Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 03:43 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,243,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Before you gun rights crowd try to make an angle ut of the poor, scared homeowner, consider he might not be the chiorboy you're making him out to be

But carry on with your "mah guns" rhetoric

Deputies: Father who fatally shot daughter after mistaking her for intruder faces drug charges
Odd comment considering the overwhelming majority of folks who might be construed as being pro-gun in this thread seem to be on the side of "he was an idjit and was negligent". Who was making the shooter out to be a "choirboy"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 03:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,934,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog;55225495[B
]Before you gun rights crowd try to make an angel out of the poor, scared,defefneless homeowner, consider he might not be the choirboy you're making him out to be[/b]

Deputies: Father who fatally shot daughter after mistaking her for intruder faces drug charges
Where do you get this from? This guy is an idiot and nobody is trying to defend him.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:04 PM

15,705 posts, read 9,468,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Odd comment considering the overwhelming majority of folks who might be construed as being pro-gun in this thread seem to be on the side of "he was an idjit and was negligent". Who was making the shooter out to be a "choirboy"?
There's always a select few who come to these stories seeking to defend their precious guns. We have seen it in this thread. Protect their guns bty questioning the daughter. Yeah, maybe the 23 year old woman "snuck out" and thereby deserved to die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Every time he thinks of his daughter he will pay the price for making this grievous error the rest of his life. His tragedy has nothing to do with me or anyone else who owns a firearm. Get off that soapbox because you look ridiculous standing up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Per the laws of my state, the shoot would meet the requirement of being under roof. Front and rear porches are considered living areas. It may or may not meet the requirement of identifying all residents of the house. Was this daughter living there or did she stop by in the middle of the night unannounced? Was this after curfew and she should have been home hours ago? Did she sneak out and was coming back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
the shooter was most probably in panic mode and therefore NOT in complete control of himself...AND i just LOVE hearing all the armchair gun people who were NOT in the situation lecture about responsible gun safety and such.
Hey Jude put it retty well --
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Let that sink in for a minute. We are not even allowed to question the mental capabilities of a gun owner. That is not allowed.
Some folks are so eager to keep their guns (no one in their right mind is calling for a total gun ban; we just want to make sure folks like the "dad" in the OP can't get them) that they side up to the wrong people in these stories. The man who shot his daughter is not the victim and it would appear he was protecting his drugs more than he was protecting himself.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Some folks are so eager to keep their guns (no one in their right mind is calling for a total gun ban; we just want to make sure folks like the "dad" in the OP can't get them)
Sorry Joe but we've had a lot of posters even on this forum say otherwise.

Regardless, this article cites a poll on the topic.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...o-ban-all-guns

Quote:
“Do you favor or oppose … [banning] the sale of all handguns, except those that are issued to law enforcement officers.”....... Forty-four percent said they would support such a ban, while a oh-so-slightly larger 46 percent said they would oppose it.
P.S. Dude protecting his illegal drugs shoots daughter and you're telling us he would have followed the law and not had a gun if it had been banned from him? How do you reach the conclusion that he'd obey that law but not the one about drugs.?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:09 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Before you gun rights crowd try to make an angel out of the poor, scared,defefneless homeowner, consider he might not be the choirboy you're making him out to be

It truly amazes me what a skewed view that anti firearms people have of the shooting community. The invective put out is always geared to portray us as ignorant backwoodsers who have never seen indoor plumbing. I said it on another thread recently that folks like you Joe could stand to actually get out and go to some shooting events.

Actually see and maybe even interact with the people there. You would find a clean, friendly, kind, educated and knowledgeable group. And not just about firearms. We are hardly this "gubint ain't gittin" mah guns" bunch you envision and portray. Those types are out there but are a very small minority.

That said I have my own mental picture of academic liberals. Skinny, physically incapable, stringy hair and John Lennon glasses with hands that have never seen a days work. So if I went to some lib/progg gathering of some sort what would I actually find?

Call this an attempt to break stereotypes and get real. We shooters are always being told we are unwilling to compromise and meet in the middle yet we are treated as if we cannot understand human speech. By the same rote we see folks like you as arrogant azzes who see a University degree as a license for a pompous attitude.

I can tell you with certainty your picture and portrayal of the shooting community is seriously erroneous. So what about our picture and portrayal of folks like you? Are we also in error? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Before you gun rights crowd try to make an angel out of the poor, scared,defefneless homeowner, consider he might not be the choirboy you're making him out to be

I’m betting he should not have legally possessed a firearm. More than likely he is a convicted felon.

If we can’t keep guns out of felons hands how are we going to effectively broaden the population of those we seek to keep unarmed?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:14 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,796,146 times
Quote:
There's always a select few who come to these stories seeking to defend their precious guns. We have seen it in this thread. Protect their guns bty questioning the daughter. Yeah, maybe the 23 year old woman "snuck out" and thereby deserved to die.

Why are you quoting my post? He will have to live with the fact he was an idiot and shot his daughter for the rest of his life. How is this defending him? Where did I question the daughter? You conveniently left out my post that says never shoot through a door. But whatever dude.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:17 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,243,601 times
Quote:

Hey Jude put it retty well --

Some folks are so eager to keep their guns (no one in their right mind is calling for a total gun ban; we just want to make sure folks like the "dad" in the OP can't get them) that they side up to the wrong people in these stories. The man who shot his daughter is not the victim and it would appear he was protecting his drugs more than he was protecting himself.
Well:

redwood66 comments that it's about the shooter, not the gun and never implies that the daughter had any fault.

robert_j speaks to the legalities and scenarios, wherein the shooter had legal standing to do what he did, by which he might have thought he was justified in shooting through a closed door

elvis44102 appears to be anti-gun (?) and while proffering a reason for the seemingly negligent act of shooting through a closed door without id'ing whose on the other side, never blames the daughter

heyjude514 the "not allowed" part really has more to do with the mental health side of things and how we as a society handle this tricky issue. Even pro gun folks have a reasonable point that there had better be some careful consideration for limiting the constitutional rights of folks who are deemed to have mental health issues and this goes way beyond just the 2nd. Like I've mentioned before, I personally know/have known several folks who have/had mental health issues and it can be a scary place from a legal/medical standpoint due to the legal fuzziness involved. It's not as cut and dried as some want to make it out to be.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:25 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,791,900 times
I could easily start 10 threads a day with just the stories that make the news about careless and negligent gun owners who hurt themselves and others, often children, by their behavior. There are many on here who still believe we shouldn't do anything to restrict ownership of any types of weapons.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:28 PM

19,784 posts, read 12,037,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Bingo!
Very well stated. These people ONLY care that they can keep fondling their guns, regardless of ANYTHING.
What a childish, knee jerk response. Most people here have blamed the shooter for the incident but you have your agenda so carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This man was so incompetent he didn't even have the presence of mind to call through the door first. He got spooked and he fired. But we must allow him, and all the other idiots who also lack discernment or the mental capacity to handle firearms responsibly--and there are many--to own as many guns as they want. We must not infringe on their right to be incompetent idiots and kill people.

You neatly sidestep that reality because you don't want to admit it's true.
This a hole was probably a drug dealer so it’s very unlikely the gun he used to kill his daughter was legally obtained but you have your agenda so carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies