Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 03:08 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is a pay discrepancy. It hasn't been disproven. That doesn't mean there are separate salary ranges for men and women. It means that across the board, over and over, women get paid less than men. For the same job.

I am thrilled for you that you don't know any woman who has been called selfish. You must live in an ivory tower.

These things are the NORM, perhaps you don't listen to what women tell you.

And I don't know what you are talking about regarding a horrible relationship. Nothing I've said suggests that I am in a horrible relationship, or that I don't demand that I be treated well.

I don't care what gender you are. You are looking at the world through a skewed perspective. It may suit you, but it's not the reality that most women in the United States enjoy.
You need to do some real research. The pay gap Does Not Exist.

The official Bureau of Labor Department statistics show that the median earnings of full-time female workers is 77 percent of the median earnings of full-time male workers. But that is very different than “77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men.”

HINT: You don't compare a housekeeper to a CEO and yell PAY GAP!!!!

I don't live in an ivory tower. And if you are continually treated like cr ap everywhere you go, you need to get yourself to a therapist and figure out why you allow yourself to be treated like a complete doormat.

Everything you say suggests that you and women you know are treated like absolute and utter trash by the men in your lives. From male doctors (incompetent and sexist) to male bosses ("pretty little head") to husbands (calling wife/moms selfish and derogatory names, CD blocked the insult you typed).

Those are your posts. That's the message you are sending.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:36 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I am pro-life outside of rape, operations to save the woman's life, and if a guy pulled the condom out during sex without telling her (I got that on a tweet about a woman sharing her abortion experience). I see a fetus as real person with human rights while also recognizing it is part of the woman's body. How other people feel about this is on them.
To me this is the crux of the problem....

You SAY how other people feel about the "rights" of a fetus is on them....but now in places like Alabama this is no longer the case...

How YOU feel about fetuses is now how everyone MUST feel about fetuses.....

Don't believe in abortion??? Fine....no one will ever force you to have one.

But why must a women who wants to make the choice for herself follow the whims of others who have effectively made that choice for her???

I personally do not believe a fetus is "human"....it is unable under any circumstances to survive outside the womb at 20 weeks or less....it is a part of the mother. I think women should have autonomy over their own bodies without government interference.

Once again the will of a minority is being imposed on the majority in this country who do not believe Roe v Wade should be overturned.

There are so many issues around this debate that Pro Lifers like to sweep under the rug when they try to simplify this complex moral issue....

Is it really "better" to bring an unwanted child into the world??

Who is going to pay to raise and educate this child??

What IS the responsibility of the MAN in this equation where abortion is no longer an option???

Where is the support system for mothers to be??? The Right pushes so hard to deny abortions and is also the party that does away with all support systems and safety nets for these children and mothers....the irony is real.

I understand that they are many women who are passionately against abortion but the truth is this is an issue that is driven by Conservative White Males.... in the case of Alabama legislators, many of whom would fail a 5th grade sex ed class...

It has been said that if "Men could get pregnant there would be no abortion debate in this country".

I tend to believe this.....

I also believe as a male, men should have little say in the decisions regarding a women's body

Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's only vague if you believe that a woman, after being pregnant for seven, eight, or nine months, wakes up and says, hey, I don't want this baby. I know, I could give it up for abortion, but really, I don't want to wait. I've got $30,000 sitting around doing nothing, and even more if necessary, because I'm going to have to dedicate myself to finding a doctor who will perform an abortion this late in the pregnancy and kill the fetus, rather than just deliver it. Because that makes so much sense.
There's what a law allows and what people chose to do or are capable of doing. When a law allows abortion for a woman's health, it's allowing abortion for physical, financial, psychological, family, emotional reasons, any factors relevant to a woman's wellbeing. Not quite abortion on demand, but Legally very close. Women actually doing it for those non-physical reasons or finding doctors to perform them is distinct from what these laws allow.

Using 24 weeks rather than viability as the dividing line allows abortion on demand for pre-24 pregnancies. Though still at a low %, viability does occur at 22 or 23 weeks. Legally, that fetus can be terminated.

Last edited by jazzarama; 05-23-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 10:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And no person is required to use their body to keep another alive.
Actually, you are not required to use your body to start a life.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
it was the best decision I have ever made. Both for me, and for the baby I didn’t want, and wasn’t ready for, emotionally, psychologically and financially.”
We keep hearing this line from the type of women who likes to "shout her abortion".

I can understand it may have been the best thing for you, but just own that. It was about you.

Don't spin the line and pretend being killed was the best thing for the child. If deluding yourself is what it takes to make you feel better about the decision, then maybe it actually wasn't the best thing for you.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:27 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
We keep hearing this line from the type of women who likes to "shout her abortion".

I can understand it may have been the best thing for you, but just own that. It was about you.

Don't spin the line and pretend being killed was the best thing for the child. If deluding yourself is what it takes to make you feel better about the decision, then maybe it actually wasn't the best thing for you.
But try to look at it this way:
First of all, the aborted fetus was never intended (by the woman) to exist in the first place, it wasn't planned, the particular egg+sperm combination just happened to sneak past preventative measures and sneak past probability (since the VAST majority of eggs and sperms never become human beings.) So this "child" as you called it was never a part of the mother's plan, it was one of billions of potential lives that never became a part of humankind/personhood. We don't feel bad for all of those entities that don't get to live on this Earth. Unless you believe that a soul or something is imparted at the moment of conception, stopping an embryo from growing into a legal person is not much different than the egg never being fertilized in the first place. End result is identical.

This woman most likely has in mind a certain number of children that she DOES want to have, someday, when circumstances are better, perhaps when her education is complete, when she wouldn't have to rely on public assistance, when she is married, when she could be excited for and feel love for a baby as it deserves. Those are all good things.

If the woman continued the first pregnancy, yes, that "child" (hypothetical, future child) would have existed. But in that case, some other future child, likely entering the world in better circumstances (in terms of being planned and wanted) would never get to exist. Every woman is going to have a finite, and very small, number of children. Beyond that number, none of her eggs (future humans) are going to beat the odds and win out over impediments of BC, Mother Nature, or abortion.

In the big picture, it seems that if she is going to have in her lifetime, say, only two children, it is best for her to have those two children when they have the best chance at being loved, wanted, and provided for.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
But try to look at it this way:
First of all, the aborted fetus was never intended (by the woman) to exist in the first place, it wasn't planned, the particular egg+sperm combination just happened to sneak past preventative measures and sneak past probability (since the VAST majority of eggs and sperms never become human beings.) So this "child" as you called it was never a part of the mother's plan, it was one of billions of potential lives that never became a part of humankind/personhood. We don't feel bad for all of those entities that don't get to live on this Earth. Unless you believe that a soul or something is imparted at the moment of conception, stopping an embryo from growing into a legal person is not much different than the egg never being fertilized in the first place. End result is identical.

This woman most likely has in mind a certain number of children that she DOES want to have, someday, when circumstances are better, perhaps when her education is complete, when she wouldn't have to rely on public assistance, when she is married, when she could be excited for and feel love for a baby as it deserves. Those are all good things.

If the woman continued the first pregnancy, yes, that "child" (hypothetical, future child) would have existed. But in that case, some other future child, likely entering the world in better circumstances (in terms of being planned and wanted) would never get to exist. Every woman is going to have a finite, and very small, number of children. Beyond that number, none of her eggs (future humans) are going to beat the odds and win out over impediments of BC, Mother Nature, or abortion.

In the big picture, it seems that if she is going to have in her lifetime, say, only two children, it is best for her to have those two children when they have the best chance at being loved, wanted, and provided for.
Right.

She's choosing which of her children she gets to kill.

All of the pseudo semantics, rationalizations, justifications, reasoning, excuses, rationale, circumstance, situation .... the baby is dead. Every time. Doesn't matter why the mom decided to do it. The baby is still dead. Every. single. time.

Last edited by newtovenice; 05-24-2019 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Right.

Trying to understand your viewpoint....
Did it become a "child" as soon as various sperm surrounded and attempted to penetrate the egg?
Or the moment one sperm initially began to penetrate the outer layer of the egg?
Or when the sperm reached the plasma of the egg and its head broke off?
Or when the first cell division occured?
Or when the blastocyst implanted into the uterine wall?
When a heartbeat is detected?
Some other defining moment?
Was there, in your mind, an exact nanosecond that it "became a child"?

Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Right.

All of the pseudo semantics, rationalizations, justifications, reasoning, excuses, rationale, circumstance, situation .... the baby is dead. Every time. Doesn't matter why the mom decided to do it. The baby is still dead. Every. single. time.
Whatever the circumstances, it’s her choice. It should be since it impacts her and her family. It impacts you not at all.

Her body, her choice.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Trying to understand your viewpoint....
Did it become a "child" as soon as various sperm surrounded and attempted to penetrate the egg?
Or the moment one sperm initially began to penetrate the outer layer of the egg?
Or when the sperm reached the plasma of the egg and its head broke off?
Or when the first cell division occured?
Or when the blastocyst implanted into the uterine wall?
When a heartbeat is detected?
Some other defining moment?
Was there, in your mind, an exact nanosecond that it "became a child"?
Not sure why this continues to be a question. Conception. Unique individual, unique DNA. It gets asked eighty bazillion times by eighty bazillion posters, like a different answer will be given if asked enough?

Again: It is wrong to kill someone just because you feel like it. Proabortioners will disagree and create eighty baxzillion scenarios to justify the killing.

You'll notice, I don't have to provide eighty billion circumstances to "rationalize" my thoughts. It's basic moral code: No one should kill anyone else just because they *FEEL* like it.

And to add of course because these are always, always always always thrown in as gotcha distractors: I'm not a man, not a republican, didn't vote for trump and am not religious/do not belong to any church of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies