Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: There is a fire at the fertility clinic. Your options are save one toddler or a container of 1,000 v
Save the child. 48 97.96%
Save the container of 1,000 viable human embryos. 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If it is about preserving life, (and that life begins at conception) then why did the Alabama law specifically exclude the destruction of IVF embryos? Why is is perfectly legally to destroy as many of those as you like?
Because an IVF embryo cannot be used to control and punish a woman for having recreational sex.

Pro-lifers have just outed themselves and their true agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 11:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hmmmm...would you rather save a jar of 100 million sperm that have the potential to fertilize a million eggs? No? Because of the magic of the fertilized egg? I guess potential doesn't really matter?

science can preserve sperm, and science can preserve embyos, but at this point in time science cannot preserve the eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53
Because an IVF embryo cannot be used to control and punish a woman for having recreational sex.

right, because pro lifers really do want to control women or perhaps pro choicers really hate people and want to get rid of as many as possible as soon as possible. that game can be played both ways here.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:04 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's no one? I believe that life does begin at conception. Embryos are still human. Why would anyone want to control women? If you think that's the agenda of the pro-lifers you are badly mistaken. This is about preserving life, not destroying it.

But I would save the child if I had to make a choice and that's the way I voted in your poll.
Lol...this is an entire life we're talking about. Think: your world dramatically altered for its remainder, and the creation of a human being.

It greatly amuses me whenever anyone refers to that as an "inconvenience" as if they just didn't bother to pick up a replacement bottle of mustard because they ran out, and the problem could be solved by driving a few blocks to the grocery store

Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Of course everyone would save the child for many reasons, but this doesn't serve the pro abortion argument in any way. This silly little thought experiment has been floating around for a few years where the illogical claim a "gotcha" victory over the pro life crowd.

Here is a reasonable discussion of it. I know it is a religious site, but it doesn't negate the clarity of the point.
Abortion's New "Gotcha" Argument

Old 05-22-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

What do you actually think it proves? What exactly has been outed?

Old 05-22-2019, 02:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
That you guys don't want women to have recreational extra marital sex, that's what this is really about.

"Perhaps America would have been better off if the Puritans had stayed home"

-Dr Alfred Kinsey

Old 05-22-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That you guys don't want women to have recreational extra marital sex, that's what this is really about.

"Perhaps America would have been better off if the Puritans had stayed home"

-Dr Alfred Kinsey
You guys? Don't ascribe a team to me, because you would be wrong. I'm simply pointing out silly arguments. I've bolded another one above.

That's perhaps the most absurd one I've ever seen. Me, i think women having recreation extra marital sex is a truly wonderful thing.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's no one? I believe that life does begin at conception. Embryos are still human. Why would anyone want to control women? If you think that's the agenda of the pro-lifers you are badly mistaken. This is about preserving life, not destroying it.

But I would save the child if I had to make a choice and that's the way I voted in your poll.
Why? Why would you go after the the child? The kid you are saving is EXACTLY the same as the embryos. Right?

Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Because you, and I, and just about everyone here, except for one (weird) person who responded to this, knows damned well we'd run to and save the one child over the embryos in this hypothetical situation. Don't tell me you wouldn't.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:13 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If it is about preserving life, (and that life begins at conception) then why did the Alabama law specifically exclude the destruction of IVF embryos? Why is is perfectly legally to destroy as many of those as you like?
Technically, an IUD is not a contraceptive, but is an auto-abortive device. It interferes with the implantation of an embryo in the uterus. So, are IUDs now illegal to use in Alabama? If so, what would happen if a woman who had an IUD from elsewhere, traveled through Alabama? Would she be in violation of the law? Would the state conduct examinations of all women's reproductive organs to determine if they were compliant with the law?

Don't underestimate what these people might do and think that something like this is beyond possibility. They're on a roll right now and who knows what other repressive laws they might throw into the mix, before the courts shoot them down. Even if it all gets taken down, they've made their statement and scored their points with the fundamentalists. It's all political theatrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies