Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,460,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Indeed.

A tax cut without an equivalent spending cut is actually a tax deferment. You end up paying more, because of interest.

Maybe we should just reduce taxes to zero and put all of our national expenses on a credit card. Only 17% interest, why not? The economic growth will get us out of it.
The tax cut freaks' goal is to privatize the f-ing government, which will mean all except the rich will no longer benefit from any government services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 PM

45,313 posts, read 26,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I don't see what is inaccurate about the article. Whether or not you agree with that article's conclusion that tax revenue should have gone up 7% in 2018, with inflation, increased population, increased GDP, and decreased unemployment, there is no question revenue should have gone up. But in 2018, revenue went down 0.4%. That is a fact.

Every economist seems to think this was a result of the tax cuts. If not caused by the Trump tax cuts, explain why.
What's inaccurate about the article is that it's not real. It's based on projections. And because we didn't meet the projections, it's considered a cut. Projections aren't real. We collected more money than last year.

Does anyone ever do a projection on spending? I bet that's rising faster than inflation...

Spending should be the focus... not some fraction of a percentage that didn't meet someone's expectation.

How about we expect the government to discipline itself and at least come close to spending the amount of revenue collected?

Old 05-17-2019, 03:50 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,547,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What's inaccurate about the article is that it's not real. It's based on projections. And because we didn't meet the projections, it's considered a cut. Projections aren't real. We collected more money than last year.

Does anyone ever do a projection on spending? I bet that's rising faster than inflation...

Spending should be the focus... not some fraction of a percentage that didn't meet someone's expectation.

How about we expect the government to discipline itself and at least come close to spending the amount of revenue collected?
What nonsense. It’s a year on year analysis, not some figure someone fabricated out of thin air.

If Congress cut tax rates by 50% next year and tax revenue decreased year on year, your view is that there was no real loss of revenue as a result because it’s just a projection? Wow.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,583,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I am reading about quite a few companies slowly (very) moving their supply chains out of China. Yes there are multiple other factors like increasing Chinese costs. No one knows long term how far or fast but I am simply no fan of China.

Mexico has no missiles pointed at us.
Mexico steals far less intellectual property.
Mexico is not trying to take over the South China Sea.
US Mexico trade balance is 1.24 to 1 vs US China trade balance is 4.49 to 1

China is screwing us hard. Something that needs to be worked on in the LONG TERM. Something that, at the moment, we have no choice but take it.

Edit I am no fan of the tariffs as I see them as a shift of tax burden from high to low.
Nothing you say is untrue, but context is everything - as is true long term planning and careful examination of all the nuances.

For example, the very same "trade warriors" we see today have, up until recently, told us the very best thing we can do with adversaries is to trade more with them! There is logic in that - but no logic in not trading because a country is defending themselves. One can out and out say and prove it - that China is vastly more peaceful (in this century) then the USA. Just because I was born here doesn't mean I naturally support our occupation and strong-arming of the entire world.

To the IP question......of course, Mexico does not have as large of a population and has a tech and defense industry VASTLY smaller than China or ours. It makes perfect sense they don't steal our IP because they don't have to - we are "one" with Mexico in that many of our plants are located there and vast areas of our country WERE Mexico, etc.
These things cannot be compared.

Why would I care about the S. China Sea? China, as an emerging power, has the full right to flex their muscles....or at least as many as we have! Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Phillipines, etc - many areas we have taken over and remain largely in control (or call the tune).

But take ALL of these nuances aside...because I don't believe they are the issues at hand. IP and trade balances can be adjusted over time - and should be. Nuclear weapons, whether Russian, French, British, Israel or otherwise....can be pointed somewhere in a few moments.

The real key here is something almost no one mentions....We need China more than China needs us. This is being proven as we speak. It's basic common sense. 1.2 Billion ambitious and hard working up and coming people consume and produce more than 320 million...many of who are busy watching "Mall Cop" while high.

Add to that the fact that most every nation on the planet is now looking toward China...instead of the USA...due largely to Trumpism (we are unreliable) and you have a movement that is impossible to avoid.

I'm not going to claim I am always right - closer to 90% in that realm. But it looks to me like Trump thinks he holds card that he does not. AND, the Chinese and rest of the world know it. So, if I am correct, only fools think this will turn out well due to these actions.

So, in summary, count me in for long term smart trade talks, negotiations, changes, etc. that are done by SMART people and represent the next couple decades worth of planning.

Count me OUT as one who imagines if you throw all the cards up in the air, they will somehow fall into a Royal Flush.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:57 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,583,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Uh, a tax cut from deficit IS SPENDING. Period.

How can we expect Trump and the GOP to have any spending discipline when folks like you approve of them spending more when it floats your way?

You are asking the right questions...except you need to look in the mirror while asking them!

Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM

45,313 posts, read 26,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh, a tax cut from deficit IS SPENDING. Period.
What did they purchase with what they spent? Or what services did they get in return for what they spent?

What government department is responsible for the line item of "tax cut" on their balance sheet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies