Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:17 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'm totally against this.

legalizing schedule 1 narcotics will just make things worse. Right now, the "war on drugs" has for the most part worked.
Wow. Just wow. What planet do you live on?

This is more proof that people can read newspapers, watch the news, and do research on the internet, only to glean from it what they wanted to glean.

There's no debating with someone this out of touch.

The War On Drugs is not only a total failure, but other Western countries, over the last 20 years, have proven that other approaches work much, much better. That information is out there for all to see, but posters like this one will remain perpetually blind to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
this will do nothing to slow the cartels. Neither would full legalization. They would just become the legal suppliers. Full legalization of manufacture and sale of all drugs would be a disaster. Who thinks it's a good idea for people to walk into a store and buy LSD or PCP? You think society has problems now? Clubs would turn into cocaine dens again etc. There would be problems all over the place.
If your logic were true, then when alcohol was legalized, the crime syndicates that were built on prohibition should have flourished 100 years ago. Instead, they crumbled. You'll notice today's alcohol industry is not based on those crime syndicates, and there are no alcohol wars south of the border. We learned that prohibition caused more problems than it solved.

Other areas in the world have figured this out, and embarked on "Harm Reduction" techniques as a different approach to fighting drug addiction. It is working out much, much better than our War On Drugs. Please research it if you don't believe me.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
... and wants the US to do the same. i could go for 'many' or even 'most', but not 'all'.
The US federal government has no power to make federal drug laws. None. Period. It took a Constitutional Amendment to make consumable alcohol illegal and one to reverse that.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:28 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
this will do nothing to slow the cartels. Neither would full legalization. They would just become the legal suppliers. Full legalization of manufacture and sale of all drugs would be a disaster. Who thinks it's a good idea for people to walk into a store and buy LSD or PCP? You think society has problems now? Clubs would turn into cocaine dens again etc. There would be problems all over the place.
Is that why gangster booze and tobacco dens are such scary societal threats to this day?

Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Wow. Just wow. What planet do you live on?

This is more proof that people can read newspapers, watch the news, and do research on the internet, only to glean from it what they wanted to glean.

There's no debating with someone this out of touch.

The War On Drugs is not only a total failure, but other Western countries, over the last 20 years, have proven that other approaches work much, much better. That information is out there for all to see, but posters like this one will remain perpetually blind to it.
Nope. it has worked. In my eyes, you and many others are simply parroting left wing talking points that have neither substance or reality linked to it. You're really putting little if any actual thought into it. It just sounds good--so you repeat it.

It starts by seeing some ridiculous headline calling the "Failure of the Drug War" repeated in some shock seeking opinion column of your newspaper or by someone posing a journalist on TV, coupled with lyrics your favorite rapper without even questioning the finer details of it. Put it altogether--and you actually believe it.

If you had a beating heart over the past 40 years, even if you are completely misinformed about the subject--you can say without a doubt, that the world today is safer from drugs than it was in the 70s, 80s and 90s. IMO that means that it has "worked." WHat I think where you're gravely mistaken is by translating "worked" as substitute for perfect.

For those who think that the "war" hasn't worked, I guess in your eyes, the days of open air drug markets, junkies and and gang wars were a better alternative to what we have now.

For example, NYC peaked at over 2,200 homicides in 1990 (basically all of which were drug related) to roughly to being on pace to being lower than 300 this year. If that means that it hasn't "worked", I'd LOVE to know what your definition of it is.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Nope. it has worked. In my eyes, you and many others are simply parroting left wing talking points that have neither substance or reality linked to it. You're really putting little if any actual thought into it. It just sounds good--so you repeat it.
Being against the war on drugs is not just a "left wing" talking point. Where have you been? Many of us who want this silly "war" to end aren't leftists at all.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:40 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Being against the war on drugs is not just a "left wing" talking point. Where have you been? Many of us who want this silly "war" to end aren't leftists at all.
Fair point, so please explain to me in what ways are we worse off today than when the "drug war" started. Regardless of where you stand politically on this, I'm genuinely interested.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:42 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Wouldn’t legitimate drug makers quickly compete the cartel out of business?
The cartel would become the drug makers... err... Wait a minute, that's already happened so, how about this idea?

Let's just stop doing the drugs and eat more kale and the like.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:52 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:

It starts by seeing some ridiculous headline calling the "Failure of the Drug War" repeated in some shock seeking opinion column of your newspaper or by someone posing a journalist on TV, coupled with lyrics your favorite rapper without even questioning the finer details of it. Put it altogether--and you actually believe it.

If you had a beating heart over the past 40 years, even if you are completely misinformed about the subject--you can say without a doubt, that the world today is safer from drugs than it was in the 70s, 80s and 90s. IMO that means that it has "worked." WHat I think where you're gravely mistaken is by translating "worked" as substitute for perfect.

For those who think that the "war" hasn't worked, I guess in your eyes, the days of open air drug markets, junkies and and gang wars were a better alternative to what we have now.

For example, NYC peaked at over 2,200 homicides in 1990 (basically all of which were drug related) to roughly to being on pace to being lower than 300 this year. If that means that it hasn't "worked", I'd LOVE to know what your definition of it is.
So explain Chicago then. And Baltimore. And Detroit. And many other cities where violent crime exists to this day.

Louisiana has the highest incarceration rate in the entire US (which has the highest incarceration rate on the planet), yet the cities there are extremely violent to the point where even cops are afraid to do their job there.

Some American cities are among the top most violent cities in the world, alongside many Mexican and Central American cities.

I'd suggest taking a field trip outside of your gated suburb some weekend, and you'll see that open drug use absolutely takes place regardless of the pointless drug war.

If you want to correlate drug use to crime, then sure the overall violent crime rate has recently started to decrease...but if you've noticed, draconian laws against cannabis happened to start being reduced as well.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Fair point, so please explain to me in what ways are we worse off today than when the "drug war" started. Regardless of where you stand politically on this, I'm genuinely interested.
The points that have already been brought to your attention in previous from myself and others.

1. Screwing drug user's lives with criminal records for non-violent crimes. Good luck getting much more than minimum wage for YEARS, save for infrequent success stories. Same goes for the sellers. For the latter, you know what happens? They go right back into drug dealing, because the reward is much better than the job prospects they now have available. I'm not saying that's a smart option for them, but I've never been in that predicament...

2. Drug usage is still extremely rampant, but as I said in another post, it's hidden (but not even all that hard to find). This poster just worded it much better than I could have:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So explain Chicago then. And Baltimore. And Detroit. And many other cities where violent crime exists to this day.

Louisiana has the highest incarceration rate in the entire US (which has the highest incarceration rate on the planet), yet the cities there are extremely violent to the point where even cops are afraid to do their job there.

Some American cities are among the top most violent cities in the world, alongside many Mexican and Central American cities.

I'd suggest taking a field trip outside of your gated suburb some weekend, and you'll see that open drug use absolutely takes place regardless of the pointless drug war.

If you want to correlate drug use to crime, then sure the overall violent crime rate has recently started to decrease...but if you've noticed, draconian laws against cannabis happened to start being reduced as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies