Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:24 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bit of a PITA to have to take your car in every year to verify miles driven.
What ?

Why wouldn't the gov. trust its citizens to send in the correct mileage ?
The same way they send in other taxes.
People shouldn't trust gov. but a gov. that can't trust its citizens is doing something wrong.
Maybe taxing them to much !!! Just a guess !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Since I used an app I calculated what I am paying in gasoline taxes. Last year I used 550 gallons and our state and fed gas tax combined is 39 cents. So my gas tax bill is $215. If I have an electric vehicle I don't mind paying that amount in yearly vehicle registration tax. Not $1000.

Most people charge using home charging stations. Some even use solar and try to make it free. So tax at EV stations might not bring much income except for the occasional long distance ride.
I did a calc based on 1,000 gallons per year (25,000 miles at an average of 25 mpg). In your state that's $390.

So yeah - how they got to $1000... who knows?

But what would happen if they did that in a yearly fee - is people would drive much more since the gas tax would make it cheaper to drive.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bit of a PITA to have to take your car in every year to verify miles driven.
No idea about Illinois, but NC requires yearly safety inspection to get your tag renewed. The inspection can be done at any car repair place and there are even some places that do nothing but inspections. Not a big deal.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Those gas taxes have to go somewhere if more people are buying electric cars. Only a matter of time before State and Local taxes move from gas to something else to capture electric cars.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Then let’s get away from gas tax as a way to pay for roads and institute a yearly fee based on vehicle weight and miles driven. That puts people driving miles in their cars directly responsible for wear and tear on the roads and funding new ones.
Because verifying miles driven would be a logistical headache. Gas taxes have been a pretty effective proxy for "weight and miles driven." In general, the heavier your vehicle is and the more you drive, the more gas you use and the more fuel tax you pay. At least until EV's started becoming mainstream. Thus the flat rate fee proposal for EV's.

$1000 does seem a little heavy-handed, though. My back-of-the-napkin calculation suggests the typical gasoline powered family sedan would have to drive roughly 40,000 miles a year to pay that much in gas tax (at the new rate proposed in the same bill as the $1000 EV registration fee), sales tax on gas purchases (not surprisingly, Illinois double-taxes gasoline), and standard registration fees.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Then let’s get away from gas tax as a way to pay for roads and institute a yearly fee based on vehicle weight and miles driven.
There is no fairer system than that.

Start with a base mileage rate and modify it by vehicle weight. Everyone pays exactly their fare share.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:46 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
another way to fund their pension debt. So glad I left Illinois 5 years ago.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:59 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There is no fairer system than that.

Start with a base mileage rate and modify it by vehicle weight. Everyone pays exactly their fare share.
Not really, like @madpaddy mentions, the current scheme of taxation through gas consumption is about as close as you're going to get and still be reasonable:

- Occupants and load have an effect on gross vehicle weight, why should a single individual driving a heavier base weight vehicle have to pay more than a lower base weight vehicle that constantly drives more individuals or is used to haul supplies or pull a trailer all day?

- Depending on location and travel patterns, some percentage of your travel may include out of state travel, one would be paying for non use.

- You would totally miss out of state vehicles travelling on your roads. If they're driving on it, why not have them help pay for it.

Not that the gas tax is perfect either, personally I'd prefer something that had less govt overhead to implement.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

A proposed hike in Illinois’ annual registration fee for electric vehicles, from $17.50 to $1,000, is being called unfair by current EV owners, and a sales disincentive by manufacturers — just as the new technology is beginning to gain broader traction.

Aimed at raising money to make overdue road improvements across Illinois, the proposed legislation would also more than double the state’s gas tax to 44 cents a gallon and raise the registration fee for standard vehicles to $148, from $98, among other elements.

Hybrids and plug-in electric hybrids, which both use gas to supplement electric power, are not included in the $1,000 fee proposal.

The justification for the dramatic hike? Electric vehicles don’t provide the state with any gas tax revenue.

Government sees each individual vehicle as a source of revenue. That revenue includes a registration fee/tax and gas taxes... maybe tolls as well. The bulk of the money comes thru gas taxes. Electric vehicles skip the gas tax. That can't happen as far as government is concerned.

Personal Property Tax in Virginia for a $30,000 pickup runs about $1,000 bucks a year
compared to a 10 year old car which runs about $250. What's the big deal ?
Revenue got to come from somewhere. Money does not grow on trees.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

A proposed hike in Illinois’ annual registration fee for electric vehicles, from $17.50 to $1,000, is being called unfair by current EV owners, and a sales disincentive by manufacturers — just as the new technology is beginning to gain broader traction.

Aimed at raising money to make overdue road improvements across Illinois, the proposed legislation would also more than double the state’s gas tax to 44 cents a gallon and raise the registration fee for standard vehicles to $148, from $98, among other elements.

Hybrids and plug-in electric hybrids, which both use gas to supplement electric power, are not included in the $1,000 fee proposal.

The justification for the dramatic hike? Electric vehicles don’t provide the state with any gas tax revenue.

Government sees each individual vehicle as a source of revenue. That revenue includes a registration fee/tax and gas taxes... maybe tolls as well. The bulk of the money comes thru gas taxes. Electric vehicles skip the gas tax. That can't happen as far as government is concerned.
Illinois, like most states run by left wingers, is looking for $$$ wherever they can find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies