Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:24 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, it's easier to pitch a tent and not worry about paying rent and lay around doing nothing other than go beg for money for an hour or so.
Read the post I was responding to. My response sailed way over your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Drugs

Skyrocketing rents (partially caused by illegal immigration)
Somewhere along the line, law enforcement didnt get the memo...drug laws were never intended to be used against the white folk!!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:55 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, it is simple housing market regardless who it is; if there is more of a demand and less of a supply, the prices will rise.

Are you saying the 11+ million illegals have zero impact on housing prices? Especially in the lower income areas?
We all know that 11 million figure is a total bs statistic. Lets boost it up to about 25-30 million. Then id say we are in the ballpark.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Once a week, I teach a life skills at a Salvation Army homeless shelter. Most of my “students” are older white men who lost jobs and can’t find work. There’s some opioid and alcohol addicts in there, but a surprising number of them are clean. Some had good jobs but ageism and a long spell of unemployment works against them.

My hardest job is helping them to keep their spirits up.
Dumb question.

Yes I know its a crappy job but many big box stores near me. If you can fog a mirror and pass a drug screen, you are going to be making 10 bucks an hour inside of 3 weeks. (Drug screen takes 2 of the 3 weeks)

Tell them to go to truck driving school. Many places will pay for it for those in their 50s.

Have they tried those?

Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
white privilege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
What is causing this?!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I live in the Atlanta area (outskirts of it). I work in the Downtown/Midtown area of Atlanta. I see alot of homeless people. Atlanta's homeless problem has always been there. Vast majority of homeless people I see are Black men, mostly older Black men. I occasionally run across a homeless White person, mainly an elderly man. I've come across slightly more homeless Black females than White males. And most of the homeless White people I've seen have been around the suburban area.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Where I live I'm amazed at the amount of homeless men I see begging at intersections. They are usually in their late 20s to 40s , white and look like they've had a rough life.
What is sadder is that the women that I see are usually older than these men and makes me wonder where are these people's families?
It's heart breaking.
Depends on where you live. If this was Seattle or Portland, I would expect it. In the Atlanta area, most of the homeless people I see are Black males, alot of them older men. Some might be younger. A life on the streets will age you fast.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
I don't see a ton of homeless people in Raleigh or even Durham. Fayetteville (home of Fort Bragg) is full of homeless people at every stop light. Most are middle-aged white men, followed by middle-aged black men. Many claim to be military on the signs they're holding. It's rare to see a woman on the street begging around here, it's also rare to see Hispanics or Asians begging.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I don't see a ton of homeless people in Raleigh or even Durham. Fayetteville (home of Fort Bragg) is full of homeless people at every stop light. Most are middle-aged white men, followed by middle-aged black men. Many claim to be military on the signs they're holding. It's rare to see a woman on the street begging around here, it's also rare to see Hispanics or Asians begging.
You know it's mostly not true though. There may be a veteran or two but most of those people make up sympathy stories to get more money. They are shameless.

My favorite median strip beggar was a pretty blonde twentysomething woman wearing little shorts, smiling and flirting with the drivers and making "help me please?" faces. Her sign said her roommate stiffed her out of the rent and she was being evicted. That caused quite the traffic jam.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Where I live I'm amazed at the amount of homeless men I see begging at intersections. They are usually in their late 20s to 40s , white and look like they've had a rough life.
What is sadder is that the women that I see are usually older than these men and makes me wonder where are these people's families?
It's heart breaking.
I hear you. One of them might be my cousin.

They had a supportive family at one point but after 20+ years of *bad stuff* related to drugs (but especially some stuff with their kids which the extended family wound up raising) they now have zero contact with them.

Basically, if they had ever stopped they'd have had a job and a roof over their head the next day. I'm shocked they're still alive to be honest and yes, it's super sad. This wasn't a cousin I'd see once in a great while either, we have a close knit family so for them to get pretty much disowned took *a lot*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies