Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we be posturing for war with Iran?
Yes 1 3.33%
No 19 63.33%
Not at this time/need more information 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:23 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow users. With tensions building in the Middle East once again, I thought now might be a great time to start a discussion about war. Namely, a discussion about when you believe the time has come for our nation to go to war with another sovereign nation. Currently, the apparent target would be Iran if relations between our two countries continue to deteriorate. And personally, I am not interested in another war in the Middle East at this time. The Middle East has always been a very volatile region, and I just can not see how another armed conflict led by the United States of America in the region is going to help. Of course, I understand that we can not simply sit back and allow other countries to threaten our country and our values. And very few nations have been as vocal when sharing their hate/disdain for our society as Iran has. But I'm sorry, I just do not see Iran as a big enough threat to our nation to justify another invasion/war. At least not at this time, after reviewing the information currently available to the public about this situation.

However, with all that being said, I am just one man. Perhaps my thinking on the subject is flawed in some way. Or maybe there are some facts that have escaped my attention, that would sway me more towards conflict with Iran or some other potential threats in the future. I believe war should be waged as a last resort, against an enemy who has shown their intention/ability to aggressively seek the demise of our nation/allies way of life. That is where I stand on the question of when it is time to wage war. But I'm actually far more interested in what you fine people have to say on the subject. I look forward to reading your responses and the healthy debate to follow. Thank you all in advance.

Reads~

PS. I have included a fairly simple poll with the thread, so that at a glance I may be able to see where you guys are on the situation currently brewing over seas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 07:34 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
I see the GOP doing again what they did with Bush/Chaney. Starting a war to get a bad POTUS re-elected. Creating the problem, so he can fix it.

I have family in the guard over there. Trump will just throw him away.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:38 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I see the GOP doing again what they did with Bush/Chaney. Starting a war to get a bad POTUS re-elected. Creating the problem, so he can fix it.

I appreciate your response and opinion. However, I would honestly like an answer more geared toward my OP. This thread isn't about the president. This thread is about your opinions about when/if we should ever wage war with another country. There are plenty of threads to voice our praise/distaste for the president. This, however, wasn't meant to be another one.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:

More than one way to skin a cat.

If possible, I would prefer supporting an internal revolt to armed conflict.

I don't relish the prospect of war with Iran, but the fact is, if we do nothing, we will one day be forced into a war with Iran...they won't have it any other way.

So the question becomes, will we fight a nuclear war with Iran or a conventional war?

Waiting for the world's foremost terrorist state to "come around" while they are building a nuclear arsenal seems somewhat risky, but there are no easy answers.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

rubbish post.

as to the OP, there is a credible threat against american servicemen and women over there from a belligerent country known for following through on said threats. trump is using a measured response to prevent such an attack, or to have the assets in position to properly retaliate if the threat is carried out.

its called preparation. hopefully it will never be needed.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
rubbish post.

as to the OP, there is a credible threat against american servicemen and women over there from a belligerent country known for following through on said threats. trump is using a measured response to prevent such an attack, or to have the assets in position to properly retaliate if the threat is carried out.

its called preparation. hopefully it will never be needed.
So...if we put "American service people" ANYWHERE in the world and then say there is a threat to them, that's a reason to go to war...or even threaten war?

To my way of thinking that is Asking for War.

So you don't see any irony in something like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwWWmZwX0AA4vmV.jpg

Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Waiting for the world's foremost terrorist state to "come around" while they are building a nuclear arsenal seems somewhat risky, but there are no easy answers.
Ah, so Pakistan....that shield the taliban, is responsible for untold American deaths and supports terrorism all over the world...HAS NUKES and we gave them many billions in delivery equipment over the last decades.

But crickets.....NOW, Iran is the threat.

It really saddens me that people cannot see the basic arc of history. Hint - we are not the good guys any longer. There is absolutely no reason to fight a way with Iran...nukes or no nukes. Iran, and many smart Americans also(even in the Pentagon) want to be friends. Not "American kowtowing" friends, but friends never the less.

I'd rather invade Saudi Arabia and bring down that corrupt, murderous and fundie regime....while making friends with the decent people of Iran.

It doesn't have to be that anyone who wants to not follow our orders...automatically is the enemy.

I never thought I would still hear so much of this crap tossed out so lightly.....as if it is normal. I guess the Deep State has won....big time.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, so Pakistan....that shield the taliban, is responsible for untold American deaths and supports terrorism all over the world...HAS NUKES and we gave them many billions in delivery equipment over the last decades.

But crickets.....NOW, Iran is the threat.

It really saddens me that people cannot see the basic arc of history. Hint - we are not the good guys any longer. There is absolutely no reason to fight a way with Iran...nukes or no nukes. Iran, and many smart Americans also(even in the Pentagon) want to be friends. Not "American kowtowing" friends, but friends never the less.

I'd rather invade Saudi Arabia and bring down that corrupt, murderous and fundie regime....while making friends with the decent people of Iran.

It doesn't have to be that anyone who wants to not follow our orders...automatically is the enemy.

I never thought I would still hear so much of this crap tossed out so lightly.....as if it is normal. I guess the Deep State has won....big time.
I would rather that we simply mind our own business. I dont need us to be friends with Iran, which is virtually impossible anyway.

Let those in the region deal with Iran if they really feel the need and without our financial or military backing.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So...if we put "American service people" ANYWHERE in the world and then say there is a threat to them, that's a reason to go to war...or even threaten war?

To my way of thinking that is Asking for War.

So you don't see any irony in something like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwWWmZwX0AA4vmV.jpg

who is going to war? or even threatening war? trump is doing what any good president should be doing in similar circumstances, preparing to protect our people and our allies, by putting assets into place in case they are needed.

what would you do? sit back and let iran attack our people and our allies, and then apologize to iran for letting them attack our people? would you then appease them by sending them money and materials? would yo go crawling on your knees begging forgiveness from them for letting them be the aggressors? would you then promise to turn our country into a muslim paradise, force the american people to convert to islam?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
But, but.....Lockheed Martin, Ratheon, BAE Sytems, Northrop Gruman, General Dynamics et-al ….they all need routine feeding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies