Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 06:32 PM

72,835 posts, read 62,229,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Personally I think it's a tad bizarre that Gary Johnson has to go on record saying he would've signed the Civil Rights Act. & that would cause issue with other libertarians is why the ideology/quasi religion is sketchy to begin with.
Well, Gary Johnson's libertarian views have more to do with making marijuana legal, ending the death penalty, and a pathway to citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
These people did too, what's your point?

2 landmark SCOTUS cases:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katzenbach_v._McClung

This was the case involving the 'motel owner' mentioned above:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear..._United_States

What's your point?
It goes to show that it took force to put an end to thinks like Jim Crow segregation.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,883,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, Gary Johnson's libertarian views have more to do with making marijuana legal, ending the death penalty, and a pathway to citizenship.
John McAfee was the runner-up in 2016. Nuff said. Untrustworthy & often creepy.

A humorous however accurate assessment of the '24 types of libertarians':

Lefty Cartoons » Blog Archive » The 24 Types of Libertarian

Old 05-30-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It goes to show that it took force to put an end to thinks like Jim Crow segregation.
Agree & it also showcases that there is no reasonable rationale to oppose the Civil Rights Acts. Not then & not now.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, that's contrary to the Civil Rights Act and much of the spirit of the US Consititution.

Agree, that inconsistency is a symptom of the sickness. Here's the diagnosis:

Dr. King presented the following speech at the New York Civil War Centennial Commission’s Emancipation Proclamation Observance, New York City, September 12, 1962

Emancipation Proclamation Centennial Address

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.:

Quote:
...The Declaration of Independence proclaimed to a world, organized politically and spiritually around the concept of the inequality of man, that the dignity of human personality was inherent in man as a living being. The Emancipation Proclamation was the offspring of the Declaration of Independence. It was a constructive use of the force of law to uproot a social order which sought to separate liberty from a segment of humanity.

Our pride and progress could be unqualified if the story might end here. But history reveals that America has been a schizophrenic personality where these two documents are concerned. On the one hand she has proudly professed the basic principles inherent in both documents. On the other hand she has sadly practiced the antithesis of these principles. ...
https://www.nps.gov/anti/learn/histo...ure/mlk-ep.htm

Old 05-30-2019, 07:43 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,049,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Because the Democrats throw crumbs at them, and many prefer to cling to those crumbs. For some people, it's due to laziness; for others, it's a lack of self-confidence. They simply don't believe they can be successful on their own.
How would you know this? I’m black, and I don’t even know enough to make a broad statement like that and unlike you, I actually know some black folks.

You’re trying to talk as if you’re some authority on black folks. Your only interaction with us is on television. Trying to make some broad diagnosis based on extremely limited knowledge and interaction is lazy.

Quote:
I believe everyone should have the legal right to discriminate whoever they want, for whatever reason. That includes race, gender, sexual orientation, height, weight, color of the shoes, size of the hand... whatever.
No you don’t. That’s a fib. You’re only saying that because you know it’ll never happen, and that we’ve basically outlawed discrimination.

Are you saying that the Germans were right when they dropped some pretty draconian discrimination laws against Jews? That was legal.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:14 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,293,461 times
Quote:
What "crap" exactly did I write? Where did you see me insult or denigrate voters of color, or anyone for that matter?
Yes, what you wrote is crap, and a big pile of it.

1) Thinking it's OK to discriminate? That's why we have laws protecting folks against discrimination.

2) Putting up a tripe nonsensical comment about voter choices? You've pretty much insulted voters of color with that sort of mindless insinuation of their choices.

Puh-leez. Just stop. Have mercy on yourself getting carved up for your words.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:

1) Thinking it's OK to discriminate? That's why we have laws protecting folks against discrimination.

2) Putting up a tripe nonsensical comment about voter choices? You've pretty much insulted voters of color with that sort of mindless insinuation of their choices.

Unfortunately I don't think it will stop any time soon. They seek to justify their petty prejudices based on a self-proclaimed victimhood & predicated on the victimization of others. The ironies involved in this stance are apparently lost along with common decency.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Agree & it also showcases that there is no reasonable rationale to oppose the Civil Rights Acts. Not then & not now.
No, there is no rationale for opposing the Civil Rights Act. And for those persons who keep talking about "the GOP was the party of Civil Rights", well, that is one correlation. Yes, there were a higher percentage of Republicans who supported it than Democrats. However, the biggest predictor was GEOGRAPHY.

A higher percentage of Republicans supported it in 1964 because of a majority of Republicans in both the House and Senate were from northern states. But if you were to break it down by northern GOP vs northern Democrat, a higher percentage of northern Democrats supported it compared to northern Republicans.
Consider this. The former Union states (the north) were 78 strong in the Senate and 313 strong in the House. Compare this to 102 southerners in the House and 22 southerners represented in the Senate.

In the House:
161 northern Republicans
152 northern Democrats

11 southern Republicans
91 southern Democrats

Senate:
32 northern Republicans
46 northern Democrats

1 southern Republican
21 southern Democrats

95% of northern Democrats in the House voted for the bill. 9% of southern Democrats voted for the bill. 85% of northern Republicans voted for the bill. ZERO (0%) percent of southern Republicans in the House voted for the bill.

The Senate:
98% of northern Democrats voted for it.
5% of southern Democrats voted for it.

84% of northern Republicans voted for it.
0% of southern Republicans voted for it.

Most northern Republicans supported it. No Republican from the South supported the Civil Rights Act. And this was back in the early 1960s when the Democrats had the South. After the Civil Rights Act was passed, this is when Democratic power in the South started to decline for good (with some exceptions, Carter in 1976, Clinton in 1992, both were southerners).

Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Thank you. And that is why people like me are going to continue to support such laws. If I'm acting a fool in a place, yes, I understand turning me away. However, if the only reason I get refused service is because of my race or gender, then that is wrong and I won't support it. And if any member of the GOP wants Black votes, they better support that bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies