Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
do you mean a jewish person can't be president because the country won't ever be ready? I hope you are wrong in such an assumption.
I am Jewish. I don't think I could take a campaign over tropes about "dual loyalty,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 PM

623 posts, read 233,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Nikki Haley in 2024... bank on it!
God I hope Trump supporters aren't dumb enough to support that neo con! I despise her. I will NEVER vote for her. Pence maybe her absolutely not.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good grief, we are still in 2019, and working on the 2020 elections, why are you even thinking about 2024? ...
It would be interesting to see if the movement has legs, or is Trump an aberration. Who will carry on the legacy? Who will finish the wall?

We know he won't live forever, and he is only allowed two full terms, so what will we do when he is gone?

Would, or could, Trump supporters get behind a Marco Rubio, for instance? ... if he got the Republican nomination?

There will be primaries, and a nominating process. The big money will be at work plying their old tricks. What will happen to the party?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Nah, not even close. Clinton was basically a free trader while Trump is a protectionist/statist.

wrong, trump IS a free trader as well, but he is using tariffs as a tool to force other countries to the trade talk table, and get them to open up their markets and stop cheating the US by going back on promises they make. china is a huge offender in that aspect, and always has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Why not think about 2024? Trump is going to be the 2020 candidate and has a certain appeal to his base that is unique. Is there somebody else out there that can duplicate what he has done in terms of maintaining the literal devotion of that base.

Haley is too normal to do that. Needs to be a white "alpha" male who can mine the righteous indignation from the right wing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
It would be interesting to see if the movement has legs, or is Trump an aberration. Who will carry on the legacy? Who will finish the wall?

We know he won't live forever, and he is only allowed two full terms, so what will we do when he is gone?

Would, or could, Trump supporters get behind a Marco Rubio, for instance? ... if he got the Republican nomination?

There will be primaries, and a nominating process. The big money will be at work plying their old tricks. What will happen to the party?

the problem with thinking about 2024 right now is that we have two elections between then and now. we have no idea what the mood of the populace will be in 2022 let alone 2024. so how can we even think about how might run for president in 2024 for the open seat, assuming trump wins in 2020?

we had an indea f who would compete to run against trump in 2020 as far back as 2017, once the democrats started to calm down a bit and start doing what they call thinking. but even then we had to wait until earlier this year before the democrat field was truly fleshed out and the potential nominees actually committed to making the run for the nomination.

so do you really think we will have any idea of who might run for the republican nomination in 2024? or even the democrat nomination in 2024?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Who will carry the Torch?

After Trump is no longer in office (let us assume for argument's sake 5-1/2 years), who will carry on in his place?

Is there a legitimate successor to the Trump legacy waiting in the wings?

Ted Cruz? Stephen Miller? Tom Cotton? ... is there anyone else more uniquely qualified? What will the Trump movement do for an encore?

What is the vision for the Trump movement in the coming decades? Who can be entrusted with the torch?
The torch ends with Trump

Old 05-20-2019, 08:48 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
We should look at the rest of the world and get an idea of which way things are going. Lots of trouble with immigration everywhere so we know we need to do something about immigration. Trump doesn't even want E-Verify. Yet he hollers about a wall. Don't know what he thinks really.

Every civilized country has health care for all--we need that too.

Gun control--we should loosen up and let the wild west states have their guns but just keep them out of the states that don't want guns. Other countries are tightening up their gun laws--New Zealand and one of the Scandinavian countries (I think) too. We need mental health checks and background checks before someone can buy a gun. Other than that, leave them alone and they'll probably get bored with the whole gun thing after a while anyway.

We need to do something about the mega corporations that own us and take all the money. We need to help the regular people.

We need to enforce women's rights but I think that will happen anyway. There are a lot of women who aren't going to put up with being treated like they're in Isis.

Other stuff, let it alone for a while. Stop the arguing and fighting. Stop with the racism but stop with the inequality on all sides. Make it equal for all. Nobody gets a break because of the color of their skin, not black, white, brown, no difference based on skin color. It just makes people mad at each other. We are Americans. Kick the illegals out except for the DACA people. But kick the rest out and let's get back together as Americans. So who can do that?????????????

Old 05-20-2019, 08:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Nikki Haley in 2024... bank on it!
Boy wouldn't that be a completely different Presidency. I could tolerate that one!

Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
whatever trump is or isnt..he seems to have a tremendous populist ability to connect to people..like it or not.....

there is enough divisiveness within the right that i think NOBODY else could do whatever it is he does as well

Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
God I hope Trump supporters aren't dumb enough to support that neo con! I despise her. I will NEVER vote for her. Pence maybe her absolutely not.

If Haley were vice-president right now, Trump would be impeached immediately. The reason Pence was put on the ticket, was as insurance for Trump against impeachment.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Im sure they love their version of America where DNC and Hillary donators are put in charge of investigating Donald Trump, and their favorite President is found to be secretly meeting with the most Racist black man in the country.
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies