Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Come on Trump! Can't you jump in and fix this?! Isn't this what you're known for? Eh, best to stay out - they might decide to lay off more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,337,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Not a good showing for the American makes, which with the exception of Volvo, make up the bottom of the list.

By that metric, Ford is the best of the worst.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 8 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Here in Europe Ford is also getting rarer and rarer on the roads. Just a few decades ago Ford Fiestas etc. were everywhere.
I think Ford might have focused too much on SUV's, which however are not sought-after abroad where streets are often tight, and gas and insurance for such cars expensive.
That's probably why our roads are full of compact cars, mostly French ones.

I also wonder how Ford's British factories will fare once the UK is out of the EU.
Fords British market is one of Ford's most succesful in Europe, and only 500 of the jobs being lost are in Britain as opposed to 5,000 in Germany. It wouldn't be in Fords interest to close British plants in such circumstances, and in terms of a no-deal Brexit you weould be looking at at least anther 100,000 job losses in Germany alone according to official reports and they would mainly be in the automotive and manufaturing sectors.

Also in a no deal Brexit situation, Ford would have a massive advantage of European countries in the UK Market, as there would be no import duty on their cars and they would be able to undercut all the European manufacturers with car plants outside of the UK.

Furthermore the Ford Dunton Technical Centre is a major automotive research and development facility located in Essex, rather than a manufacturing plant, and whilst Ford is planning to stop manufacturing automatic transmissions in Bordeaux from August, review its operations in Russia, it also has plans to combine the headquarters of Ford UK and Ford Credit at the site at Dunton, which looks like it will be actually expanding.

Ford to cut 7,000 jobs including more than 500 in UK | Business | The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-20-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Do they make Ford cars with the steering wheel on the right-hand side for the whole world in Britain?

I read that Ford's market share in Europe dropped from 11 to 6% within the past 10 years or so. Here in Portugal it is probably more like 2 or 3%. Much of it small delivery vehicles.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:48 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Just be warned, those are horribly, horribly misleading.

It's a survey on vehicles from model year 2016 about problems in the past 12 months.

The whole methodology is pretty jacked up as well.

If you REALLY want an accurate picture and are interested in a couple of different vehicles, go to Kelly Blue Book and find the price of a new one, then go see what a comparable one that is 4 years old is selling for. maybe check 7 years old etc. too. You'll see which ones are worth 80% of that price still...and others at 50%. I picked 4 years because watch the value of some of them seriously tank the minute they come off manufacturer warranty. (*cough* BMW)

I don't disagree with Toyota for example being high up the list but BMW for example being #8 is absolutely hillarious....as is having all the domestics, especially Ford way down at the bottom.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 8 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Do they make Ford cars with the steering wheel on the right-hand side for the whole world in Britain?

I read that Ford's market share in Europe dropped from 11 to 6% within the past 10 years or so. Here in Portugal it is probably more like 2 or 3%. Much of it small delivery vehicles.
It's now extremely unlikely that there will be a no deal Brexit, however in terms of Ford, they build engines and do a lot of research in the UK, so in a no dea situation could actually bring more manufcaturing jobs to the UK and undercut many of their rivals in terms of the British market.

Ford UK was always a strong brand, and they used to have lots of giant car plants back when car manuacturing was more Labour intensive, indeed the Ford Plant at Dagenham just east of London in Essex used to employ over 50,000 employees and that was just one plant. Today Ford employ around a relatvely small number and plants like Dagenham have all but closed.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 PM

Now that you mention it, I actually visited Dagenham decades ago, it was a depressing place, that much I remember...

At the end of the day, every car not built is a blessing for our planet.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just be warned, those are horribly, horribly misleading.

It's a survey on vehicles from model year 2016 about problems in the past 12 months.

The whole methodology is pretty jacked up as well.

If you REALLY want an accurate picture and are interested in a couple of different vehicles, go to Kelly Blue Book and find the price of a new one, then go see what a comparable one that is 4 years old is selling for. maybe check 7 years old etc. too. You'll see which ones are worth 80% of that price still...and others at 50%. I picked 4 years because watch the value of some of them seriously tank the minute they come off manufacturer warranty. (*cough* BMW)

I don't disagree with Toyota for example being high up the list but BMW for example being #8 is absolutely hillarious....as is having all the domestics, especially Ford way down at the bottom.
Are the BMW's made in the US? Here in Europe they have a very good reputation if I am not mistaken. Maybe they have different quality control...

Old 05-20-2019, 05:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i guess the auto boom of the twenty-teens is over.
The key word... Global. It is not more cost effective to export from here.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
There is a reason some people joke on Ford meaning "Fixed or repaired daily" or "Found on the road dead" (technically, FOTRD in that case).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies