Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

This probably won't make for typical preferred thread fodder, but I read so much "spewing" about one extreme or another, again I find myself asking the same question. Why?

Best I can tell from reading the comments in this forum, following politics and the news, most people either can't or don't want to actually address the fundamental differences between Democrats and Republicans in proper terms. Instead, we pick our favorite "punching bags" as if representative of the whole, and then we "spew" about how the other side spews. Spewing has become quite popular lately. We tend toward extremism, because being reasonable about our differences tends to make the other side seem reasonable. Can't have that of course.

Result: ultimately a lot of spewed nonsense and waste of time to nowhere, just as this thread is likely to be as well. I was going to name this thread "In the name of making sense instead of nonsense," because this forum is simply proving too ridiculous for words in general, more words anyway, but in the name of making sense of the nonsense despite the odds...

Here is a pretty good description of our differences. If each difference is weighted according to importance far as we are personally concerned then scored by way of choosing which description we are more inclined to support, tally the total score and you can pretty well establish not only which side you are on but why. Perhaps more importantly why reasonable people may not agree with you. Might be interesting to see if the "rumor" is true, that most posters in this forum are conservative, so at a minimum maybe simply let that be known. Which platform description best describes how you lean?

Are you a single issue voter or do you consider the whole? Again why?

If you don't think this is a pretty good description of our differences, then understanding why might also be interesting if you care to explain.

"This comparison examines the differences between the policies and political positions of the Democratic and Republican parties on major issues such as taxes, the role of government, entitlements (Social Security, Medicare), gun control, immigration, healthcare, abortion, environmental policy and regulation. These two parties dominate America's political landscape but differ greatly in their philosophies and ideals."

https://www.diffen.com/difference/De..._vs_Republican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies