Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 02:41 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,863,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Thank you for admitting that your mind is completely closed on the subject, and for exposing your one-track thinking for what it is: That your way of trying to make it better, War, is the only way.

If you really think the winds of change are blowing towards ramping-up The War On Drugs you are deluding yourself. Your mind is so closed you can't accept reality.

Even painting all drug addicts as "zombies" as you have is a disconnect from reality. You can't see through your own rage.

I suggest you look into popular opinion about The War On Drugs and its effectiveness. That can be done here on CD simply by looking at the numerous polls on the subject conducted throughout the years, or through Google. Either way, I think you will find that as time goes on, support for The War has waned more and more.

So what will change is not the ramping-up of The War. Instead, we will see more and more prohibitionist politicians getting the boot, as the voters of this country become even more irate with them representing big industry lobbyists instead of us.

There are better solutions out there other than War, if you could only see them.
Don’t underestimate the power of millions of angry like-minded people.

History has proven they sometimes get their way.

The tragedy is that justice against street zombies will eventually be swift and fierce once the tides finally turn and they will face a reality far more harsh than if the libs would have just let us fix it now.

Blood will be on your hands for creating this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 02:52 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
don’t underestimate the power of millions of angry like-minded people.

History has proven they sometimes get their way.

The tragedy is that justice against street zombies will eventually be swift and fierce once the tides finally turn and they will face a reality far more harsh than if the libs would have just let us fix it now.

blood will be on your hands for creating this.
lol!

Talk about unhinged...

Old 05-18-2019, 07:10 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
We do have a lot of programs for them, problem is getting them to go in. In the meantime we could at least put in toilets for them. It's frustrating, but we should keep trying.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
There are functional drug addicts, and people who live with people who tolerate them. Then there are hard drug addicts that steal money from their parents or friends or significant others one too many times and get kicked out of the house. They’re the ones who end up on the streets. Then you have the mentally ill who cannot do for themselves. I don’t know what can be done for them.

But having tents of people all over defacating and leaving used needles everywhere is a huge health crisis. And who wants their kids around people who shoot up and leave needles everywhere and could become violent? I just don’t understand why this is tolerated. At least put some areas off limits and have some bathrooms available.

As for housing, you can’t solve it because to get housing they would be forced to meet criteria that they’re unwilling to meet. Even if they would meet it, there are long waiting lists just to get housing for poor people. Anytime someone has an idea to mitigate this problem, people will complain about housing development in their neighborhoods. Ben Carson wanted to make HUD housing only available to legal residents, and he wasn’t allowed to do that. Imagine if you were on a year long wait list and can’t get housed because people who shouldn’t even be here are taking your spot.

This is a solvable problem if people actually wanted to solve it, but now there’s too much money to be made from it so it will not happen until a plague hits or something equally horrible.
The homeless don't need 3 bedroom homes, or condos, they need a clean safe place to sleep. That can be accomplished in several ways, large tents partitioned off to separate bunks like they have in San Diego, durable tents set up under a freeway with security guards on site as they have in Modesto, tiny houses, and for the homeless who have cars - safe parking lots. I agree that it's unacceptable to have people setting up camps or tents on public sidewalks and parks, but courts have consistently ruled that you can't stop them from sleeping in public unless they are provided shelter.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Reduced cognitive function, ambition, and increased health problems. Not saying can in worse or better than alcohol, but let’s be realistic, all drugs create their own problems.
Also realistically speaking...

Look up the numbers, and you have to accept that lots of people smoke weed just like lots of people drink, beer, wine and cocktails. Some have problems doing so. Others don't. Lots of Americans smoke pot recreationally in just the same way, and they are also well functioning successful working members of society.

I think the numbers are even higher for college kids, and plenty get through college also plenty successful enough. Whether they continue after college depends on a variety of factors and choices, but not all that big a deal either way for most pot smokers I don't think. Better than cigarettes anyway...

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-w...145681414.html

Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
You just don’t get it.

I wasn’t always this way...until I was directly impacted by being threatened with a camp of street zombies being imported into my community, forced upon us by bitter and angry liberals who had enabled these people for years.

As this same scenario plays out across the country, the majority of the population will get fed up with not being able to complete any basic tasks without enduring the crime, harassment, sights, sounds, and smells of these monsters.

Like myself, they will not care about your opinions and “statistics” and “research”. All they will care about is restoring their quality of life and safety that they pay good money for through taxes. Laws will get changed and the zombies will somehow get put in secure facilities, jail, camps, etc.
I do get it...

Nobody really likes ANYTHING about the homeless, let alone all the more "street zombies" right close to home. No one likes the stink, the look, the crime, the drugs -- none of it. No one, not even them. Of course not, but what you don't seem to get is the part about all the rest of this problem without any easy answers. The what to do about it part.

First of all, blaming liberals is your first mistake. At least until you can point to how conservatives have better solutions to the problems we ALL face when it comes to the homeless problem. More than a few comments since my last one in this thread do a pretty good job of pointing out how simply wishing the problem would go away doesn't work. There is the law and basic human rights that can't be ignored either.

At a minimum, the hope that most people with drug and/or mental health problems will be miraculously "cured" is also a bit of wishful thinking, but there are things that can be done to help reduce much about the homeless problem that is so sad and difficult for everyone.

For example, not too far from where I live and not too long ago, there was an illegal homeless encampment that grew quite large, right in plain view of most people coming into town off the freeway, in plain view of local residents as well as tourists too, every day all day. Not the best "welcoming sign" to see first thing for anyone. Not only were the make-shift tents spread about looking sad and shabby, but the trash and living conditions in the camp were nothing short of atrocious -- a dangerous health risk for all concerned. It was like a camp ground in a municipal dump site...

Took some doing before all the legal issues were addressed; about how to force all those people to move, what to do with belongings left behind, where to redirect them. Ultimately how to provide them alternative shelter while the rainy season was still going on. Long-story-short, a much cleaner, safer area was set up for them not too far away but in a far less conspicuous area, in more of a safer industrial area. Fenced off and better hidden from the street, no drugs allowed, fresh new tents in neat rows on pallet like platforms to keep the tents off the dirt, a social services table set up to provide volunteers and information about access to all forms of help.

Leave it to the conservatives and these people would have had nowhere to go, and no doubt all the related problems of homelessness would have been exasperated and spread even further throughout the community, just for starters...

Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Section 8 waiting list used to be 10 years. Now up to almost 20.
That’s sad. So a needy family will see all their children grow up before they can even get housing assistance? Why do we allow it?

Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It should be considered an emergency, no? This is happening all over the US cities right under our assaulted noses, because feces do not smell rosy, and nothing changes. Therefore, it must be acceptable. How much are we going to take and what happens when it gets worse because we accept it as normal.
We've gotten to a place of being too permissive and allowing the nutters to make the rules. Basic common sense stuff seems to have gone out the window.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:11 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We've gotten to a place of being too permissive and allowing the nutters to make the rules. Basic common sense stuff seems to have gone out the window.
My parents were saying exactly the same thing 40 years ago.

I'm pretty sure we'll still be saying it 40 years from now.

Every generation strives to do things differently than their parent's generation did. It's called growing pains.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 AM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
My parents were saying exactly the same thing 40 years ago.

I'm pretty sure we'll still be saying it 40 years from now.

Every generation strives to do things differently than their parent's generation did. It's called growing pains.
I get what your saying to a degree. We all turn into the "get off my lawn" guy as we get older, but jeez. It's beyond simply growing pains. It's inhumane to let people languish on the streets and many of those people have mental issues as well.

We need to take back control and put in some basic standards of conduct. We've gone too far into this don't judge mentality and allowing standards to fall so low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies