Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 AM

29,435 posts, read 22,350,535 times

Advertisements

Sad but not anyone's fault but the child's family.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/migrant-c...023353959.html
Quote:
Advocates raised new alarms Thursday about the U.S. government's treatment of migrant families after a 2½-year-old Guatemalan child became the fourth minor known to have died after being detained by border agents since December.

"The death of a single child in custody of our government is a horrific tragedy," said Jess Morales Rocketto, chair of the advocacy group Families Belong Together. "Four in six months is a clear pattern of willful, callous disregard for children's lives."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,458,472 times
None of these children’s deaths have been the fault of the US. Anyone making such ridiculous claims is a liar. Drag your already-sick and malnourished kids on a journey of thousands of miles, and there will be collateral damage.

It sickens me to see adults absolve themselves of responsibility for anything in their lives, including the children they produce in great numbers.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 AM

20,101 posts, read 16,032,814 times
Quote:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection said the boy's mother told Border Patrol agents her son was ill on April 6, three days after they were apprehended near an international bridge in El Paso, Texas.

The agency said the child was taken to a hospital in Horizon City, Texas, that day, and transferred to Providence Children's Hospital in El Paso the next day.
Quote:
The boy died Tuesday after several weeks in the hospital, American and Guatemalan authorities said. Tekandi Paniagua, Guatemala's consul in Del Rio, Texas, said the boy had a high fever and difficulty breathing, and authorities took him to a children's hospital where he was diagnosed with pneumonia.
How in any reasonable person’s mind does this equate to “callous disregard for children’s lives” on the behalf the US government? Callous disregard on the behalf of the mother who drug your young child 1000+ miles in perilous conditions, yes, but not the US government.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM

4,610 posts, read 1,904,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How in any reasonable person’s mind does this equate to “callous disregard for children’s lives” on the behalf the US government? Callous disregard on the behalf of the mother, yes, but not the US government.
This, also several weeks in the hospital, how many hundreds of thousands of dollars which no one will ever pay. Yep we are such a heartless Nation.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,837,966 times
Look -- I think Trump's policy of separating parents from kids as a deterrent to seeking asylum here is cruel but claiming the government is negligent for these deaths -- I don't know enough about each of the illnesses -- but children die in the USA under good doctor care all the time. This deflects from the real concerns.

I know folks think the parents are careless for putting the kids' in this kind of environment but time after time these parents have been interviewed and say that the risk is worth it. That their lives back in Guatemala or wherever they called home are so tragic that this journey and gamble at a better life is better than staying in their home country.

There is a humanitarian crises. Does it mean the USA has to take all these people in? Does it mean we have to give them handouts? I don't think so but I think there is a more humane, balanced approach that could be used.

Landscape companies here in the Low Country are getting temporary visas for workers to do jobs because as the jobs added in the USA stays positive for almost 9 years -- they are fewer folks available to do the work.

Why can't we be more thoughtful. There are farms that need workers, there are resorts, landscape companies, etc......and some of these people may be skilled workers...we don't know.

But trying to make it all Trump's fault that children arrive at the border in need of medical care and they die even after getting some....meh -- I don't know.

And i'm critical of Trump and this administration.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,568,308 times
Quote:
I think Trump's policy of separating parents from kids as a deterrent to seeking asylum here is cruel
Being kinda dishonest there dontcha think? only "asylum seekers"?

Old 05-17-2019, 11:25 AM

15,861 posts, read 6,663,763 times
All loss of life is terrible.

If illegal Border crossers are willing to put their children's lives at risk what does it tell you ?

If parents sue the United States for their child's death before entering the United States
what do you think they will do once they are in the United States?

Do the right thing. Come into this Great Country the lawful way.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:58 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,421,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There are no words…..

Why does this child's death have to be anyones fault? The child was ill.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Being kinda dishonest there dontcha think? only "asylum seekers"?
I didn't say only asylum seekers -- you chose to add a word to my statement.

Trump implemented the separation of children from their parents of all those at the border -- including asylum seekers. I never implied it was just the asylum seekers.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,307,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

https://www.yahoo.com/news/migrant-c...023353959.html
Agreed. Have the parents been charged with abuse, neglect or murder? More importantly-have they been hit with a civil suit to cover the cost of treatment at the hospital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies