Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I'm going by the fact that, proportionately, Jews are victims of hate crimes more than blacks - meaning a Jew is more likely to be the target of a hate crime than a black person. (I myself have been victimized twice.)

In fact, they are victims more than Muslims. It's just that liberals tend to downplay (or outright deny) antisemitism and do not acknowledge the extent to which it exists.
Maybe, just maybe, Black folks were/are used to being the target of hate and so they don't go crying to mommy every time someone calls them the N-word?

Just throwing that out there...because statistics in this type of thing mean nothing unless you are talking big time assault and battery or murder, etc.

Other than that, the records are of "reported" situations which even you can agree is not a tight metric.

I have never been targeted for being Jewish but have been threatened with rape in JV hall...maybe for being white (and being able to be overpowered). I'll bet that fear trumps a lot of others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 PM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Indeed, the question shouldn't have to be asked in 2019.

But as you're aware, there is a large segment of the population who has a certain image of what profile a president should fit. They would be extremely reluctant to vote for a candidate that doesn't fit such a profile.'
Actually there is a small segment of the population that votes due to identity politics but others succumb to identity politics because they are too concerned with appearing to be PC. A candidate's gender, political affiliation, religion, color or nationality doesn't matter when I step into the voting booth - it's who is in my opinion the best candidate to lead us forward.

Let's not start the identity politics already - I figured you all would have learned by the last election that the majority of people - no longer care!!

Old 05-11-2019, 04:25 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
The problem is not that Sanders is Jewish, but how OLD he is now. Ditto for Biden. I say this as a 70 year old Democrat. MY age is too old, let alone any candidate older than I am; TRUMP included.

Where are the 40, 50, or even 60 year old candidates?

Old 05-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
A converted Jew is a Jew.
Not according to MANY Jews...in fact, not according to most of the Jews who consider other Jews not to be Jews (Hasidim, Orthodox).

Only approved conversions are Jews. Of course, given the money Ivanka paid, she is likely on the honor roll.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:27 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The problem is not that Sanders is Jewish, but how OLD he is now. Ditto for Biden. I say this as a 70 year old Democrat. MY age is too old, let alone any candidate older than I am; TRUMP included.
He is literally Grandpa Simpson at this point. He gets nuttier by the day. Look at this tweet for crying out loud!! All these people have to do to beat Trump is not be crazy and they can't even come close to doing it.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/st...10040346251264

Old 05-11-2019, 04:28 PM

As a Jew I detested Lieberman because I always had the idea (from watching and listening) that he was neither truly orthodox (as claimed) and/or that he was sworn to the USA instead of to BOTH Israel and the USA.

I do agree on the youth thing somewhat...there are exceptions. Biden seems young at heart and in good shape....I have a 68 year old friend who does triathlons, so perhaps she could handle it....

And, let's face it, if GWB (intellectually) and Trump (in ANY way) can sit there, so can just about anyone else!

Old 05-11-2019, 04:29 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not according to MANY Jews...in fact, not according to most of the Jews who consider other Jews not to be Jews (Hasidim, Orthodox).

Only approved conversions are Jews. Of course, given the money Ivanka paid, she is likely on the honor roll.
So who's definition are you going to accept? The one from ultra-conservative Orthodox?

#irony

Old 05-11-2019, 04:31 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Oh, for Heaven's sake: we've already HAD at least one Jewish President.
Something You Might Not Know
That author makes an assumption, They provided no actual records of proof.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
So who's definition are you going to accept? The one from ultra-conservative Orthodox?

#irony
Pretty much...when it comes to really being actually Jewish, you can't get the nod from the local lesbian/unitarian/jewish female liberal reform Rabbi-ette.

I didn't make up the rules or the religion, but given your view we can just do it mail-order or over the internet for a low fee.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:32 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Maybe, just maybe, Black folks were/are used to being the target of hate and so they don't go crying to mommy every time someone calls them the N-word?

Just throwing that out there...because statistics in this type of thing mean nothing unless you are talking big time assault and battery or murder, etc.

Other than that, the records are of "reported" situations which even you can agree is not a tight metric.

I have never been targeted for being Jewish but have been threatened with rape in JV hall...maybe for being white (and being able to be overpowered). I'll bet that fear trumps a lot of others....
OH please. The disdain you have for Jews and antisemitism is right there in your post. Just like a liberal, you're downplaying antisemitism. (Waaaa....."blacks don't go crying to mommy," implying that Jews do.)

And what's with this claim about your being Jewish? You already let it slip in another thread that your parents sent you to military school where you sang Onward Christian Soldiers during church services every Sunday. Jewish parents wouldn't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies