Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,234,032 times

Advertisements

Maybe you need to rethink your news sources. National sources report national news, you want local then check those channels or your local paper. If you don’t have one, well that is the cost of not supporting local journalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 01:06 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times
What I have noticed is people who have absolutely zero understanding of the news gathering process and would seem to believe the work would be served by publishing PR handouts complaining about facts that don't agree with their worldview.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:07 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
What I have noticed is people who have absolutely zero understanding of the news gathering process and would seem to believe the work would be served by publishing PR handouts complaining about facts that don't agree with their worldview.
The news sources are creating a worldview that are at odds with the reality that most people live in.

More importantly, it is toxic to the national discourse and people's psychology and well-being.

That was my point.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:08 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
I don't frequent them often enough, but I think one major American news source that doesn't do these narratives as often as, say Fox or CNN, is the Associated Press.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The news sources are creating a worldview that are at odds with the reality that most people live in.

More importantly, it is toxic to the national discourse and people's psychology and well-being.

That was my point.
Then tell us Mr. Cronkite, how should the process be executed?

Old 05-08-2019, 01:12 PM

And by the way, I am not saying that the news should be abandoned forever.

Just until such time there is no longer this toxic discourse and things are somewhat back to normal.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 PM

10,061 posts, read 14,430,706 times
News organizations have been evolving for decades into just the messy states they are in today.

What started out defined as "news," -- observations of what is happening, neutral reporting of what is happening, and unbiased overview -- has turned into opinion-swaying propaganda pieces, all in the name of profit.

CNN, MSNBC, Fox, and the cable networks report on such hysterics on such a regular basis now, that you don't know what is truth or what is opinion, or what is made up as partial truth/partial lie. It's a mess.

It's a shame what these networks call reporting these days.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,981,852 times
Quote:
Every news source, whether broadcast or written, has become corrupt and 100% propaganda. All the information they produce, without exception, is giving a false view of reality.

News sources have become toxic and dangerous. They are a form of mind control. Liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican, it makes no difference.

They have become as dangerous as any authoritarian government or religious institution.

Therefore, I call on everyone to abandon all news sources immediately.

I did the same a few weeks ago.
There's big corporate bucks in hearsay...

Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Then tell us Mr. Cronkite, how should the process be executed?
I strongly suggest that people get their real news straight from the horse's mouth only and not from any middle man, interpreter or source.

So, for example, if you want to know Trump's or Pelosi's views on something, ONLY listen directly to what they are saying.

Only read their own words or listen to their speeches on their web site.

Do not listen to anything that is reported or interpreted about what they are saying from a third source.

In other words, avoid "news" sources, channels or publications at all costs.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:24 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
I strongly suggest that people get their real news straight from the horse's mouth only and not from any middle man, interpreter or source.

So, for example, if you want to know Trump's or Pelosi's views on something, ONLY listen directly to what they are saying.

Only read their own words or listen to their speeches on their web site.

Do not listen to anything that is reported or interpreted about what they are saying from a third source.

In other words, avoid "news" sources, channels or publications at all costs.
The answer is simple - pay for journalism. Free "news" organizations do not sell news at all, they sell carefully selected and categorized audiences to advertisers. Next, read critically. What is quote and what is supposition, why was that particular question asked of that person, etc.

But you cannot do without a middleman asking the questions, looking up the facts, finding the discrepancies, knowing the unnamed sources. That's a job, and that calls for compensation. Those in power would love it if we just read their press releases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies