Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 06:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

So? The director of Florida Immigration Coalition said they'd "welcome and support" them.

No word yet on what people in CO, AZ, NM, and CA think because, yup, they're being flown and bused there, too. Hopefully, in NIMBY Democrat enclaves.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:54 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Ilk. Hahaha!!! I'm a taxpayer and I have a say also. I'm all for helping Americans that need it too. Us lefties can't be accused of not supporting social issues. That would be you and your ilk. My money is where my mouth is. Thankfully, despite your irrational insistence that it IS an all or nothing proposition, it in fact is not.

I don't have great concern for illegal aliens. I try to have equal concern for all individuals. Legal asylum applicants, who continue to be the topic of this thread, are not illegal aliens. Why can't you people get that through your head? Might some of them be one day? Undoubtedly some I don't see into the future like I guess you do so I don't know a percentage, but regardless of that they aren't illegal now. No matter how you try to spin it. When they break the law they should face the consequences. Just like anyone else. But not before.
Where did I say it was "all or nothing"? I never said that so stop twisting my words.

You just twisted yourself into a pretzel trying to say that you refuse to put your money where your mouth is and sponsor several so-called asylum seekers.

If these people are so desperate for asylum, then why didn't they take up Mexico's offer of asylum along with jobs and schooling for their children? While some did take up Mexico's offer, far too many thumbed their noses at it. That alone says they aren't true asylum seekers.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 PM

152 posts, read 61,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...now they should be happy that it isn't going to happen. Believe it or not, people get over things like that. Back when all those unaccompanied minors showed up at the border, there were plans to dump a huge number of them at a long closed college in my state. People raised a stink and the plan was scratched. I don't know of anyone holding a grudge over that.

I think all these people need to be dumped in sanctuary jurisdictions. After all, those are the places that have said they will welcome illegals with open arms. FL, AFAIK is not a sanctuary state.
It isn't going to happen only because the administration eventually realized the idea wasn't exactly popular in Florida, a swing state. It's interesting that the Republican governor also opposed the plan, even if the target were the liberal cities of Florida.

Whatever happened to Trump's campaign promise of getting Mexico to pay for the wall? Is that not happening anymore? I see that as a much better solution than punishing states and cities (where even in the bluest of places Republicans can be found so they will be impacted as well, but perhaps their fellow Republicans don't care) and demanding that individual citizens take care of the illegals.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Where did I say conservatives aren't hiring illegals? Girl, I never said that. Both sides of the aisle are guilty of doing so. It was you who said it was the republicans hiring them. So, yes, my response to your long-winded post is relevant. So...carry on

Perhaps you should look into moving to a bright blue state No doubt you would be happier, no?
1. MA and RI are my residences....I maintain a cottage in Florida for the winter. I would never ever ever move there. It is a nightmare in every form.....in terms of the government, economy, environment, etc.

2. See if you can grasp the basics of the thread and OP again. THE WHOLE IDEA WAS THAT TRUMP WAS ACTING AS IF HE WOULD PUNISH DEMOCRATS by dumping immigrants into Florida.

So in this case, it's not "everyone does it", but asking why someone who does it personally....who is attached at the hip to the Governor and Government of Florida...would give Florida more of what the GOP here wants!

Friend, if you don't get the irony here there is nothing more I can say...except..."I'm going to punish you bad..... I am going to throw $500 in 20's at you! That will teach you"......

(is there anything strange about that statement? Am I punishing you?)

Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
It isn't going to happen only because the administration eventually realized the idea wasn't exactly popular in Florida, a swing state. It's interesting that the Republican governor also opposed the plan, even if the target were the liberal cities of Florida.
It would have been a really stupid idea even for Trumps standards, since there are 1.7 million Republicans and Independent voters in SE Florida.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:57 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
1. MA and RI are my residences....I maintain a cottage in Florida for the winter. I would never ever ever move there. It is a nightmare in every form.....in terms of the government, economy, environment, etc.

2. See if you can grasp the basics of the thread and OP again. THE WHOLE IDEA WAS THAT TRUMP WAS ACTING AS IF HE WOULD PUNISH DEMOCRATS by dumping immigrants into Florida.

So in this case, it's not "everyone does it", but asking why someone who does it personally....who is attached at the hip to the Governor and Government of Florida...would give Florida more of what the GOP here wants!

Friend, if you don't get the irony here there is nothing more I can say...except..."I'm going to punish you bad..... I am going to throw $500 in 20's at you! That will teach you"......

You live in Florida for the winter or have a house there but don't think you "live there" or own? Speaking of irony.... geezus. That's pure comedy. Illegal aliens are good because I don't have to live around them, but I use them....right?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:59 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post

Whatever happened to Trump's campaign promise of getting Mexico to pay for the wall? Is that not happening anymore? I see that as a much better solution than punishing states and cities (where even in the bluest of places Republicans can be found so they will be impacted as well, but perhaps their fellow Republicans don't care) and demanding that individual citizens take care of the illegals.
Oh geez, not this crap again! Trump never said Mexico would write a check for the wall as there are other ways to make them pay for it. Besides, since illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year why are you crying about a $25 billion wall? When the actual wall bill passed in 2006 it was to be the taxpayer to soley fund it. Were you crying back then as well? I doubt it!

It's the Democrats that don't care about any of this other wise they wouldn't have balked about the wall and refuse to change our asylum policies.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You live in Florida for the winter or have a house there but don't think you "live there" or own? Speaking of irony.... geezus. That's pure comedy. Illegal aliens are good because I don't have to live around them, but I use them....right?
Nope - I'm not a developer or farmer or realtor or landscaper nor do I run an eatery.

And, no, spending a few months in a place (where i stay close to home because Florida traffic is a nightmare) is not "living there" any more than me going to the Jersey shore every summer was "living there".

I do pay plenty of taxes and use almost no services so can claim to be a big time "maker" of the Florida economy.

Anyway, I'm a willing taxpayer, not an Angry one like you.

I do love hard working people....honest hard working people, so I am guilty as charged if I approve of hard working individuals of all types.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Initially I thought he might house them at Mar a Lago resort or other Trump properties, but no, they are simply dumping them to Florida with the expectation that FL tax payers will shoulder the cost. Trump never asked if Florida was ok with this, and not even the governor was told about the plan.

And no, Florida does not have sanctuary cities.

The last word is, they they will simply be released into the community since there are no facilities for them.

I think they should build a camp right next to Mar a Lago, and house them there.

Broward and Palm Beach counties bracing for planeloads of immigrants from crowded U.S. camps

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...5rm-story.html

The Trump administration is preparing to move hundreds of immigrants from overcrowded camps along the U.S. border to Broward and Palm Beach counties, local officials said Thursday.

Broward Mayor Mark Bogen and Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said they were told to expect two planeloads of immigrants each week, starting in about two weeks. The 270 weekly passengers — about 1,000 each month — would be split, with half going to Palm Beach County and half to Broward.

Local members of Congress, Florida’s two Republican senators and even Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said they didn’t know about it.

“The governor’s office was not informed of this decision,” his spokeswoman said in an email. “Florida counties do not have the resources to accommodate an influx of illegal immigrants.”

The federal government isn’t offering to help, he said.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...05328522522627

Looks like one of them is lying.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Get over it.

After all, FL won't be getting those illegals. No need to worry. Just move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies