Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM

72,845 posts, read 62,260,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I don't do the identity politics thing, so I take a broader approach: what is good for Americans? By doing so, black people will also gain, although not through a program directed specifically toward them alone.

I've proposed this before, but here goes: I think the top 5% of each graduating HS class should get a free ride to the state university, with the caveat being that tuition will continue to be paid as long as a 3.0 is maintained. This will have a way of helping out those in poorer areas, including those cities which are largely black and impoverished, like Detroit or Baltimore.

Now, don't you think that would help black people, particularly those born into poverty and relegated to inferior schools?
You do to a certain extent. You do talk about Israel and issues in the Jewish population. And I get that. There are things to be concerned about. As a Black man, there are issues I have to deal with.

This is the thing. What has been good for most Americans has not helped Black people as a whole. Black Americans, relative to other groups, have a distinction of being the most looked down on group in the USA. The way Black Americans got here is different from anyone else, and that legacy is still around to a certain extent.

A free university education would not hurt at all. I'm all for it. I do have to mention this. You have to reform the entire education system. Black kids in inner city schools need to get out of those schools. I would propose this. Some military boarding schools need to established in those areas. They would do a better job educating students than the public schools have. And if many of those single parents are failing to raise their kids properly,get the kids away from there. The kids need to be put in an environment where there is better discipline, better education, better care. It would keep kids out of trouble, it would prepare kids for the world out there.

There is still one problem that many Blacks deal with, that even a good education doesn't always solve: Job discrimination. Getting Black kids from the inner city into a better education isn't as hard as it seems. Getting Black people into college isn't as hard as it seems. But dealing with job discrimination is still an issue. That is one major issue that is going to affect employment/unemployment for Black Americans, especially men. Now, I get that a Black person with a college degree is more likely to get a good job than a Black person that doesn't have one. This still doesn't negate job discrimination issues. Blacks have historically been last hired, first fired. That is still an issue today. How will the government solve that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,298,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I have a novelty idea, why not just focus on the American people in general, regardless of race or social class. Try being president of all the people for a change, and not just your base, and saying things and acting in a way just to keep them happy.
Exactly. That memo needs to be sent to that guy currently occupying the White House.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. That memo needs to be sent to that guy currently occupying the White House.
To be honest, Donald Trump looks out for Donald Trump. He just says things that his supporter base want to hear.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:47 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,298,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To be honest, Donald Trump looks out for Donald Trump. He just says things that his supporter base want to hear.
Oh, we all know that. He's never really in his life thought too much about others.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, we all know that. He's never really in his life thought too much about others.
Pretty much. And many supporters likely know this. It isn't like Trump is fooling them. It is more about "Trump supporters vs the rest of the world". It is kind of like having that pedophile uncle. His brother or sister knows he is a pedophile, but will slap someone else for accusing him of being a pedophile. His brother and sister see it as "if you talk bad about him, you're talking bad about me".

Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,350,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Too much in trump's highest ever sales taxed United States.

Federal government does do sales tax.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,988,119 times
Quote:
If that's how it really is, then maybe more people should just shut up/quit complaining about Black people voting Democrat.
And maybe in return some blacks should just "shut up/quit" complaining what Republicans aren't doing anything for them. Just vote Dem and be done with it and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,350,975 times
Quote:

Interesting....considering liberal only think about how to get free stuff and want to redistribution American wealth to achieve that goal.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
And maybe in return some blacks should just "shut up/quit" complaining what Republicans aren't doing anything for them. Just vote Dem and be done with it and let the chips fall where they may.
That complaining about the GOP is done in response to people complaining about Black people and their voting patterns. Ever notice that the #1 time you hear many Black persons on CD complain about the GOP is when there are people starting threads about "Why do Blacks vote Democrat" or "Black people love Trump" or this thread.

And I have been asking this question over and over. Why so much obsession over who Blacks vote for?

Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Interesting....considering liberal only think about how to get free stuff and want to redistribution American wealth to achieve that goal.
Let me guess, I touched a nerve with what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies