Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The problem is that conservatives don't want to help the poor people whether they are white or black. They don't believe in helping anybody but themselves.
Yet you can't escape the facts that conservatives donate more time and money to charity than liberals, even though liberals as a group have a higher average income.

It's interesting how this myth that conservatives don't care to help anyone perpetuates through liberal propaganda. If you don't believe that the government can do a task efficiently, you feel it shouldn't be done at all... how narrow of a viewpoint can one have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:02 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
From what I understand Blacks did start off in the Republican Party and this has been my reason for studying to find out the history of how, when, and why we changed parties.
I read a quote not too long ago in a text book. I can't find right now, but it was by a black journlist. It was written in the early thirties, and it said something to the effect of telling other blacks to go home and turn around their pictures of Lincoln because their debt to the Republican party had been payed in full, and they should now support Democrats and the New Deal.

I thought that was interesting, and relevent to this thread.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:10 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
That makes no sense at all.! Now that post was narrow minded at best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
When you talk to people it depends on what political issues you agree with. What I have seen is that conservatives tend to me more narrowed minded and not as open to others ( I am not saying all, just most that I have met), so a minority being narrowed minded towards others when they are a minority boggles my mind.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM

You got me all figured out..........NOT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
And here lays the reason for your getting "beatings" for being a conservative; it is your elitism, your "better than thou" attitude, that--and that alone--is what earns you the ire of black people. The problem is not your politics, it is your personality.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 PM

I never said I was part of a political party. I can still think as a conservative. I don't determine what I think based on whether or not old white men like me.

Quote:
I am a white liberal. Why any black would want to be a con is beyond me. That is kind of like joining the Klan isn't it? The conservatives only pretend to like blacks but in reality they don't like you. Not at all!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
You got me all figured out..........NOT!!
Yes, I do have you figured out. Thanks for pointing that out. The problem is that you don't know your own self, but this is the case for a lot of people so why should you be different.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
I never said I was part of a political party. I can still think as a conservative. I don't determine what I think based on whether or not old white men like me.
This is the only substantive comment you've posted in this thread. You are quite right, conservativism encompasses more than the Republican party, it also includes "right leaning" and centrist Democrats, which are the areas of the Democratic party that a lot of blacks are located.

Blacks don't really have a problem with conservative values, Republican values...are a different story.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 AM

7 posts, read 33,238 times
Quote:
The government should collect the taxes and spend it on programs to help the people. That is my view.
All the money in the world won't solve social problems, the high born out of wedlock births, curb the high high-school drop out and poverty rates, reduce crime, etc.

Look at the money thrown at Appalachia over the last decades. The poorest parts are still poor.

It's a cultural thing I believe and the change has to start with the people first.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
When I say conservative I don't mean being a memeber of any political party but moreso in our thinking about politics. I catch so much hell from other blacks. I mean I get called every name in the book If I reveal that I am conservative or if I disagree with the libral agenda.

Are there any black conservatives out there? Whats been you experiences with other blacks?
Please describe what makes you a black conservative and distinguish that from a Bush conservative or a Strom Thurmond conservative or a Newt Gingrich conservative. What are your beliefs?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM

408 posts, read 696,054 times
Quote:
That makes no sense at all.! Now that post was narrow minded at best!!
Excuse me I am not narrow minded, so read my post again and let it process and then give a response. What the gist is is that minorities need to be more open minded about issues, and conservatives are not open minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies