Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:58 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No. Tubal ligation is birth control. As is a vasectomy.
I had to prove I had 2 kids before my doc would unload my gun for me. He refused until I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 05:50 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If a professional is morally opposed to some procedures, then they shouldn’t be in that profession.
Any procedure or just the ones that you believe in?
There are plenty of cutters to go to without taking away someones personal freedoms.
Thats a broad brush you paint with there. Michael Jackson's doctors didn't seem to have any moral qualms. The man had so many surgeries his nose was in danger of rotting off. I myself would want a doctor who has a moral compass besides what leads to cash. Going by your standards, they should perform the procedures no matter what.

My Wife's OB GYN is absolutely opposed to doing abortions, but she is a wonderful doctor. She is a Buddhist . My wife is very comfortable with her. My wife is also a Buddhist .

My point is that a person can be an outstanding doctor that simply doesn't do certain procedures. I think some people

Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Ding ding ding.

If you are a gynecologist or surgeon who won't perform a tubal ligation on a woman because of some made up criteria in your head, what other incredibly poor professional decisions are you making based on your prejudices?

Maybe teaching medicine is a better place for you thank practicing a bastardized version of it.
Yes the all or nothing school of thought. Remind me again, what kind of society do you advocate for? Me? I believe in freedom.

I have 3 bad discs in my back. My doctor here says that surgery in his opinion only offers about an 80% chance of relief. He won't do the surgery. Only an 80% chance? LOL. In the states it would be .006% and absolutely you must get cut. I like a doctor that has a moral compass besides money.

I also like a society that allows a doctor to decline doing a medical procedure because they simply dont agree with it.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Because according to Ohio law makers any drug or device that prevents implantation of a fertilized egg is what they call a “non therapeutic abortion”. Both IUDs and birth control pills fall into this category. But, don’t worry, the bill sponsor is sure drug companies can just whip up some new kind of BC pill to compensate.

They also want to legislate that any egg removed during surgery for an ectopic pregnancy must be placed in the uterus so it can implant. That is science fiction and not medically possible doesn’t matter. Neither does making an already risky life saving surgery longer and riskier. Who cares if the woman dies as long as a non viable egg gets a “chance” at life?

Yeah, they call it a "non-therapeutic abortion" but reality is that abortion is the ending of a pregnancy before its term is complete. If the fertilized egg hasn't implanted, the woman isn't pregnant. Ergo, preventing its implantation is not an abortion, since there was no pregnancy in the first place.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
The issue of regret is very real, and there are very effective reversible methods of contraception.

This study found that about 40% of women who were sterilized between ages 18 and 24 requested information on reversal of tubal ligation.

https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0...00)01558-2/pdf

I cannot fault a physician who hesitates to sterilize very young women.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:37 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
I don't think doctors should be, say, legally required to perform elective procedures, including tubal ligations and vasectomies. But I do think there should be some consequence for denying service based on unprofessional criteria like "she's too young to know whether she'll want children." Maybe something financial, like loss of some sort of tax benefit, or not being able to do business with insurance companies that use public funds.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:49 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Because according to Ohio law makers any drug or device that prevents implantation of a fertilized egg is what they call a “non therapeutic abortion”. Both IUDs and birth control pills fall into this category. But, don’t worry, the bill sponsor is sure drug companies can just whip up some new kind of BC pill to compensate.

They also want to legislate that any egg removed during surgery for an ectopic pregnancy must be placed in the uterus so it can implant. That is science fiction and not medically possible doesn’t matter. Neither does making an already risky life saving surgery longer and riskier. Who cares if the woman dies as long as a non viable egg gets a “chance” at life?
Oh my gosh, that idiot politician talking about implanting an ectopic pregnancy into the uterus. I know three women who would have been thrilled if that was a possibility. Instead they ended up in agony and in emergency surgery to remove it. What a dumb*** he is.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Oh my gosh, that idiot politician talking about implanting an ectopic pregnancy into the uterus. I know three women who would have been thrilled if that was a possibility. Instead they ended up in agony and in emergency surgery to remove it. What a dumb*** he is.
An ectopic pregnancy WILL rupture. There is no way to know precisely when. Mine ruptured at around 7 weeks. Massive internal bleeding. I was 32 with one child. Doc said if I had been older he would have done a complete hysterectomy. When it ruptures, the embryo is dead.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 PM

63 posts, read 49,644 times
Three different doctors turned me away when I wanted a tubal ligation. I was "too young" in my late 20s.
Doctors should not refuse to perform any medical procedures based purely on age and/or moral issues.
They should also have legal protection in case a patient regrets her choice to pursue irreversible birth control

My husband graciously decided to have a vasectomy. One urologist wanted to talk me because I was "only 29".
We knew where that conversation would go so we decided to go to another clinic. The doctor didn't preach to us at this one.
The operation was quick and easy. I took care of my hubby for four days before he went back to work. My husband had a very high sperm count so it took a year for him to become sterile despite our active sex life.

When people tell me that I will change my mind about being childfree, I just smile and mention that my husband has had a vasectomy. Some people ask if I "made" my husband get a vasectomy and a few ignorant fools even ask me why I didn't have my tubes tied.

I have had moments of baby fever. Baby fever quickly subsides once I think about the negative aspects of becoming a parent. What can I say? We enjoy our freedom and disposable income too much. We have a dog and that is enough responsibility for us. We are a devoted aunt and uncle to our nieces; they love visiting us because we spoil them.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:36 PM

13,941 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitytoCountryWife View Post
Doctors should not refuse to perform any medical procedures based purely on age and/or moral issues.
So all those years of school and training should rob them of free will and the right to voluntary association? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies