obesity among America’s underclass
What about in the no class... like Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies