Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I doubt any of you were young enough to remember what it was like pre Roe vs. Wade. Contrary to what many of you may think, abortions still happened before RvW. My grandfather was a family practitioner, a very religious Catholic person as well, and you know that Catholics are very pro-life. However, in the course of being a doctor, a lot of women would come stumbling in, bleeding profusely from under their legs. They had gone to a "back alley doctor" who had used coat hangers to scrape out the baby. Of course the baby was always dead, but my grandpa said that 90% of the women would die as well. So when RvW passed, he said it was the "lesser of two evils". Even though he was Catholic and pro-life, he knew that you'd actually save more lives with safe abortions than with unsafe ones, which is what was happening.

This is what it would go back to. You can ban something, but if someone wants to do it, there will be an underground market, and it will not be in a sterile clean abortion clinic. It will be on the back streets performed by a nefarious "doctor" with no training and who's just out to make some easy money.

So, you pro-lifers, is this what you want it to go back to? This is what pre RvW was like and this is what it would return to. Just like weed, alcohol, just because you ban it, doesn't mean it goes away, it just goes underground. And if you think an abortion doctor educated at Stanford is bad, wait until you meet a back street abortion doctor run by the Mexican mafia. I imagine they'll be setting up shop in your state soon.
Please, 90% of women who had illegal abortions did not die. The things people stoop to when debating this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I'm not in favor of these restrictive abortion laws, but Austin itself (as the capital of a state under full Republican control) could very well be a location where similar legislation is passed in the future. Alabama is going the furthest but many other states are moving in the same direction, and deciding where to draw the line on boycotts is arbitrary and does nothing to help the female population in that state or others.
The GOP politicians in Texas are scared of passing legislation after Democrats gained 2 House seats and almost beat Senator Ted Cruz. In the state legislature the GOP lost a lot and every GOP judge in Houston was swept out in favor of Democrats.

They know they can't alienate moderate voters or they will lose even more ground. They even lost some of the gerrymandered districts, ironically those districts have been gradually changing and those districts always favored GOP by a slim margin so it was easier to flip those districts. The Dem districts were always large city districts that would always be Dem anyway. So they got a taste of their own medicine.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:49 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Please, 90% of women who had illegal abortions did not die. The things people stoop to when debating this issue.
Pedantic. You missed the forest for the trees.

What figure do you want to settle on? 85%? 50%? Heck even 20%? You know the death rate is <1% in an abortion clinic for a mother?

Does that change anything about what I said in the sense of back alley abortions? Banning abortions is the same as banning alcohol, we know how that turned out. It goes underground.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:42 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I live in suburbs of Austin. The city council is a JOKE! The homeless here is exploding and they pass stupid left winged laws all the time. Its a mini-California in Texas. im just waiting to cash out my home in a few years.
How would it be different if the city council passed Right-winged laws when addressing homelessness?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:07 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
I'm not sure that the opinions of Austin, Texas figure all that much in Alabama politics.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:09 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
How does a city boycott a state?

Do they divvy up ... interstate roads?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Pedantic. You missed the forest for the trees.

What figure do you want to settle on? 85%? 50%? Heck even 20%? You know the death rate is <1% in an abortion clinic for a mother?

Does that change anything about what I said in the sense of back alley abortions? Banning abortions is the same as banning alcohol, we know how that turned out. It goes underground.
It's been proved that the numbers of deaths stayed the same after it was legalized and that the most vocal of pro abortion movement ADMITTED they made up or widely inflated -- ahem LIED -- the numbers of how many women died to invigorate the movement.

Back alley meant women entered the door through the 'back alley' so they wouldn't be seen.

Stuns me how people do not understand the basic history of the things they champion.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:15 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
I'm sure Georgia is bummed. Austin is full of freaks and weirdos; their "ban" is only a statement by the liberal politicians, not the entire city.

There have been many entertainers who have "boycotted" Georgia- Georgia didn't care. Their songs and concerts just don't sell as much.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Good and more city councils should do the same. The right always trumpets the economic boycotts until u is used against them...

Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 PM

668 posts, read 470,922 times
Quote:
I doubt any of you were young enough to remember what it was like pre Roe vs. Wade. Contrary to what many of you may think, abortions still happened before RvW. My grandfather was a family practitioner, a very religious Catholic person as well, and you know that Catholics are very pro-life. However, in the course of being a doctor, a lot of women would come stumbling in, bleeding profusely from under their legs. They had gone to a "back alley doctor" who had used coat hangers to scrape out the baby. Of course the baby was always dead, but my grandpa said that 90% of the women would die as well. So when RvW passed, he said it was the "lesser of two evils". Even though he was Catholic and pro-life, he knew that you'd actually save more lives with safe abortions than with unsafe ones, which is what was happening.

This is what it would go back to. You can ban something, but if someone wants to do it, there will be an underground market, and it will not be in a sterile clean abortion clinic. It will be on the back streets performed by a nefarious "doctor" with no training and who's just out to make some easy money.

So, you pro-lifers, is this what you want it to go back to? This is what pre RvW was like and this is what it would return to. Just like weed, alcohol, just because you ban it, doesn't mean it goes away, it just goes underground. And if you think an abortion doctor educated at Stanford is bad, wait until you meet a back street abortion doctor run by the Mexican mafia. I imagine they'll be setting up shop in your state soon.

The absolute truth. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies