Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As everyone knows, there is a Jewish candidate (Bernie Sanders) running for the Democratic candidate in 2020 that has a pretty solid chance of winning the nomination. If they win the nomination and they're successful at beating Trump, they will become the first Jewish president in our country's history.

It will be a huge milestone to achieve after having recently elected our country's first African-American president. Unfortunately, there are a lot of anti-semitic folks in our nation who will not be willing to accept this and the hateful rhetoric and attacks will likely heat up big time if their chances of becoming president grow.

What are your thoughts? Is America ready for a Jewish president?
Why should they care, especially when it is a non-practicing Jew like Sanders? An orthodox one might make some people wonder. The Congress and Senate has many Jewish reps, so obviously people do not see it as a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
I haven't read through this thread, but if Donald Trump and a man named Barack Hussein Obama can get elected anyone can get elected president if you have the money, talent, or in Trump's case foreign connections

Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So rural whites are the victim of prejudice.

P.S. Did you really just imply that jews are not prejudiced against because they do well financially?
Again, let's be serious. Shall we? Please?

OBVIOUSLY, not everyone who is poor is a victim of prejudice, but what fool doesn't consider socioeconomic statistics when it comes to evidence of prejudice? Degree of prejudice? Effects of prejudice?

Also of course, not every victim of prejudice is poor. How dumbed down do we need to get here? I am forever amazed about this sort of nonsense forever clouding the simple facts of these matters that are really quite simple to consider, evaluate and compare objectively. If, however, the goal is to forever push one's particular agenda rather than consider these dynamics objectively, we get the sort of conclusions you seem intent on drawing.

Not only is there a big difference in terms of these statistics between Jews and blacks for example, but consider the simple difference of looks. Or might you dismiss the obvious here too? You can't tell whether someone is necessarily Jewish, so unless a Jewish person really wants to let this be known, they like most of us white people can get a "pass" for the most part without prejudice. Right? A black person or POC? A woman? Different story.

Also of course there are the number of people who are actually antisemitic in positions of power as compared to people who are racist in positions of power. Hint: color of skin makes a difference regardless.

"In an experiment on Airbnb, we find that applications from guests with distinctively African-American names are 16% less likely to be accepted relative to identical guests with distinctively White names. Discrimination occurs among landlords of all sizes, including small landlords sharing the property and larger landlords with multiple properties. It is most pronounced among hosts who have never had an African-American guest, suggesting only a subset of hosts discriminate. While rental markets have achieved significant reductions in discrimination in recent decades, our results suggest that Airbnb’s current design choices facilitate discrimination and raise the possibility of erasing some of these civil rights gains."

https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=51647

More directly, you asked me if "jews are not prejudiced against because they do well financially?" More specifically you asked me if this is what I "implied."

Do you better understand now? I sure do hope so...

Old 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
[/b]
Yeah, I caught that too but didn't have the stomach to respond to him. He thinks because Jews do well financially (on average, lots of exceptions), that has to mean there's not that much prejudice against them. Certainly couldn't have anything to do with the fact that they tend to marry later, have children within marriage, and emphasize higher education as an almost mandatory objective, now could it?

(Liberals tend to blame outside forces for outcomes and ignore personal choices and sacrifices.)
It's ignorant people who misconstrue so much so badly so often, whether they be liberal or conservative, Jewish or Muslim, black or white, male or female.

"Certainly couldn't have anything to do with the fact..."

Again, I rest my case.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Of course, back in 1960 the question was "Is America ready for a Catholic President"? One reason JFK entered some primaries (which was not the usual thing back then) was to prove to his big-money backers that a Catholic could win.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:02 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
It's ignorant people who misconstrue so much so badly so often, whether they be liberal or conservative, Jewish or Muslim, black or white, male or female.

"Certainly couldn't have anything to do with the fact..."

Again, I rest my case.
Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm ignorant. Typical, arrogant liberal.

Are you saying that the main reason Jews are successful, despite antisemitism, is NOT due to their higher levels of education?

Old 05-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thank you: I was thinking the same thing. There may have been a time, way back but certainly not recently. I am not sure many people still move out of neighborhoods but certainly there are more who are bigots when it comes to blacks, than Jews. I wonder where she lives to have a view like that?
Thank you too.

Where one lives to have views like these is in a world spinning on an axis of self-serving propaganda that knows no bounds...

Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thank you too.

Where one lives to have views like these is in a world spinning on an axis of self-serving propaganda that knows no bounds...
Self-serving propoganda?! LIberals dismiss antisemitism by claiming anyone who points it out is party to "self-serving propoganda". That dismissive attitude alone is pretty telling. I don't hear them dismissing Islamophobia (ridiculous word) and racism, that's for sure. But Jews? Eh.

In their illogical minds, there couldn't be much prejudice against Jews because Jews succeed. The flip side is they'd have to acknowledge that Jews have discipline and motivation to earn advanced degrees - and THAT is what accounts for their success. And that would mean they'd have to acknowledge that personal choice, and sacrifices, have something to do with one's success in life.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Unfortunately, antisemitism is alive and well. But I tend to think it is more of a fringe idea at the margin of our politics than something that will move large number of votes. I tend to think a candidate like Buttigieg being gay or Harris being a black women will face more electoral issues than Bernie does for being Jewish.
Yes. I think you better express a comparison more in line with my point from the beginning. I am heartened by people like you who can think a little more objectively in these respects...

When it comes to how our politics are influenced as well, or Hollywood, one doesn't really hear too much concern about undue influence by blacks or women or gays. Again just saying...

"In 2012, The Times reported that Oscar voters were 94% white and 77% male. Four years later, the academy has made scant progress: Oscar voters are 91% white and 76% male, according to a new Times study.

Blacks are about 3% of the academy, up from 2%; Asians and Latinos are each just over 2%, with both groups up slightly."

Not that statistics like these mean anything to some people, but for people who refer to themselves as "Mathguy" in this forum, you'd think they'd at least mean something...

Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm ignorant. Typical, arrogant liberal.

Are you saying that the main reason Jews are successful, despite antisemitism, is NOT due to their higher levels of education?
It's a by product of family. They are more educated because they don't abandon their kids. Jews have a high rate of 2 parent families. L'Chaim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies