Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:31 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Unfortunately, I've not a found a third party that represents me either.

I feel like some politicians get into politics for the right reasons - caring about ideals . . but end up getting corrupted by the whole system.
In 2016 I voted for the Libertarian (Johnson/Weld) ticket. Now Weld is going to run as a Republican. Of course he doesn't stand a snowball's chance but it doesn't take much to draw Trump out let him make a fool of himself. Weld will throw some jabs at Trump who will respond in his usual unhinged manner trying to stick Weld with silly nicknames--"Boozy Bill" or "Whisky Weld" or whatever. I would love to see Weld and Trump debate. Trump would bluster and bully while Weld would score points on policy and economics being that he's a smart cookie and Trump is a blithering idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 05:35 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I’m beginning to realize that I loathe both Democrat and Republican ideology, for the following reasons:

On Democrats:

1) The Democrats no long stand for ordinary working people. They stand for rich white intellectuals who want other people to pay for their “compassion.”

2) They care more about non-citizens who are here illegally. Anyone who disagrees with illegal immigration is immediately branded a nativist or a racist.

3) They are correct that AGW is real, but they think that wind turbines and solar panels are going to solve the problem, but they won’t. The Germans tried it, and it didn’t work. Only nuclear power can deeply cut CO2 emissions, but Democrats are against nuclear power.

On Republicans:

1) They want to take country back to the Gilded Age of the late 1800s, when a few wealthy industrialists had all of the money (and the power to buy the government). They have largely succeeded. Unless you are a billionaire, the Republicans are working against your interests.

2) They’re basically the party of racists and evangelical nut jobs. They’re the party of people with a medieval worldview, which sees the Christian God as controller of the universe. Many of these people believe that the Christian God will punish us if we don’t obey him. Thus all of the hysteria over gay marriage and abortion, and the desire to pack the Supreme Court with far-right justices.

3) They’ve become the party of anti-intellectualism. This is closely related to (2).

I personally think that BOTH political parties should be abolished immediately, because they are BOTH a threat to the well being of America.

That's why I supported (and still support) Trump. He really is not a republican nor a democrat.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,767,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Trump is extreme and does not represent the majority of Americans who want decent health insurance. He only wants to take it away. And the majority of Americans are not Evangelicals whom Trump courts.

"The crop of Dems running for office--you are right, they make people think Dems want open borders and reparations, etc. They don't represent the American people either.

Where is the candidate who will truly represent us?
Given the extent to which special interests are the ones who vote in primaries and who fund campaigns, it would be exceedingly difficult for a true centrist to get the nomination of either party. Moderates are left to choose whoever comes closest to speaking to them.

As already stated I voted for 10 of the last 11 Presidential winners and my #1 issue issue looking ahead to 2020 is illegal immigration. For some the #1 issue might be healthcare, environmental issues, abortion, or basic economic matters. In my case I will not vote for any open borders candidate. There are other issues I care about, but illegal immigration is a litmus test for me. None of the Dem candidates are supporting border control, so thus far it is Trump in 2020 for me.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Trump is extreme and does not represent the majority of Americans who want decent health insurance. He only wants to take it away. And the majority of Americans are not Evangelicals whom Trump courts.

"The crop of Dems running for office--you are right, they make people think Dems want open borders and reparations, etc. They don't represent the American people either.

Where is the candidate who will truly represent us?
NYC Mayor Ed Koch used to say:

Quote:
If you agree with me on nine out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12, see a psychiatrist.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:32 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
American Democrat Leftists are such unconscionable, aggressive, and relentless liars that it is hard to overstate that point. They are truly depraved and untrustworthy people. They are promoters of evil, whether they admit it, or realize it, or are willing to take responsibility for it, or not.
This post is a prime example of what I talk about in my earlier post: the blinding ideology of both the left and right in American political culture. It's full of all the anger, hostility, name-calling, character assassinations -- and hypocrisy -- that come from both political sides. Ridiculous. You sound as "unconscionable," "depraved," and "aggressive" as the Democrat Leftists you vilify. But you're oblivious to that.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:36 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,346 times
Quote:
I’m beginning to realize that I loathe both Democrat and Republican ideology, for the following reasons:

On Democrats:

1) The Democrats no long stand for ordinary working people. They stand for rich white intellectuals who want other people to pay for their “compassion.”

2) They care more about non-citizens who are here illegally. Anyone who disagrees with illegal immigration is immediately branded a nativist or a racist.

3) They are correct that AGW is real, but they think that wind turbines and solar panels are going to solve the problem, but they won’t. The Germans tried it, and it didn’t work. Only nuclear power can deeply cut CO2 emissions, but Democrats are against nuclear power.

On Republicans:

1) They want to take country back to the Gilded Age of the late 1800s, when a few wealthy industrialists had all of the money (and the power to buy the government). They have largely succeeded. Unless you are a billionaire, the Republicans are working against your interests.

2) They’re basically the party of racists and evangelical nut jobs. They’re the party of people with a medieval worldview, which sees the Christian God as controller of the universe. Many of these people believe that the Christian God will punish us if we don’t obey him. Thus all of the hysteria over gay marriage and abortion, and the desire to pack the Supreme Court with far-right justices.

3) They’ve become the party of anti-intellectualism. This is closely related to (2).

I personally think that BOTH political parties should be abolished immediately, because they are BOTH a threat to the well being of America.
DemocRATS and RepublicCAN'Ts are NOT ideologies, they are parties. Conservative and Liberal are ideologies.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:38 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Both of you two are correct.
There's a big difference between those posts. One poster commented on the political leader of our country -- fair game. The other poster made an over-the-top, absurb, sweeping attack on a huge segment of the US population.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Starting to loathe? LOL I have loathed them for at least 16 years. I really loath the hardliners who are willfully blind in regards to their own. The enable and empower. That is why we were stuck with a choice between Trump and Hillary.
America chose wisely.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:59 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:

On Democrats:

On Republicans:

I think you are overstating the red #2 a bit. They are a middle sized subset of the GOP, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I'm for the Trump movement. Screw the rest of them.
Trump isn't beholden or owned by lobbyist !!!
Ajit Pai
Scott Pruitt
David Bernhardt
Dean Heyl
Brian Hart
etc
etc
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Democrats are the party of Antifa, bigotry, identity politics, felons, and illegal aliens. The Republicans have their flaws, but they are far far far better than the Democrats.
^^^True. The GOP is the party of assorted inbred racists, militia loons, and Gilded Age romantics.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I'm for the Trump movement. Screw the rest of them.
Trump isn't beholden or owned by lobbyist !!!
How odd, all of his policies are based upon the urging of lobbyists and big money donors.

I know you remember that Trump said he is self funded during his campaign, it made a huge impression on a lot of ordinary folks like me, but did you notice when he stopped saying that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies