Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:18 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

With the taxes California has, and the frivolous things they spend it on, how in the world is any school district there starved for money?

Yet the answer, please pay more taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:16 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
California is not the only place this occurs. It has to do with the hybrid nature of teacher contracts.
After I learned more about it, it's perfectly reasonable what they are doing IMO.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Tea...0Yd2_xCXZ4862M

Teacher with breast cancer on medical leave, is forced to pay for substitute.

Terrible indeed. Nearly every teacher in CA who develops cancer would be punished by this rule.

I have had three cancers. For two, I had longer periods of chemo; during that time, I had to pay for locums to cover my practice, but I am not a public employee. I would hope that such practices are not universal for public employees around the country, as it certainly sounds cruel.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the article...
Right now, teachers get 10 sick days per year, then they can take medical leave for 100 days. During that entire time, the cost of a substitute teacher is taken out of their paychecks.

If more time is needed, teachers can take from a catastrophic sick leave bank, donated by other teachers, for 85 days.

"We'd love to change it, but we're working in a public school system that's been financially on starvation," said Eric Heins, president of the California Teachers Association.
Who agreed to that legislation?

The only reason I can fathom as to why that got passed, is that some people must have really abused the system before that legislation came into play.
Since LEGISLATORS create laws (with lobbyist help) and the governor signs laws
I guess the ones who were in those positions 30 yrs ago when it passed into law...

Old 05-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 9 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Tea...0Yd2_xCXZ4862M

Teacher with breast cancer on medical leave, is forced to pay for substitute.
What.

I didn't think the UK was overly generous compared to many European countries however at least in the UK your employer has to pay you a minimum of over £118 ($153) a week for the first 28 weeks you are sick however most employers pay far more, whilst you can also claim state welfare such as sickness benefits, and carers allowance.

Prescriptions are also usually free in such circumstances and you will be supported by the NHS and other organsations such as Local Social Services, Macmillian Cancer Support and Marie Curie Nurses (for terminal patients) and Breast Caner Care Nurses, all of whom will advise you in relation to benefits and financial planning. There is no way an employer could ever legally make an employee pay for a substitute in the UK or Europe, in fact it would be seen as immoral and repugnant.

Macmillan Cancer Support - Wikipedia

Marie Curie (charity) - Wikipedia

Breast Cancer Care - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-09-2019 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-09-2019, 11:55 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Couldn't you apply for state disability? Then FMLA would have protected your job for you. Anyway, the sick teacher didn't have to pay for anything. Her salary that she was not getting was going to the substitute. That's exactly how it should work.

Lol. No. I laugh because people have this assumption that disability is a) easy to get, b) expedient to get, c) available for shorter/medium term illness.

Disability requires you to be unable to work for 6 months, and typically takes longer than 6 months to receive. I may have qualified as my doctors strongly recommended against working, but I would have been left with the problem of having no way to pay for my needs in the meantime. As it was, I was going to food pantries and applying for assistance because the costs of cancer even with good health insurance were more than my entire year's take home income when I was just 4 months into the job - which also meant that FMLA would not have protected me. I was at a very real risk of losing health coverage.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:07 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I know people want charter schools and more private schools. But has anyone asked of there will be any teachers left after our current group retires. You don't see young teachers in schools like you used to 15 years ago.

Teachers are aging fast and enrollment into education fields have tanked. We have been crapping on teachers as long as I can remember. I'm starting to think the limiting factor in education in 10 years is finding someone to actually teach.
Not where I live. They are ALL young where I live. Often female. Often work a few years and go on maternity leave for several months so we get to pay 2 teachers.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:12 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Lol. No. I laugh because people have this assumption that disability is a) easy to get, b) expedient to get, c) available for shorter/medium term illness.

Disability requires you to be unable to work for 6 months, and typically takes longer than 6 months to receive. I may have qualified as my doctors strongly recommended against working, but I would have been left with the problem of having no way to pay for my needs in the meantime. As it was, I was going to food pantries and applying for assistance because the costs of cancer even with good health insurance were more than my entire year's take home income when I was just 4 months into the job - which also meant that FMLA would not have protected me. I was at a very real risk of losing health coverage.
well that sucks. Sorry to hear about that. In my state you can get Temp Disability for as little as two weeks. I was out for shoulder surgery and got it for 7 weeks. Granted it took 6 weeks to get the money though. Luckily I had an AFLAC Temp Disability plan that paid me right away which was a lump sum check for $3600. Luckily I was at my job for 14 years though beforehand. I also used FMLA. I hope things are better for you now.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,983 times
Quote:
Many rural school districts pay very low wages. My daughter has a teaching certificate, but can't afford to teach. While in college, she was Asst, Mgr. at a Burger King and made more than the local teachers.
That’s pretty sad.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:18 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

That, I presume, is for federal disability. In California, one can apply for short term disability, which is paid for, by a payroll tax (SDI). I knew one lady who applied for short term disability becasue she was off work with the flu, & had no sick pay. I do not know how it works in other states, but state disability will have different requirements to federal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies