U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:00 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,108,267 times

Advertisements

...And what is that experience like? We've heard a lot from homosexuals fighting for equality and gay marriage (as every thread on the subject is 200 pages long), but haven't heard much from transsexual, transgender, third gender, etc. Is there a fear of unacceptance even greater than that of homosexuality?
Rate this post positively

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,799,531 times
my ex husband is transgender and he finds that there is no acceptance in any community, but he actively lobbies for acceptance politically and socially

Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,108,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
my ex husband is transgender and he finds that there is no acceptance in any community, but he actively lobbies for acceptance politically and socially
I wonder how many years before we could see an transgender president?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 AM

4,042 posts, read 5,738,018 times
Quote:
Good for him! And I've definitely noticed how in the gay community (or GLBTQ or whatever), there is little acceptance of transgendered people. Sad, especially when the group tries to use that alphabet soup name I referenced there in an attempt to prove themselves to be all-inclusive when sometimes, anything differing from their norm is cast aside just as the larger community casts them aside.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 AM

10,346 posts, read 9,767,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
...And what is that experience like? We've heard a lot from homosexuals fighting for equality and gay marriage (as every thread on the subject is 200 pages long), but haven't heard much from transsexual, transgender, third gender, etc. Is there a fear of unacceptance even greater than that of homosexuality?
You mean like flaming or just when the wifes gets freaky

Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 AM

89 posts, read 57,653 times
Quote:
Probably because it's a mental illness that shouldn't be something to cheered at nor accepted.

When a man dresses as a woman or vise-versa, it indicates something is seriously wrong with the individual. If anything, the person should be placed in a padded-room with no windows.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,799,531 times
veltz i have dealt with this issue for years and there are many different types of issues involved. in my husband's case, his hormonal levels, etc all indicated that he should have the change. years and years and years of trying to fit in to his male body led to depression, etc, just be glad you do not have to experience it, but you need not be afraid of it, nor need you be mean, it is hard enough on familiies dealing with it, without being treated badly as you are trying to cope

Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,634,797 times
We used to associate social stigma and institute "corrective action" toward people who were left handed. We've matured a bit as a society and now generally accept that harmless deviation from what is most common.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,815,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltz View Post
Probably because it's a mental illness that shouldn't be something to cheered at nor accepted.
The "illness" part of it is the mismatch between the body and the brain. The treatment is gender reassignment surgery, should the person be willing to go through with it, of course.

Quote:
When a man dresses as a woman or vise-versa, it indicates something is seriously wrong with the individual. If anything, the person should be placed in a padded-room with no windows.
This is not a thread about transvestites. What exactly is "wrong" with people who dress like the opposite sex? Norms of dress are nothing but social constructs. There isn't anything inherently "correct" about them.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:04 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltz View Post

Or people who think they're really a type of animal...ever recall hearing about that guy who's "transformed" himself into a tiger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.