Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,678,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
To choose what?
What to do with your body

Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,696,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You can't be partially dead. There is no middle ground. You're alive or you're dead. You're born or you're killed. And they are extremes.

Halleluiah!!! You get it! Embryos and fetuses aren't alive. They aren't babies. Babies are born human life. Babies are protected under the law as are all other human lives.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,898,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The definition of life versus death has been debated by philosophers and various cultures for centuries, but, medically speaking, if the heart stops beating, there is immediate physical death (excluding artificially generated heart beat). This is an irrefutable observation across all mammals.
Everything has been debated for centuries and I don't need a philosopher or other culture to tell me that an abortion?

Kills a baby. That the woman is no longer pregnant. She doesn't give birth and is no longer a mother.

Abortion kills. Anyone who continues to debate that fact? Doesn't understand what an abortion is.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:26 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,920,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
The heart is just a muscle that circulates blood, replace it with a machine that does the same thing and you still have life.

The brain is the organ you were looking for. Consciousness is what separates us from the other animal species and the most logically consistent criteria for personhood.

Heartbeat as a measure of personhood is asinine and emotionally rather than logically derived.
Natural heart beat is biology, not emotion.
The breathing center of the brain is what matters, not the entire brain. People with severely damaged brains walk among us, but when the heart stops, they drop dead.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,820,986 times
Quote:
Natural heart beat is biology, not emotion.
The breathing center of the brain is what matters, not the entire brain. People with severely damaged brains walk among us, but when the heart stops, they drop dead.
Nope, there are people who do not even have a heart, rather a mechanical replacement and they are alive and kicking - that alone is enough to debunk the irrational and emotionally derived notion that the heart defines our personhood. BTW "life" is irrelevant to the debate - only personhood under the law and when it is/is not granted. The whole "what is life/non life" rabbit hole is completely irrelevant to the topic and is merely trying to change the framing of the issue. Legal personhood is the actual question and it is not the same as biological definitions of life.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Everything has been debated for centuries and I don't need a philosopher or other culture to tell me that an abortion?

Kills a baby. That the woman is no longer pregnant. She doesn't give birth and is no longer a mother.

Abortion kills. Anyone who continues to debate that fact? Doesn't understand what an abortion is.
It sounds like you are on one of the extreme options: all or nothing. I understand that religion has it's own magical definition of life - something about a soul. Medicine relies on more tangible criteria, and that is what is necessary in a world where religious opinions are not only diverse, but contradictory.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you are on one of the extreme options: all or nothing. I understand that religion has it's own magical definition of life - something about a soul. Medicine relies on more tangible criteria, and that is what is necessary in a world where religious opinions are not only diverse, but contradictory.
Oh, I didn't realize you were religious. Not sure why that's relevant, though. /shrug/

Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Nope, there are people who do not even have a heart, rather a mechanical replacement and they are alive and kicking - that alone is enough to debunk the irrational and emotionally derived notion that the heart defines our personhood. BTW "life" is irrelevant to the debate - only personhood under the law and when it is/is not granted.
That would explain why I mention "Natural" heart beat and exclude artificial heartbeat. In the context of the discussion, there is no such thing as an artificial heartbeat in a fetus. Furthermore, prior to the last century's inventions to artificially stimulate the heart, we have centuries of a clear cut observable definition of life versus death. The body can be subjected to many things and remain alive except the termination of the natural heartbeat. That defines death.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize you were religious. Not sure why that's relevant, though. /shrug/
That's funny. The only argument for life beginning at conception is religious, i.e.: the soul.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
That's funny. The only argument for life beginning at conception is religious, i.e.: the soul.
Well, I'm prolife and not religious at all.

Good to know you think abortion is funny though. Explains a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies