Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Natural heart beat is biology, not emotion.
The breathing center of the brain is what matters, not the entire brain. People with severely damaged brains walk among us, but when the heart stops, they drop dead.
You are overstating. People can retain their consciousness for seconds to minutes after their heart stops. And they can be brought back from a stopped heart, sometimes minutes to even hours after what you would call "immediate death". If it isn't permanent it isn't really dead, hence terms like brain death, clinical death, etc.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the error rate...is less than 1%

a woman can be on the pill, and make the man wear a condom...zero error rate

a woman can have her tubes tied, and a man have a vasectomy ... zero error rate

I am not against abortion..... I am against it being paid for with taxpayer monies

its your body, its your health, its your choice.....its your bill, don't expect others to pay for your choices
My sister was born after my fathers vasectomy and my stepmothers tubal ligation.

The above is not accurate.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
the error rate...is less than 1%

a woman can be on the pill, and make the man wear a condom...zero error rate

a woman can have her tubes tied, and a man have a vasectomy ... zero error rate

I am not against abortion..... I am against it being paid for with taxpayer monies

its your body, its your health, its your choice.....its your bill, don't expect others to pay for your choices

That error rate is the "perfect usage" error rate. Typical error rate, IIRC, is about 7% for BCP. It's easy to forget a pill, or take antibiotics without realizing that they reduce efficacy of any hormonal birth control method. And some women's bodies require taking the pill at precisely the same time every day; being off by an hour is enough to leave them vulnerable.

Permanent sterilization methods do work better (but they still have error rates), but not everyone who doesn't want to get pregnant NOW wants to be childfree forever.

Regarding taxpayer money - see Hyde Amendment, circa 1977, I believe. No federal funds may be used for abortion. Some states have chosen to cover abortions under Medicaid, but I am not sure which states, or what their limitations might be.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:24 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
If there is a living person who has no natural heart beat, I would like to read more about it. What is that person's name?
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-top...tificial-heart

Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It's not "misunderstanding," it's lying. She puts her own words in other poster's mouths and then she proceeds to knock down the strawman she just created. If you read her posts, she does this continually. And with a whole lot of arrogance and name-calling.

I have read these things also, but am trying to give her a chance to be reasonable in her response. We shall see if she takes that opportunity, or doubles down on the vitriol and disinformation campaign.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
the heart cant beat with out the brain to control it...

the brain is the first organ to be formed as it controls nearly everything...and it feels
That isn't true. The brain feels nothing, it interprets signals from the neurons, but you can actually open someone's skull and touch their brain and the brain will feel nothing.

Pain is the brains interpretation of signals from sensory neurons. While those typically form, and connect to the brain around 7 weeks, there is no laminar structure meaning even if signals are coming through they cannot be processed by the brain due to a lack of thalmus projections into the cortex. That would occur closer to 22 weeks.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That error rate is the "perfect usage" error rate. Typical error rate, IIRC, is about 7% for BCP. It's easy to forget a pill, or take antibiotics without realizing that they reduce efficacy of any hormonal birth control method. And some women's bodies require taking the pill at precisely the same time every day; being off by an hour is enough to leave them vulnerable.

Permanent sterilization methods do work better (but they still have error rates), but not everyone who doesn't want to get pregnant NOW wants to be childfree forever.

Regarding taxpayer money - see Hyde Amendment, circa 1977, I believe. No federal funds may be used for abortion. Some states have chosen to cover abortions under Medicaid, but I am not sure which states, or what their limitations might be.
1 PP does get federal funds...PP's main function is abortions
2. Medicaid is federal funding
3. Obamacare (ACA) is federal funding for most

fact PP budget is about 8 BILLION

fact there is NO REASON for the federal government to BUDGET 500 MILLIOn to PP (1/16th of their budget)

fact, women have many, many options ALL BETTER than pp..to include the health dept clinics, private doctors, clinics, and hospitals

fact ANY woman can get birth control for about 4-9 dollars per month through walgreens, cvs, walmart

fact that 500 million could be better used to re-build our crumbling infrastructure that liberals have neglected for the last 30 years

again I am not against abortions (except those after the 30th week, when that baby is most certainly viable)..... and I am all for ALL types of birth control being available

but if women (rightfully) DEMAND that it is their choice... then doesn't "its your body, its your health, its your choice.....its your bill, don't expect others to pay for your choices" make sense

Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It certainly is refutable.

A bear normally has a heartbeat of 84 beats per minute, faster than a beat per second. When hibernating they can go 5-6 seconds between beats. Based on your arbitrary definition, going from faster than a beat per second to 5 seconds would be "immediate death". Other vertebrates can go even longer between beats.

Death is more complex than your definition of "immediate death" states.
Nothing arbitrary. Google is available to everyone.
That's certainly interesting about hybernating bears, pretty sure it's not relevant.

Regarding human fetal heartbeat, this is what we know:

There is a regular normal fetal heartbeat at 45 days gestation. If the pulse is too low, the fetus is spontaneously aborted.

https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.1991.10.7.367
Attached Thumbnails
Why do they say we're pro-abortion?-embrionic-pulse-heartbeat.jpg  

Old 05-20-2019, 12:32 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
BTW no point arguing about biologically alive/not alive, biologically human/not human for the purposes of this debate.

Most people that try to shift the argument to those things are looking to cloud the actual issue which is what are the criteria for people to be considered a "person" under the law and how do their rights after being recognized as a "person" match up and coexist with the mothers existing natural right to bodily autonomy.

Quote:
There is a regular normal fetal heartbeat at 45 days gestation. If the pulse is too low, the fetus is spontaneously aborted.

https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.1991.10.7.367
Interesting tid-bit but irrelevant to the debate since a heartbeat is not relevant to the definition of legal personhood.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:33 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Are we still discussing non-Natural artificial heartbeat in a fetus, or a person who would be dead without a medical augmented heart beat?

How is that relevant to the one factor that defines whether a human is alive or dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies