Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:32 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

This seems fair. If they aren't paying a gas tax to maintain the roads, then they have to pay for it another way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I do alot of driving for work every day and Ive noticed most of the roads that are in bad shape, its not due to lots of traffic or lack of maintenance, a large part of it, is they install all the water mains underneath the roads and whenever they do repairs, they cut up the road, and then try to pave it back, or blacktop it, but it always ends up being very rough.

Another major obstacle in roads is all the manhole covers, I guess we need a man hole every 10ft!! LOL, and when they repave these roads, the man hole becomes a BIG pot hole!

Old 05-14-2019, 06:41 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If Illinois is low on income why don't they start taxing all the dead people on their voting rolls?
Funny!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bit of a PITA to have to take your car in every year to verify miles driven.
Not really. In the densely populated areas of Illinois, one has to have an emissions test to be able to renew their vehicle registration. There's a record of the actual mileage on every report. So, that's a start.

The problem would be getting compliance from motorcyclists (motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing) and those who live in sparsely populated areas of the state that do not have the emissions testing requirement.

I actually DO believe in: the user pays. That could be tolls (most are done automatically now with a transponder), or a tax on mileage.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No idea about Illinois, but NC requires yearly safety inspection to get your tag renewed. The inspection can be done at any car repair place and there are even some places that do nothing but inspections. Not a big deal.
Exactly. And the mileage is included on each inspection report transmitted electronically to the NC DOT from the tester.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
another way to fund their pension debt. So glad I left Illinois 5 years ago.
I left 5 years ago, as well!

Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who should pay the most for roads other than the people who use them?

Guess the US could do more like Mexico and sell tolling rights.

Free roads are poorly maintained while private roads are in better shape. All one needs to do is pay huge tolls to use the private roads.

I am a big believer in states rights. If Illinois wants to do that or make more toll roads (they already have about 300 miles of them) go for it. Who cares. Its up to the voters there down the road to decide if these tax hikes are warranted.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Because verifying miles driven would be a logistical headache.
Only for small-minded people.

Over the last 30 years, nearly all States have changed registration renewal from purchase date to birth date.

That spreads registrations out over the year, instead of having registrar's offices besieged and inundated in March/April, when dealers reduce prices to avoid paying taxes on inventory, and September/October when new models come out.

It would take all of 60 seconds for a registrar to walk out of the office and get the mileage from a vehicle.

I'm not seeing where that's a logistical headache.

Many cars since 2003 and nearly all cars in the last several years have event data recorders.

It would be child's play for a registrar to use an RFID scanner to read the mileage from inside the office.

That would take what, all of 6 seconds?

Your "logistical headaches" are manufactured in your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Not really, like @madpaddy mentions, the current scheme of taxation through gas consumption is about as close as you're going to get and still be reasonable:
No, it isn't.

It's the Laws of Physics, well, hell, it isn't even that, it's 7th & 8th Grade Natural Science concepts of mass and weight.

Heavier vehicles cause more road wear and damage. Period.

Why should someone with a sub-compact, compact or small or mid-size car pay the same as someone with a big GMC/Ford/Dodge truck or SUV?

They shouldn't, and it's not even remotely fair to make them.

Taxing people by their mileage and vehicle weight is the absolute fairest way, and that's what's gonna happen in the end, so get used to it.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Make it nice there in Illinois, everybody should pay for the roads. Just raise taxes, if $1,000 isn't enough, raise them some more.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 AM

193 posts, read 69,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I left 5 years ago, as well!
Lucky , I'm trying to flee this sinking ship, just waiting on a job transfer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies