Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
No, it's not hype at all. Teenagers and adults are dying from opioid use. They start on painkillers and then when the addiction kicks in (some people are wired for it for than others), they turn to street drugs, including heroin. It's beyond a crying shame. When I grew up, the drugs most prevalent were alcohol and pot, not as deadly as now. You seldom heard about heroin, cocaine (never) or narcotics. People smoked hash once in a while, too.
Heroin was big in the 60s and 70s too, and it was mainly suburban white kids back then too, heroin was CHEAP back in those days though, nowhere close to how expensive it is today (more than gold)!!

I saw all of this firsthand, I started using painkillers and then heroin, I can say things were definitely MUCH safer when addicts were using painkillers, obtained from their doctor or pill mills, they were taking pills made in a lab, by a pharmaceutical company....they KNEW what they were taking in other words.

When you buy drugs on the street, its a cr*pshoot as to whats actually in the drugs!! Thats why full legalization and regulation are the only effective solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
In 2017 more people died of overdoses than the worst year ever for AIDS deaths, the worst year ever for car accident fatalities, the worst year ever for homicides, the worst year ever for suicides, and more than every American serviceman killed in the entirety of the Vietnam War. So, yes, it is worse now.
FAR more people die from tobacco use each year, than from drug or opioid overdoses.

Nicotine and some of the other substances they put into tobacco products are drugs...which means they are within the DEAs jurisdiction...but notice what drugs they tend to focus on instead? (opioids)!!!

Old 05-19-2019, 10:32 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
FAR more people die from tobacco use each year, than from drug or opioid overdoses.

Nicotine and some of the other substances they put into tobacco products are drugs...which means they are within the DEAs jurisdiction...but notice what drugs they tend to focus on instead? (opioids)!!!
Tobacco is not the topic of this thread.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Tobacco is not the topic of this thread.
I realize that, but Im mentioning it, to prove that all this 'concern' about opioid drugs is 100% fake.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

True.

And far more die of alcohol related conditions.

And even more from consuming more calories than expended.

It's the suddenness of OD and the relative youth of the deceased that gets more attention.

The masses blame throw and demand government " do something" about the opiate / opioid epidemic.

Despite the known risks, thousands begin their recreational journey into opiates/ opioids every day.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:44 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:

As was said earlier, it's the difference between dying slowly over decades versus being killed with one use potentially. And nothing touches the addictiveness of opioids.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:47 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
True.

And far more die of alcohol related conditions.

And even more from consuming more calories than expended.

It's the suddenness of OD and the relative youth of the deceased that gets more attention.

The masses blame throw and demand government " do something" about the opiate / opioid epidemic.

Despite the known risks, thousands begin their recreational journey into opiates/ opioids every day.
Many more get addicted due to medication off of a car accident. I've had students who've said they were given a month's worth of Oxycontin for wisdom teeth extraction.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:55 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I think that the issue gets heightened attention when people are overdosing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...58371206560557

Drug overdoes in the US have more than doubled since 2000.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Many more get addicted due to medication off of a car accident. I've had students who've said they were given a month's worth of Oxycontin for wisdom teeth extraction.
So what? Shouldnt that decision be between the doctor and patient? Would you really like some govt law enforcement agency having a say in what kind of treatment you receive?!

Especially when that govt LE agency is colluding with the major drug cartels?! They have an agenda, so of course they are going to 'demonize' opioid prescription meds, they are cutting the cartel supplied drugs out of the equation and profits.

Besides those 2 things, there is a thing called 'patient privacy' in regards to healthcare, our privacy, when it comes to what meds we take, our treatment, diagnosis, test results, etc are PRIVATE, between doctor and patient, I never authorized DEA or any other law enforcement agency to have access to this data!

Old 05-19-2019, 11:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
No, it's not hype at all. Teenagers and adults are dying from opioid use. They start on painkillers and then when the addiction kicks in (some people are wired for it for than others), they turn to street drugs, including heroin. It's beyond a crying shame. When I grew up, the drugs most prevalent were alcohol and pot, not as deadly as now. You seldom heard about heroin, cocaine (never) or narcotics. People smoked hash once in a while, too.
I knew many in high school in the 70's who dabbled in Heroin all were recreational polysubstance abusers before hand.

Heroin was substantially less pure back then, cut with benign substances. Lacing with Cocaine, fentanyl and similar analogues was not a thing.

It took longer to become addicted and was relatively easier to kick than what's out there, today.

Nonetheless, most of those who I knew back then, died in their 20's, overdose, suicide and other health issues related to self neglect and street life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies