Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 05:16 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
At least in Northern California churches are maxed out with offering assistance, there are large numbers of homeless here including homeless families, about the most you can get is a 2 week motel voucher from Salvation Army or if you can make contact with someone in a church they might let you park your RV/car in their parking lot for a day or two. I understand the concept of what you are saying and my sister in law and her husband people who are down on their luck through their church but you just don't see it here.

I did not know where you were. California would be a tough place for that with the amount of people looking for help and the high cost of covering their rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
did you read about Michelle Obama's huge failure with her school lunches programs? Kids would not eat the food and schools wasted tons of money and food! Michelle's good intentions were a failure. all the schools discontinued the menu.

Good food is an acquired taste if used to junk food.

I mentioned Michelle Obama because it seemed most against the food stamp idea where on the left and seemed to imply those on the right were being mean to those on welfare.

I think changing the meals in schools should have been more gradual. Or if the kid is not fat they can eat whatever they want.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Why do you feel a need to micromanage what complete strangers eat?

I am fine with micromanaging how my tax dollars are allocated. If in the process their kids eat better and are healthier its a win win.

I am not going to tell complete strangers how to spend their hard earned money. They have earned the right to be left alone.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:25 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can do a pot of 15 bean chili, comes with seasonings add ground beef, for $5. It will make about 10 servings. I can have it ready in an InstaPot in under an hour, and most of that is cooking time, not prep.

It is also a great "garbage can" for any left over OR fresh veggies, or even canned. Expanding the nutrition and servings.

Much healthier for you than a highly processed lasagna.
Man, that sounds really good. Yummy!

Old 05-10-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes I care what my family eats but guess what- people receiving social services are NOT your children.

But these people are not capable of taking care of their own kids without government help so it becomes a public issue. Yes I do understand there is a myriad of reasons for them ending up on that situation but it is what it is.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But these people are not capable of taking care of their own kids without government help so it becomes a public issue. .
Not everyone is on welfare for life.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:40 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No one is talking about what people eat not bought with food stamps.

Though I really think education and training is key with the population in general.

Honestly, look at the argument. "Give me free food, make it what I want, and if I want to indulge in empty calories and have tax payers pay for it that is my right."

I'm not militant on this, I believe there can be compassionate solutions to most things.

I also do not think eating healthy is a punishment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
But these people are not capable of taking care of their own kids without government help so it becomes a public issue. Yes I do understand there is a myriad of reasons for them ending up on that situation but it is what it is.
It isn't just parents, it's also the disabled and elderly. They will not be getting off of the program, they have misfortune of being poor and old or sick. They have enough problems, leave them alone.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

No but while they are why not help them take better care of themselves and their kids?

Old 05-10-2019, 06:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
No but while they are why not help them take better care of themselves and their kids?
Once again, who's diet are we going to make them follow? The one for diabetics? The diet that is gluten-free, grain free? Vegetarians? Vegans? Who's diet are they supposed to follow?

There are also people who think infant formula is unhealthy and women on welfare shouldn't be able to buy it, and should be forced to breastfeed only. Even if they can't.

There is no end to what can be considered potentially unhealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies